• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Boston Marathon attack

So that excuses it does it? Say that to some one's face whose leg was blown off or whose home was flattened or burnt down or who lost a loved one.

We don't have to contribute to the "unfairness" of life or add to the burden of those coping with tragedy. We can do what we can to relieve it and even the odds, by being fair in our own actions. Neither the media nor public reaction needs to be as unequally unfair as this was/is

Just a footnote to the possibility of making a donation, if I try to donate online the country appears but can't get past the requirement of naming the State or the Zip Code in which case it won't go through and the American Red Cross will not take funds for a specific relief situation. Will have to do some further research.:confused:

So that excuses it does it? Say that to some one's face whose leg was blown off or whose home was flattened or burnt down or who lost a loved one.

We don't have to contribute to the "unfairness" of life or add to the burden of those coping with tragedy. We can do what we can to relieve it and even the odds, by being fair in our own actions. Neither the media nor public reaction needs to be as unequally unfair as this was/is

I don't think that coverage in the newspapers helps unless it produces some practical result in the way of aid. Empathy is all very well but it doesn't help in a useful way.

I neither said that excused it, nor did I say it should be contributed to.

What I did say was that life is unfair, and to expect otherwise is unrealistic. That way lies disappointment. Please do not put words in my mouth, or assume you find any unsaid assumptions in same.

Here is my original post....

I think the public can only absorb so much at the time. Those tragedies happened very close in time, and one was simply overrun by the other. It is not right, or fair. But the media in every country is always onto the biggest, the worst, not to mention the latest horrible event. They are similar to baying hounds after the fox.

One thing I've learned in this life. It isn't fair. Don't expect it to be fair. You'll be disappointed almost every time.

Who's bright idea was it to require the fertilizer plant to only carry one million dollars in liability insurance? God Bless Texas.

I don't think that coverage in the newspapers helps unless it produces some practical result in the way of aid. Empathy is all very well but it doesn't help in a useful way.

Coverage does however create awareness and then people can do as you are doing and seek out where to donate. Also it helps if reputable places to donate are publicised as well.

************************​
Who's bright idea was it to require the fertilizer plant to only carry one million dollars in liability insurance? God Bless Texas.

It didn't help that they also concealed the fact they were storing explosive materials illegally.

*************************​

I neither said that excused it, nor did I say it should be contributed to.

What I did say was that life is unfair, and to expect otherwise is unrealistic. That way lies disappointment. Please do not put words in my mouth, or assume you find any unsaid assumptions in same.

Here is my original post....

I was in somewhat agreement with you up to the point you mentioned the unfairness of life. In context of your statement it sounded very much like you were excusing the fact that the media treated the two events differently and that those who complain about it shouldn't because 'life is unfair'. If that is not what you meant I suggest you phrase things a bit more clearly.

And FYI I will NEVER in a million years stop expecting life to be fair regardless of the occasional disappointment when people fail to live up to their potential as decent, kind,caring, compassionate human beings.

*******************​

Just a footnote to the possibility of making a donation, if I try to donate online the country appears but can't get past the requirement of naming the State or the Zip Code in which case it won't go through and the American Red Cross will not take funds for a specific relief situation. Will have to do some further research.:confused:

I'm sorry - sometimes it is incredibly much harder than it should be to donate. One of the many things I would like to change about the world.

:rofl

I don't know about security experts and whatnot. But... when I am out somewhere, legally armed, I never find myself thinking "Man, if some nutcase started killing people, I sure would be sorry I have this .40 cal. in my possession right now." I don't think anyone will change my mind on that. I believe 100% in background checks and I think the upper brass at the NRA are deranged. But... I just don't trust that government & law enforcement can do an adequate job to keep criminals unarmed. If I did, I might be more tempted to relax on my 2nd amendment rights.

I don't think it is bad to live your life hoping for the best (and actively working for the best), but being prepared for the worst. Balance is good.

Amen!
And though I might say more, I won't -- in keeping with my new signature line. :)

And there goes peder with his drive-by post. :D

I wanted to find an amusing image of someone driving by so you didn't take the above comment the wrong way and I swear to Krom that this was the first Google image hit for "drive by post":

ai325.photobucket.com_albums_k372_mum24boyz_curiousgeorge_drive_by_shooting.jpg

:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

Big :rofl: Sparky! But I do think that is exactly the nub of the argument for having one's own protection. And now let the Heavens rumble and the earth start shaking again. :rolleyes:

Pray tell how owning your own weapon is going to protect you from a random shooting that is impossible to predict? Unless you are going to walk around armed to the gills ready to shoot, posing a danger to all and sundry around you, I don't think you stand a chance and even then the odds are against you.

I seem to recall at of the more recent shootings that in fact someone was there with a CC permit and had his firearm but didn't pull it out and eliminate the threat. It was the correct move but it does make you think.

I seem to recall at of the more recent shootings that in fact someone was there with a CC permit and had his firearm but didn't pull it out and eliminate the threat. It was the correct move but it does make you think.

All the people who carry and who want to carry a concealed weapon forget one important factor (or two depending on how you look at it). It's a lot harder in a real life situation to stay calm and know what to do and how to respond than any training ever prepares you for.

Also, and how many times do I need point this out, most of the time pulling a weapon in an already tense situation is just going to escalate the danger not allay it.

I don't think the second amendment needs to be ditched, just amended to take into account the advances in gun technology over the years.

All the people who carry and who want to carry a concealed weapon forget one important factor (or two depending on how you look at it). It's a lot harder in a real life situation to stay calm and know what to do and how to respond than any training ever prepares you for.

Also, and how many times do I need point this out, most of the time pulling a weapon in an already tense situation is just going to escalate the danger not allay it.

Just curious Meadow, does your work involve policing or military training?

It's not hard at all. Point the weapon, pull the trigger. Easy to do, and easier to live with oneself after killing a criminal than it would be after allowing ones family members to injured or worse.

It would be much better to require every household in the country to own and train on a weapon then it would be to outlaw guns.

Back