• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

BOTM:Suggestions, ideas and opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't suppose it is necessary for them to be "literary", however that is measured, but it would be nice if they are at least readable. :)

what about something totally random like .... a book starting with the letter 'R' for 'Readable' LOL

We could go through the whole alphabet ....

Books starting with A for Agreeable, Approachable and Affable

B for better, bitter or best

C for ....

Suggestions for themes:

Books that changed your life? The right book at the right time that gave you an 'a-ha' moment that changed things around for you.

Books that started it all for you? The book you read that just grabbed you and started a life long love for books?

Do we have to read 'good' books? There are tons of books that are perhaps not 'literary' but nonetheless have aspects that are worth discussing.

For the first two, they're worth some thought and consideration. It wouldn't work for me because the books that "changed my life" and "started it all" would be children's books or certain Marvel comic books that dealt with adult issues really well and made me appreciate the complex nuances of adult behavior. I kid you not.

As for "good" books, I guess I wouldn't participate in the BOTM if we weren't reading good/literary books. I want my time to be spent well.

I don't suppose it is necessary for them to be "literary", however that is measured, but it would be nice if they are at least readable. :)

I agree with you on this, the only reason that I haven't as yet joined in a BOTM discussion is that none of the books have, for me been readable.

For the first two, they're worth some thought and consideration. It wouldn't work for me because the books that "changed my life" and "started it all" would be children's books or certain Marvel comic books that dealt with adult issues really well and made me appreciate the complex nuances of adult behavior. I kid you not.

As for "good" books, I guess I wouldn't participate in the BOTM if we weren't reading good/literary books. I want my time to be spent well.

"literary" does not necessarily equal "good" and "good" does not necessarily mean "worth reading" ;)

what I was getting at is that there are a lot of books that would make for a good discussion that are not necessarily burdened with the label of "good" or "literary" and surely it is better to choose books that are readable, and discussable?

PS not all my suggestions would work for me either - I can't for the life of me pick a book 'that started it all' because I have always loved reading as far back as I can remember, nor can I pick a favourite, but that doesn't make them bad suggestions as topics.

Alas I don't know which books I like subscribe to Trade Barrier Regulations, so I cannot suggest any books for book of the month.

I was thinking for the next BOTM, instead of having members nominate books I will pick a decade of one of the major literature prizes such as the Man Booker, Women's Prize for Fiction (formerly Orange Prize) and the Nobel Prize and have everyone vote on that.

Let me know if you (dis)agree, otherwise I'll go ahead with it for November's selection. :)

Perhaps BOTM could be decided further in advance?

When I saw the October poll, I would have voted for Wolf Hall, but there was no way I'd have been able to read it in time for the discussion without putting aside other books I'm already reading. With such a short turn-around period, it almost necessitates going to shorter reads (as in the case of the October botm).

I agree. I'm trying to get things sorted as far as planning goes, which is why I opted for the Man Booker Prize shortlist for November's pick so as to avoid a suggestions thread. For December I'll go back to the old format of suggesting books and, ideally, we should have more time for choosing and reading by then. :)

I would respectfully suggest that the current BOTM forum be closed indefinitely, until sufficient interest might again be shown in reading and discussing selected books on a monthly basis.

Last edited:
I would respectfully suggest that the current BOTM forum be closed indefinitely, until sufficient interest might again be shown in reading and discussing selected books on a monthly basis.

I respectfully suggest that given the interest you've shown in BOTM in the last three challenges has been all but non-existent BOTM makes no difference to you anyway.

I would suggest that the general disinterest that has been shown by the forumites would corroborate Peder's view.

I 'specifically' do not show disinterest but hey silly me for thinking folks around here liked reading books.

I did not target any particular person, simply the general malaise. It has been many years since a BOTM has been truly successful. And I only recall one moderator that has tried to stir interest.

Of course, the ground has to be fertile for anything to flourish. Plus a good selection to choose from.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back