• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Brokeback Mountain

I really liked the movie, haven't read the short story yet, though I'd like to (there are a lot of scenes I'd like to read as well as have seen, in order to keep them even more). And it seems I'm not the only one who keeps thinking about it a lot after seeing it. (;) Sitaram)

Some very interesting thoughts and questions have been raised. Here are two more:
I think there's a point to Jack & Ennis being shepherds, with the symbolism it carries with it - the good shepherd, the lost sheep &c. But I don't think it's as easy as "they're shepherds, so they're good." I'm still musing on what it does mean...
They
never say "I love you"
, right? Right at the end, when Ennis cries "Jack, I swear!" that's as close as he gets.

*mrkgnao*

I just watched this about ten minutes ago. I cried. It was really, really good. I've read about internalized homophobia and things like that, but I'd never seen it portrayed so well. Everything was so well-done that I don't know where to begin.
The story sort of reminds me of my godfather. He refused to admit he was gay and started a family, had two kids and everything. But when his marriage fell apart, he met Paul and he says that was the happiest day of his life. Although he loved his kids, his wife refused to let him see them and claimed he molested them. He lives with Paul now in a ritzy neighborhood on a lake house, and they have a yacht.
I'm happy Hollywood is beginning to see more movies about lesbian, gay, bisexual, and trandgendered people. While there have been LGBT movies in the past, most of them were low-budget and not very good. Now they're being nominated for Oscars. This is the beginning of good things, and people who were closed-minded before will begin to see that gay love isn't all that different from straight love.

ITs EVIL!!! (no, i am not talking about the content)!

I refuse to see the movie. Heath Leger cannot be homosexual. it may be young yes, nieve yes, but i just cant get over it!!!!!!:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

bookgrl92 said:
I refuse to see the movie. Heath Leger cannot be homosexual. it may be young yes, nieve yes, but i just cant get over it!!!!!!:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

It amuses me to realize that most entertainment and literature involves some form of sinfulness, whether it be murder, adultery, fornication, stealing, lying, back-biting gossip, covetousness, envy, pride, sloth, gluttony, etc. I seem to remember someone once saying "he who is guilty in one point of the law is guilty of the whole law." There are even those who believe that judging others is a form of evil, since we cannot know the heart of another.

So, if we were to reject all literature, poetry, cinema, stage and song which depicts such sins or evils, then not much would be left.

I doubt if those who enjoyed watching Silence of the Lambs are suspected of being serial killers or a cannibals. Yet there are many who suspect any Brokeback Mountain fan of being gay.

There are cultures which deem our entire culture as demonic because we romanticize the use of alcohol in our fiction.

I am reminded of that old saying, Physician, heal thyself and also, that other saying about motes (specks) and planks (beams).

It might be argued that the greatest evil is the absence of charity, compassion and tolerance.

bookgrl92 said:
You're making yourself look like a homophobe and a bigot. Heath Ledger is not gay. His character is. Get over it. Over 10% of the population, including myself, are homosexual, bisexual, or transgendered, whether they're out of the closet or not. So yeah, every actor will eventually play a homosexual character.
Besides that, it's considered to be perfectly normal for a guy to watch two girls "making out." If you tell any teenage boy a certain movie has Angelina Jolie and Drew Barrymore making out (likely, as both are bi), he's certain to be renting it. What's wrong with a girl enjoying watching guys make out? I find it exciting, and I'm not ashamed to admit that.
You're so closed-minded that you can't even accept Heath Ledger pretending to be gay. That's homophobia. You know what a phobia is? A disease. It's one thing to disagree with homosexuality, but this is ridiculous.

bookgrl92 said:

Please tell me your joking. What if he was a mo? He's still handsome and a good actor.

Sitaram said:
I am told that Anthony Hopkins is not really a cannibal.

I get your point, Sitaram (and it was funny), but being gay/Lesbian isn't a crime. I continue to ask:

Who is it hurting?

I haven't seen (or even read) Brokeback Mountain yet, but it seems to me that the sorrow in these matters is usually caused by the perceived need for secrecy and deception.

:(

StillILearn said:
I get your point, Sitaram (and it was funny), but being gay/Lesbian isn't a crime. I continue to ask:

Who is it hurting?

I haven't seen (or even read) Brokeback Mountain yet, but it seems to me that the sorrow in these matters is usually caused by the perceived need for secrecy and deception.

:(
Thank you, StillILearn! It's hard to find people nowadays who don't think people like me are hurting people by being who we are. I've heard what the conservatives say about me. (Apparently, I'm a communist pig who's trying to take over the government and transform everyone else into homosexuals. And it's my fault Hurricane Katrina happened. Who knew?)
The only thing I thought was wrong about Brokeback was both men were married through part of their affair. I'm definitely a strong believer in marital fidelity. But both of them were trying to live what they percieved as normal lives as heterosexual men. It hurt them badly. It is common, and it was especially then, for gay men to marry and pretend to be straight, sometimes just to convince themselves.

I'm drooping with weariness tonight, VR, but I have something from Wayne Dyer's new book, Inspiration, that might add to this discussion. I guess I should start a new thread.

I do wish somebody would tell me (bookgrl92, maybe) what is so scary about the idea of folks of the same sex loving each other?

Who on earth does it hurt? Assuming that they are consenting adults? And that they are not already in a relationship with somebody else? Of course, that is quite common among heterosexuals, and is commonly known as cheating or infidelity, and deserves a thread of its own.

Anybody? Wherein lies the crime?

StillILearn said:
Who on earth does it hurt? Assuming that they are consenting adults? And that they are not already in a relationship with somebody else? Of course, that is quite common among heterosexuals, and is commonly known as cheating or infidelity, and deserves a thread of its own.
Actually, in my experience, fewer gay people seem to cheat than straight people. I think it's mostly because if someone found out (and this is purely hypothetical) that my gay best friend cheated on his boyfriend Joey, they could say that it's because he had no moral controls and can't control himself from being promiscuous. No one wants to be accused of that. And, for the record, my friend isn't promiscuous...in fact, Joey's the first person he's gone beyond kissing with, and they're both 18.
Maybe we should start another thread...this is getting off the intended topic.

Great movie!

I finally watched the movie last night, after reading this thread over and over, as well as finally finding a copy that had not been checked out before the wife and I made it to the video store. I did find it to be a very powerful movie. It was moving in that you could sincerely feel for them and the plight that they were in. I'd argue as well that perhaps it is for that reason why the movie has elicited such negativity from people. The fact that marriage and children doesn't bring happiness to some people as it does for others, let alone gay people who are "ill" to some extent in the mind of some, could explain a lot of the venom directed towards the movie. I really enjoyed it and would watch it again. I don't know if this is one that will be in my personal video collection, but it will definitely go down as a classic. No doubt about that.

Just found an awesome site where you can find just about every critical review written about Brokeback Mountain and other movies. It's called metacritic, pretty darn good site.:cool:

Sitaram said:

Wow......she really let 'em have it.

We should have known conservative heffalump academy voters would have rather different ideas of what was stirring contemporary culture. Roughly 6,000 film industry voters, most in the Los Angeles area, many living cloistered lives behind wrought-iron gates or in deluxe rest-homes, out of touch not only with the shifting larger culture and the yeasty ferment that is America these days, but also out of touch with their own segregated city, decide which films are good. And rumour has it that Lions Gate inundated the academy voters with DVD copies of Trash - excuse me - Crash a few weeks before the ballot deadline. Next year we can look to the awards for controversial themes on the punishment of adulterers with a branding iron in the shape of the letter A, runaway slaves, and the debate over free silver.
After a good deal of standing around admiring dresses and sucking up champagne, people obeyed the stentorian countdown commands to get in their seats as "the show" was about to begin. There were orders to clap and the audience obediently clapped. From the first there was an atmosphere of insufferable self-importance emanating from "the show" which, as the audience was reminded several times, was televised and being watched by billions of people all over the world. Those lucky watchers could get up any time they wished and do something worthwhile, like go to the bathroom. As in everything related to public extravaganzas, a certain soda pop figured prominently. There were montages, artfully meshed clips of films of yesteryear, live acts by Famous Talent, smart-ass jokes by Jon Stewart who was witty and quick, too witty, too quick, too eastern perhaps for the somewhat dim LA crowd. Both beautiful and household-name movie stars announced various prizes. None of the acting awards came Brokeback's way, you betcha. The prize, as expected, went to Philip Seymour Hoff-man for his brilliant portrayal of Capote, but in the months preceding the awards thing, there has been little discussion of acting styles and various approaches to character development by this year's nominees. Hollywood loves mimicry, the conversion of a film actor into the spittin' image of a once-living celeb. But which takes more skill, acting a person who strolled the boulevard a few decades ago and who left behind tapes, film, photographs, voice recordings and friends with strong memories, or the construction of characters from imagination and a few cold words on the page? I don't know. The subject never comes up. Cheers to David Strathairn, Joaquin Phoenix and Hoffman, but what about actors who start in the dark?

Everyone thanked their dear old mums, scout troop leaders, kids and consorts. More commercials, more quick wit, more clapping, beads of sweat, Stewart maybe wondering what evil star had lighted his way to this labour. Despite the technical expertise and flawlessly sleek set evocative of 1930s musicals, despite Dolly Parton whooping it up and Itzhak Perlman blending all the theme music into a single performance (he represented "culchah"), there was a kind of provincial flavour to the proceedings reminiscent of a small-town talent-show night. Clapping wildly for bad stuff enhances this. There came an atrocious act from Hustle and Flow, Three 6 Mafia's violent rendition of "It's Hard Out Here for a Pimp", a favourite with the audience who knew what it knew and liked. This was a big winner, a bushel of the magic gold-coated gelded godlings going to the rap group.

The hours sped by on wings of boiler plate. Brokeback's first award was to Argentinean Gustavo Santaolalla for the film's plangent and evocative score. Later came the expected award for screenplay adaptation to Diana Ossana and Larry McMurtry, and only a short time later the director's award to Ang Lee. And that was it, three awards, putting it on equal footing with King Kong. When Jack Nicholson said best picture went to Crash, there was a gasp of shock, and then applause from many - the choice was a hit with the home team since the film is set in Los Angeles. It was a safe pick of "controversial film" for the heffalumps.

After three-and-a-half hours of butt-numbing sitting we stumbled away, down the magnificent staircases, and across the red carpet. In the distance men were shouting out limousine numbers, "406 . . . 27 . . . 921 . . . 62" and it seemed someone should yell "Bingo!" It was now dark, or as dark as it gets in the City of Angels. As we waited for our number to be called we could see the enormous lighted marquee across the street announcing that the "2006 Academy Award for Best Picture had gone to Crash". The red carpet now had taken on a different hue, a purple tinge.

The source of the colour was not far away. Down the street, spreading its baleful light everywhere, hung a gigantic, vertical, electric-blue neon sign spelling out S C I E N T O L O G Y.

"Seven oh six," bawled the limo announcer's voice. Bingo.

For those who call this little piece a Sour Grapes Rant, play it as it lays.

http://books.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,,1727309,00.html

I do wonder what a conservative heffalump is.:D Yet another fascinating link discovered by you Sitaram, job well done.

I'm going to need to start buying used DVD's. There are a lot that I want and I don't have much money. Well, I sorta do, but it's for Europe.

Back