• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Brokeback Mountain

StillILearn said:
Incredibly beautiful. Credible. Brutal. Now I need to read it.

I agree entirely. For me, I've heard countless times in the previous months about "the gay cowboy movie" but it's more than that and the negative descriptor does the film no justice. How this one didn't win more awards is beyond me.:rolleyes:

If you take the film for whats its worth, be mature about it, putting all issues aside, it was good movie.

It was well directed. It leaves an impression. It was a powerful and moving film.

Im glad it didnt win best movie because it definitely wasnt but it was a respectable film. The reason I respect it has to do with my core value, what I embrace most of all, deep down in my heart, which is unconditional, undefeatable love. I am a romantic at heart.

7/10

I'm not sure about this, but didn't Crash beat it to Best movie? If so, I'm not sure I'd agree with it. I thought it was a lovely film and very touching. I was left thinking of alternatives for the couple after watching it.

As for Crash - not bad, good how the thing unfolds and reveals the connections, but not a patch on Brokeback Mountain IMO.

I haven't seen the movie, but I was in Borders a couple months ago and was surprised to discover it was actually based on a book (yes, I know, this point has already been established). But I was especially amused that the book only had 55 pages. I realize that it was originally part of a book of short stories...but still. The shortest book makes for the biggest headlines. I remain amused.

55 pages!, sheesh, getting to be rather Nabokovian there. Seeing this thread made me doing some digging around the net and I found an interesting interview of director Ang Lee.:)

tundra said:
I was especially amused that the book only had 55 pages.

I'm amazed at that. The one I read only had seventeen pages. Was the print you saw like one word per page, or something?

With pictures? Some sort of Tom of Finland effort with Jack and Ennis and the guy who paid them to do the job.

I watched the movie with my boyfriend last night. My boyfriend didn't want to see it when I told what the movie was about, since he didn't managed to come up with another movie we could watch, we watched it.

Not quit sure what to say about the movie. I have nothing against homosexuals (hopefully I didn't spell that wronge), but I haven't given much thoughts to there sexuallife before. It was abit strange in the beginning to see the sexualscenes. But who can't like a pure lovestory as Brokeback Mountain? My boyfriend also found their story beautiful.
What I didn't like was all the slow parts where things hardly happend and there was in my opinion to less conversation.

I will not run to the bookstore to get this thin book, but I'm glad that I took the time to see this movie, because it gave my something.

6/10

Stewart said:
The one I read only had seventeen pages. Was the print you saw like one word per page, or something?

Yes, the published-separately edition (with the orange and black silhouette cover) is 55 pages. That's the one I have. I didn't want to buy the whole collection Close Range because it was a movie tie-in edition.

Baddie said:
My boyfriend didn't want to see it when I told what the movie was about

This sort of thing always makes me laugh. It reminds me of the Christina Ricci film The Opposite of Sex, where two men kiss and then Ricci's character in a voice-over, says, "By the way girls, if the guy you're with just went ewwww! or made some stupid comment, that means he's what we call a closet case."

Some day (not in the too far-off future, I very fervently hope) we are going to ask ourselves what all the fuss was about.

Who does it hurt? Who does it possibly hurt when two other humans love each other? What is the threat to the rest of the planet?

Let's worry about other people harming each other instead. (See Samerron's thread.)

E. Annie Proulx has done humankind a great favor by giving us a short story that has resulted in so many conversations just like this one.

StillILearn said:
Who does it hurt? Who does it possibly hurt when two other humans love each other?

In the case of this film, the wives and children of Jack and Ennis.

Stewart said:
In the case of this film, the wives and children of Jack and Ennis.
Good point, Stewart, and I agree with you. If we look deeper, the pain was caused by lies and deception. Those things can occur in any relationship.

Can we talk about that part of the story?

StillILearn said:
Annie Proulx has done humankind a great favor by giving us a short story that has resulted in so many conversations just like this one.

Up to a point. The problem is that everyone here agrees. The people who don't, who are the ones who would most benefit from seeing the film, are never going to, nor join a discussion like this.

Shade =
Up to a point. The problem is that everyone here agrees. The people who don't, who are the ones who would most benefit from seeing the film, are never going to, nor join a discussion like this.
I'm not hearing that. I'm hearing that a lot of people who are fiercely uncomfortable with the subject have gone to see the film and are ,at the very least, curious about other people's opinions. Baddie's boyfriend watched it and Baddie is willing to talk about it here.

I will not run to the bookstore to get this thin book, but I'm glad that I took the time to see this movie, because it gave my something.

Baddie, I'll ask you. Do you feel okay talking about your reaction to this movie a little bit more?

I can't wait to read the book in all honesty, it would make for a heck of a good BOTM here.

Gawd, SFG, it's a short story that was published in The New Yorker (which you say you subscribe to) and was linked to on this site by me, in some thread about actual reading.

Back