• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Buying a book you already have

Pearl

A few months ago I stocked up on books at a library book sale. Mostly just mysteries and stuff so I forgot what I had very quickly. Then I went down to a discount book store and looked through their selection, took my books home, went to reorganize the 'used' book piles I have and lo and behold I had just purchased the same exact book I did at the library book sale. Regardless if the book I just purchased was $1.50 and the library one was 25 cents, I was still pissed. And the used bookstore has a 'No return' policy. :mad: Someones getting a mystery novel for Christmas this year.

Hahaha! :)

Pearl, I bought a book that I originally got free for a cheap price, but that I did on purpose. :) THe book in question is Lois M Bujold's Vor Game, and I had my first copy in ebook format. However my PDA was damaged and was sent for servicing, and I was in the middle of a Bujold streak, so I saw a cheap copy, I bought it.

I did buy magazines of the same month a couple of times before though. Those magazines cost more than the book I just bought, and man was I pissed. Unfortunately I can't give magazines away for Christmas...

ds

Another way to make me cat spitting mad is for me to buy a "new" title by a familiar author, only to find out it is really an older book with a different title...:mad: Then I'm liable to say things we don't need to repeat..

I've done it before. Generally with books I have not read yet, but are sitting around in the TBR heaps. When I figure it out I usually leave a copy in a coffee shop with a bookcrossing sticker on it.

I've never done it, but my mother has experienced this. She'll buy me a hardcover book about some historical period for Christmas and then get me the same book next year. The extra copy does make a nice Christmas gift for a relative that we have no idea what to get for.

Omg Pearl would you really waste $3.00 in gas to return your book even if they let you?

I've never had this happen to me but I definately seems like an easy thing to do. Sometimes I'll buy cheap books I already own if my copy isn't in very good condition.

I've done this maybe a dozen times. Most of the time it's either because they changed the title or the cover of a book, or it's book such and such of a series, where I'm waiting for the whole thing in paperback before I read it.

I don't tend to do it as I seem to have a total recall over the titles and authors of every book I have read and/or own. That said, when I was sorting them out into a pile for keeping and a pile for selling, I did notice that I had two copies of Wizard and Glass by Stephen King. They still haven't sold. :(

I've purchased books that I've bought before, but only because the previous copies were all but falling apart. I know, I know, don't judge a book by its cover, but I like my bookshelf to look somewhat presentable. It's never happened by accident, for I tend to remember what I have on the shelf.

We've purchased multiple copies of certain books too. Not so much for me or my husband, but as the kids have gotten older and certain favorite "family owned" books have gotten rattier from use, they've started their own collections of their favorites. To an outsider it might look odd that each reader has their own set of The Chronicles of Narnia, for example, but there really is a method to all this madness.

I own four copies of "It". The first one had a repeated ection in the middle of around one hundred pages (annoying!!!!!!), the next I lent to a friend and didnt see for a looong time, the third was to replace the second, and the fourth....well...it was cheap!

I have two copies of Franzen's The Corrections. The difference between the two: One is softback and the other hardback. I found the former in a library book sale for a buck. A few months later I found the latter for two bucks in the same book sale.

Does anyone want the softback???? :rolleyes:

I bought two copies of Susanna Clarke's Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell... One red paperback and one box set, so I can always have my favourite part (the middle part) with me :p

A few months ago I stocked up on books at a library book sale. Mostly just mysteries and stuff so I forgot what I had very quickly. Then I went down to a discount book store and looked through their selection, took my books home, went to reorganize the 'used' book piles I have and lo and behold I had just purchased the same exact book I did at the library book sale. Regardless if the book I just purchased was $1.50 and the library one was 25 cents, I was still pissed. And the used bookstore has a 'No return' policy. :mad: Someones getting a mystery novel for Christmas this year.

I have ordered from a book shop and then a few months later i goto amazon and i see a book what i want so i pre-order it and on the day when i get it from amazon the shop delivers the same book.

Back