• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Caitlin R. Kiernan

Anamnesis

Is anyone a reader of her work? I read her novel Silk and had mixed reactions about it. I really enjoyed the style of the book, which was very lush and descriptive. The references to certain horror films and alternative/goth acts were cool too. I was reminded of Poppy Z. Brite's early work and in terms of setting up the world where her characters dwell, Kiernan is just as good as Brite. Whereas Brite was (and still is) able to create memorable characters, I really didn't feel anything for the characters in Silk. I didn't despise them but I certainly didn't grow to love them. Certain elements of the plot left me confused and not at all sure as to what the point was.

After looking up this book on Amazon, I found out she wrote a sequel called Murder of Angels. Maybe this will clear up some of the questions I had when reading Silk.

I've read Silk as well. I thought the prose was excellent and the story just so-so. Definitely more atmosphere than plot. She got compared to Brite a lot, and I think they're actually friends in real life. Never read the sequel.

I have Threshold by her, which I never finished. Also, lying around somewhere, is Candles For Elizabeth, the slimmest little volume of three short stories. If she was better known it may actually be worth something. Ah well!

After looking up this book on Amazon, I found out she wrote a sequel called Murder of Angels. Maybe this will clear up some of the questions I had when reading Silk.

Did ya?

I am on a Kiernan /Brite shopping spree tonight.I ordered Tales of Pain and Wonder and hopefully will find Brite's short stories too.

Actually . . . no. I honestly forgot about Kiernan for a little while. Then I went to B&N recently and they didn't have MOA. I ended up getting Threshold instead.

How many Brite books have you read? I was obsessed with her work in high school and the beginning of college (even now she's still one of my favorites).

Actually . . . no. I honestly forgot about Kiernan for a little while. Then I went to B&N recently and they didn't have MOA. I ended up getting Threshold instead.

How many Brite books have you read? I was obsessed with her work in high school and the beginning of college (even now she's still one of my favorites).

Well,they couldn't order Tales of Pain and Wonder-Kiernan,I have to find it elsewhere.It's not easy to find their work in any bookstore,which is sad so I ordered Silk and Threshhold (I think) and also Brite's collectted short stories.

There is an article I read that (Kiernan) said she writes about life and everything around us,not for entertainment reading but for feeling and thinking.

Edit:correction,this is what I ordered:1.Are You Loathsome Tonight?: A Collection Of Short Stories - 2. Wormwood: A Collection Of Short Stories - 3. Silk

Back