• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Can someone recommend some good Thrillers for me?

Stacey_Reads

I'd like to read a thriller. Nothing set in a courtroom or political.

I haven't really read any, so don't be affraid to name off classics.

This was the first thriller I ever read and it opened up a huge part of my life (my obsession with crime and thriller reading)

Nicci French - Beneath the Skin.

Nicci French is actually people, Nicci Gerrard and Sean French. The Husband and wife who both live in France and work as journalists, write thriller novels together, and they are brilliant!! This is the first I read and probably my favourite. There other ones are excellent as well. I have read most of them...all excpet 2 I think. Brilliant.

Also, James Seigel, Derailed. LOVED IT!!

If you read either one of these books...PM me and we can discuss them!!

Lani

You could try Jeffrey Deaver. He wrote The Coffin Dancer and The Bone Collector. They are forensic, mystery/police type thrillers.

Tess Gerritsen is also pretty good - she writes medical thrillers.

I'd go for any books by:

Mo hayder
Tess Gerritsen
Karin Slaughter
Kathy Reichs
Patricia Cornwell

as far as I can remember none of them are courtroom or political, some are medical but all are good!

I had a look at a couple of Lee Child novels around the time that the secret James Bond author was announced as he is one of those heading the suspects.

I found his prose to be that generic sort you get in mainstream thrillers. If you were to give me a James Patterson, a John Grisham, and a Lee Child with the authors' names removed then I expect I would not be able to tell the difference. Well, I could spot the John Grisham - that would be the one about law that ends (if I got that far) with a deus ex machina.

As I said, I had a look at a couple. By that I meant I had a browse in a shop to see if his style was comparable to Fleming's to be the possible writer of the new James Bond novel. I wouldn't read them.

About Lee Childs..I read The Codex, and enjoyed it well enough. As Stewart says, it wasn't great literature. The story was entertaining, but seemed predictable if you've watched the Indiana Jones films.

wilderness said:
This was the first thriller I ever read and it opened up a huge part of my life (my obsession with crime and thriller reading)
Nicci French - Beneath the Skin.
Lani

:rolleyes: Alright, I admit to never reading a thriller/mystery/crime. You've talked me into this one. Anyone who sounds that enthsiastic has me hooked.

abecedarian said:
About Lee Childs..I read The Codex, and enjoyed it well enough.

:confused: Lee Child never wrote anything called 'The Codex'. Are you thinking of another author, or another book?

I would recommend Caught Stealing by Charlie Huston. More info and excerpts available here: Charlie Huston

Appolonia said:
:confused: Lee Child never wrote anything called 'The Codex'. Are you thinking of another author, or another book?

I would recommend Caught Stealing by Charlie Huston. More info and excerpts available here: Charlie Huston
There was a book titled the Codex written by Douglas Preston, and there is Codex by Lev Grossman (which I have but haven't read yet).

Appolonia said:

Could be, since I didn't look it up. I read one last year that involved an Incan or Mayan codex that contained forumulas to create medicines from jungle plants and the plot revolved around various groups who wanted to claim it for themselves.

For a "classic" thriller, you'd be hard pressed to beat Frederick Forsythe's The Day of The Jackal. For something a little out of the mold, you might want to try Eco's The Name of the Rose or Neal Stephenson's Cryptonomicon . . . maybe even Haruki Murakami's Hard-Boiled Wonderland and The End of the World.

I really enjoyed "In The Electric Mist With The Confederate Dead" by James Lee Burke.

It has a nice mix of suspense, the spritual and history, with what I found to be a tremendously likeable protagonist. The story is set in Louisiana, so there is a lovely atmosphere that makes you feel hot and sweaty just reading it (temperature-wise, you dirty minded people!)

I agree with Patricia Cornwell, but try and get a Kay Scarpetta book from BEFORE The Last Precinct. My first was Potter's Field and I loved it. Very intense.

I always look for some Crichton whenever I'm in the mood for a thriller. Prey and Jurassic Park are especially outstanding.

Back