• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Challenge: Write a Short Story in a Week

oh dear I think I need to pay more attention to what is in front of me. I didn't know that I was supposed to choose the words.

Words are (now that I know what I'm supposed to be doing):

1. Bumfuzzle - confuse; perplex; fluster
2. bibliophage - one who devours books, literally or figuratively
3. grapheme - A written symbol that is used to represent speech.
4. xiphoid - Shaped like a sword blade.
5. Finnimbrun - A trinket or knick-knack

Rules:

1. Choose one or more of these words as your theme.

2. Write something. Write anything! With words!

3. Length and style irrelevant.

4. You have one week.

The clock starts now!

Reminder the clock is ticking... who else is joining in? I had a brain burst of inspiration yesterday - rainy weather does that to me, even with wretchedly boring forced downtime with the power out.

Well done Meadow, that story was really good - and it only took you a day? Good Job!:) I'm in. Was sick on the week end, but will get right to it.
Sparhawk, you're in yeah?

thanks lol ... when inspiration hits ... it hits ... and I sort of blurp the words out in one go. When it doesn't hit ... nothing happens. At ALL for MONTHS! :)

Well done Meadow, that story was really good - and it only took you a day? Good Job!:) I'm in. Was sick on the week end, but will get right to it.
Sparhawk, you're in yeah?

Yes still busy busy. Hope you feel better. This one has dragons like all good stories should.

Frequencies, done yesterday, being posted separately as long as I have it -- prologue to a memoir segment of mine.

My short Story is called Tri-colours. Be warned - it's not finished, no where near, only the first two chapters are done, with room for a lot of improvement. Keep in mind it is a first draft.:oops:

Attachments

• Tri-coloured - SSIAW BAR - Summerflyte.pdf
    333.1 KB · Views: 8
My short Story is called Tri-colours. Be warned - it's not finished, no where near, only the first two chapters are done, with room for a lot of improvement. Keep in mind it is a first draft.:oops:

Yes as you say - unfinished, but a very interesting start. I would love to read more.

Just finished reading it Summerflyte...very interesting premise, and your cutting back and forth with the action of the protagonists is keeping the suspense going.
I wish I could do as well with a first draft. :cool:

No need to hold back, summerflyte. You have great imagination and I, too, want to hear where the story is going. Yays for you. :flowers:

maybe a common theme, such as an emotion or a place. those seem to work well in contests i've entered in the past. i'm thinking of doing something similar in my FB writing group, too.

http://www.facebook.com/groups/116008365225772/

feel free to join, if you want. i have (almost) daily prompts, we share essays and tips, etc. just a fun fiction writers group.

Back