• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Challenge: Write a Short Story in a Week

maybe a common theme, such as an emotion or a place. those seem to work well in contests i've entered in the past. i'm thinking of doing something similar in my FB writing group, too.

http://www.facebook.com/groups/116008365225772/

feel free to join, if you want. i have (almost) daily prompts, we share essays and tips, etc. just a fun fiction writers group.

well here is a comprehensive list of 'Feeling' words - if some one wants to pick a few????

http://www.psychpage.com/learning/library/assess/feelings.html

or and A - Z list for kids:

http://kidsactivities.about.com/od/LifeSkills/qt/Feelings-Words-From-A-To-Z-The-Abcs-Of-Emotion.htm

some creative words on that one.

Yep, lets go with it.
I'm gonna skip the next round, I was too nervous just putting up the first couple of chapters:oops: Who's up next to pick the words and start the challenge, Sparhawk and I already had our turns, who wants to take the reins?

Just remember the person who kick starts makes the rules for the challenge, in mine I asked you all to use all 10 words in your story, Sparhawk asked us to choose one and make a theme, you can go with either of these or make up other rules...we did decide not to put a word limit on it though and for it to be any genre and any style. Please keep that in mind when making up the rules. You also have to choose the words from suggestions posted from other members, not your own words.

Just list out the rules like Sparhawk did, and don't forget to mention what day the challenge starts and finishes.

I'll be plugging along on memoir, now getting into areas I probably won't post. But best wishes to all. The submissions have been great. :)

gaumless \GAWM-lis\, adjective:
lacking in vitality or intelligence; stupid, dull, or clumsy.
A little chuckle shook the Major, but he said regretfully: "Nay, I'm too gaumless."
-- Georgette Heyer, The Unknown Ajax, 1959​
"Did I ever look so stupid: so 'gaumless,' as Joseph calls it?" "Worse," I replied, "because more sullen with it."
-- Emily Brontė, Wuthering Heights, 1847​
Gaumless, I reckon he was. When I saw I wasn't getting any of his gasper I left him there.
-- Jeremy Gavron, The Book of Israel, 2002​
A variant spelling of gormless, gaumless first appeared in English in the mid-1700s from the now-outdated British term gome. When combined with the suffice -less the word literally means "devoid of understanding."

lol as I was reading your post I was thinking I know that as gormless and lo and there it is at the end.

Got any more suggestions?

Whose turn is it anyway?

obstropolous - a humorous English use of the word obstreporous, except my father used to call if obstrocolous, which I think sounds funnier; not that I want to write anything but just added this as one I remember it from childhood.:D

Well if no-one objects I will pick up the reins for this one.

Suggestions so far:

* emotions

* place

* words:

gaumless \GAWM-lis\, adjective:​
lacking in vitality or intelligence; stupid, dull, or clumsy.​
obstropolous - a humorous English use of the word obstreperous (meaning noisy and difficult to control.)​
Chirography - The art of handwriting.​

Any other ideas?

What about throwing in some objects into the mix and choosing an emotion, a word and an object?

Do we suggest a place/object and then some are chosen like with the words or do we choose any place/object on our own?

What ever you all decide is good, just go for it. Meadow seems to be taking the reins with this challenge. Set up the rules, and define the start/ finish line Meadow. Good Luck everyone, happy writing!:)

Ok so here are the parameters:

Choose ONE place to START or SET your story in:

• bus stop shelter
  • train station waiting room
  • space station embarkation area
  • waiting room at the vet for mythical creatures
  • waiting booth for inter-dimensional transfers

choose ONE emotion as your main theme:

• jinxed
  • vexed
  • whimsical
  • zany
  • zonked
  • zen

use ONE of these words:

• gaumless \GAWM-lis\, adjective:lacking in vitality or intelligence; stupid, dull, or clumsy.
  • obstropolous - a humorous English use of the word obstreperous (meaning noisy and difficult to control.)
  • Chirography - The art of handwriting.

Any length or format will do - just be inspired to write creatively and have fun.

READY STEADY GO!

I'm also busy with something, sparked by a line in a movie, but I don't think I'm following my parameters very well :D :D :D

Back