• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Changes to the site

We might remove the warning bar from the main thread pages and just keep it on the profile page - hasn't been fully evaluated yet.

The google search bar will most likely remain gone, but the google ads block will return as it's a major source of income for the site (we get paid for every click on it!).

If some of the buttons are not working, you could try emptying your browser's cache just to make sure you're not using an older version of some of the javascript. There are also different editor option ranging from a basic editor to a full-blown WYSIWYG editor.

I haven't had any problems with any of the posting functions tonight. That could be because I am logging on well after the changes took place. I don't know how I feel about the warning function. I suppose it would be helpful if I was concerned about my warning level or something like that. I don't feel that it is "big brotherish" as it would seem that it is simply a reference for individual users to keep track of their own performances. It's not like everyone can see how many warnings a person has (which I don't think I would care for at all). I did notice that the "New Posts" thing was off of the main page. However, I just hopped right over to the Forums page and clicked on it there. I think members will get used to clicking in slightly different places after a few visits. Overall, I think change is usually for the better, so I'm not complaining.

Is there a way to hyper-link?, perhaps I'm missing something, I'm not too tech savvy.:eek:

Warn-eliminate it, please

I do not like the new "Warn" feature, even if other members cannot see it when I post, I can, and it's deeply offensive to me. It makes me feel as if I am here on borrowed time. No other forums I belong to have this feature and I feel it is not something that is necessary or welcoming. Frankly I wouldn't care to see another member's rating if I click on his or her profile either-it is information that should be between the moderators and individual members. I'm sure that members who have received warnings in the past know full well how many chances they have before they're out.

I see that since last night that I can't see a Warn level if I click on someone else's profile but I still don't like seeing it every time I post.

I see your point, but it also serves a valid function as well. Other boards that I'm a member of have a policy that after 6 months, you can ask that the "strike" be removed, granted that you've behaved and that you come across as being sincere for your error. How about instituting that?:)

SFG75 said:
a policy that after 6 months, you can ask that the "strike" be removed, granted that you've behaved and that you come across as being sincere for your error.

Would that this worked with ciggies as well, eh? (Just teasing you.)

;)

Miss Shelf said:
I do not like the new "Warn" feature, even if other members cannot see it when I post, I can, and it's deeply offensive to me. It makes me feel as if I am here on borrowed time. No other forums I belong to have this feature and I feel it is not something that is necessary or welcoming. Frankly I wouldn't care to see another member's rating if I click on his or her profile either-it is information that should be between the moderators and individual members. I'm sure that members who have received warnings in the past know full well how many chances they have before they're out.
I fail to see how it is offensive or unwelcoming, would you care to explain yourself further? I don't think that there is anything in the least bit intimidating about a feature that enables someone to see how many warnings they have. You have also got to remember that this function is not only informing members of how many warnings they have received, but also helps the mods to keep track of it instead of doing it manually, as Darren explained either previously or on another thread of a similar topic.

SFG75 said:
I see your point, but it also serves a valid function as well. Other boards that I'm a member of have a policy that after 6 months, you can ask that the "strike" be removed, granted that you've behaved and that you come across as being sincere for your error. How about instituting that?:)

Well, some of us don't have any strikes.

MonkeyCatcher said:
I fail to see how it is offensive or unwelcoming, would you care to explain yourself further? I don't think that there is anything in the least bit intimidating about a feature that enables someone to see how many warnings they have. You have also got to remember that this function is not only informing members of how many warnings they have received, but also helps the mods to keep track of it instead of doing it manually, as Darren explained either previously or on another thread of a similar topic.

I thought I explained my self well enough-this is the only forum I've ever seen where members have their "strike limit" in front of them with each post they make. I'm not "intimidated"-I'm offended-it's a blatant statement that I'm being watched and I'd better behave, even though I don't feel I deserve this treatment. If it's so hard for the moderators to keep trak, maybe they should just limit the strikes to one warning and then out, instead of giving three chances.

Miss Shelf said:
I thought I explained my self well enough-this is the only forum I've ever seen where members have their "strike limit" in front of them with each post they make.
And that somehow makes it a bad thing? Originality is not always negative.

I'm not "intimidated"-I'm offended-it's a blatant statement that I'm being watched and I'd better behave, even though I don't feel I deserve this treatment.
There's another purpose for the moderators? Of course you are being watched and of course you should behave. It doesn't matter if you "deserve" it or not, it's the moderators job to watch and make sure that people stay in line, and I think that they do a good job of it. Imagine what this place would be like if people wern't watched and didn't behave. There's nothing "offensive" about it, common sense states that it is to be done.

If it's so hard for the moderators to keep trak, maybe they should just limit the strikes to one warning and then out, instead of giving three chances.
It doesn't matter if it's one strike or three - they still need to be kept track of.

Umm... when I click "new posts"... sometimes it tells me that there aren't any... (when I know for a fact there are!) and it tells me to just click "here" or something to go over the posts from the previous 24 hours. I don't like that very much. :(

:p But I'll deal! :)

Libre - were you logged in at the time? You normally only get the option to read Today's Posts if you aren't logged in :) This changes to New Posts once you log in.

HTH

I'm a dufus - where is this warn thingamabob you all speak of?

Edit: Oh, there it is.

Ps: I like the new look -even the edit page is nifty, now!

Ice, yes, I was logged on to the site and it told me that there weren't any new posts when I clicked on "new posts" ... and gave me the option instead to review posts over the previous 24 hours... it didn't say "today's posts"...

Well, this didn't happen today, but it happened yesterday for the first time to me. :confused:

Thank you for any help!

Oh right - now I see. It is a new feature of VBulletin. If there are no new posts it allows you to view all posts that have been made within the last 24 hours (a very useful feature!).

It only occurs if there are no new posts since your last visit though.

Ice said:
Oh right - now I see. It is a new feature of VBulletin. If there are no new posts it allows you to view all posts that have been made within the last 24 hours (a very useful feature!).

It only occurs if there are no new posts since your last visit though.

I hadn't noticed this, but I think it is great. I often log on from work. I can get suddenly called away and be out for hours at a time. I've many times left myself logged in because I was in the middle of something. Now, I'll be able to see the recent posts that the software assumes I've already seen.

It only occurs if there are no new posts since your last visit though
Well... that's what it used to do for me... but I checked into TBF Friday afternoon... and didn't do so until Saturday evening... and it told me that thing that goes something like, "no new posts you may click here to review posts that occured over the last 24 hours"... I know I didn't log on in between those two times because I had left town Friday... and didn't use the computer for a long long time...and yeah. :confused: I knew that there were new posts... but for some reason, it was telling me there weren't.

:p

Libra6Poe said:
Well... that's what it used to do for me... but I checked into TBF Friday afternoon... and didn't do so until Saturday evening... and it told me that thing that goes something like, "no new posts you may click here to review posts that occured over the last 24 hours"... I know I didn't log on in between those two times because I had left town Friday... and didn't use the computer for a long long time...and yeah. :confused: I knew that there were new posts... but for some reason, it was telling me there weren't.

:p
The site always clears itself for me each evening, so if I havn't logged in at all that day then it will still mark threads as read even if I havn't read them. Quite handy if I don't want to be continually reminded of posts I havn't read that are in threads that I'm not interested in. It probably did this to you too.

Back