• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Children's books that you hate/detest/despise

SFG75

My kids have a "tag" reader, which is a pen like device that you scan over the words and pictures to hear it read to you, or to have cool sounds from the scene come alive if you will. The reader came with a number of books, one of them being Walter the farting dog goes on a cruise. I can't tell you how much I despise this book. It will definitely be going to the trash bin once I remember where it is. I just can't stand it. I will say that it is interesting to have competing impulses of saying "no" to this book being read, and having a little one begging and pleading to read it with you!. Curses!:lol:

I loathe the Juney B. Jones books with a purple passion. The stories are cute and all that, but I can't stand the bad grammar. Ever try to read one of them aloud? My grammar is not always what it ought to be, but a book is supposed to model proper speech so the reader can learn how it is done. I'm not wildly fond of the Magic Treehouse books either. Sentence structure is lousy in the books I've seen.

The only book that comes to mind which I despise is The Amber Spyglass. I found myself bored by it despite my best efforts to read to the end. Yeah, it just wasn't going to happen. A pity because I liked the earlier books, although The Golden Compass much more so than The Subtle Knife.

I can't stand Dr Seuss or Robert Munsch. I couldn't tell you why, other than that their poetry makes me want to rip my ears off.

I still get a shudder when I think of Chicka-Chicka-Boom-Boom. I had to read that book to my son practically everynight for about a year. I loath that book.

I can't stand Dr Seuss or Robert Munsch. I couldn't tell you why, other than that their poetry makes me want to rip my ears off.

Hahaha. And I thought I was the only one who hated Dr. Seuss! For the life of me, I don't know why so many people love Dr. Seuss!!

Back