• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Classics that disappoint

Wabbit

( Look ma, i'm actually discussing BOOKS!!! ) :D

I was looking through my bookshelf today. I noticed Conrad's Heart of Darkness sitting there on my shelf. I must say, I was pretty disappointed with it. I find the classics to be very hit and miss afair. Hmmmm.

What classics have you read, only to be disappointed with?

Regards
SillyWabbit

Wuthering Heights. It was complete dross.

Lord of the Rings. Unreadable drivel filled with dreadful poems. (think it's old enough to count as a classic, nearly)

Anything by Dickens.

A Clockwork Orange. Not really a classic classic, but enough people know of it. I didn't like it, at the end I was thinking, 'what was the point in that?'

Litany said:

Lord of the Rings. Unreadable drivel filled with dreadful poems. (think it's old enough to count as a classic, nearly)

Anything by Dickens.

Agreed on Lord of the Rings and anything by Dickens. Dickens: Man that guy can RAMBLE on and on and on and on and on and get nowhere!!!

Regards
SillyWabbit

classic dross

I am with you on Heart of Darkness and Lord of the Rings. But it think that Nathaniel Hawthorne's House of the Seven Gables is the winner-- or is that the loser?

:eek: Did you just say that the Universally-Accepted Best Book Ever, The Lord of the Rings was not anything but wonderful!!

Run, run now, the Middle Earth Police are coming to strap you down in a chair and read that excrutiating Tom Bombadil section to you over and over again until your fingers bleed!! :D

On-topic: I havnt read all that many classics, but i cant say ive really disliked any of the ones ive read ..... except maybe Great Expectations, which wasnt all that fun :)

Phil

phil_t said:
Run, run now, the Middle Earth Police are coming to strap you down in a chair and read that excrutiating Tom Bombadil section to you over and over again until your fingers bleed!! :D

We don't need to start running yet. When they spot us they'll have to stop and sing a 27 page long song about it. That leaves me enough time to have my dinner, have a bath, pack, inform all my relatives that I might have to leave town for a few days, load my shotgun and sharpen my sporks.

I also hated The Last of The Mohicans. That counts as a classic doesn't it? Just couldn't get into it. So then I tried watching the film instead and I gave up on that too.

phil_t said:
:eek: Did you just say that the Universally-Accepted Best Book Ever, The Lord of the Rings was not anything but wonderful!!

On-topic: I havnt read all that many classics, but i cant say ive really disliked any of the ones ive read ..... except maybe Great Expectations, which wasnt all that fun :)

Phil

Yeah that, or read me some Elven "poetry" GARRRGFFF. Toklien needs a good kick in the teeth for what he has done! A million Tokien fans writting Elven poetry! AHHHHH! It's even worse when they write it IN Evlish :eek:

Regards
SillyWabbit

Litany said:
I also hated The Last of The Mohicans. That counts as a classic doesn't it? Just couldn't get into it. So then I tried watching the film instead and I gave up on that too.

You threw that in JUST to piss me off didn't you? :rolleyes: It's one of my favorite films and I ordered the book last week.

RaVeN

The Great Gatsby - just not into people being drunk all the freaking time.

The Awakening is quite possibly the worst. book. ever. Made me want to drown myself in the ocean.

I agree with you all on LOTR....just couldn't get into it at all...the poetry and songs are just a tad bit excessive.

VTChEwbecca said:
The Awakening is quite possibly the worst. book. ever. Made me want to drown myself in the ocean.

LOL - never read it, now I don't think I want to :D

Regards
SillyWabbit

I agree with Litany on The Last of the Mohicans. While reading it I almost expected that in a moment one of the bad guys would say something like: "I do apologise, sir, for killing you, but I feel that I am obliged to do it as we are not in a benevolent relationship".

Anything by Thomas Hardy, and especially Tess of the D'Urberville!

Excruciating!

Cheers, Martin :cool:

Litany said:

Anything by Dickens.
i agree with Wuthering Heights. i loved the story, but i really couldn't get into the book. Same with the Lord of the Rings, though i liked the films. i actually enjoy Dickens. The classic that i dislike the most is stoker's dracula. i have never been able to read more than 10 pages.

Probably "Universally adored classics that I personally hated". Are you saying that the only reason we dislike these books is because we have "misunderstood" them?

The Lord of the Rings - glad they made a movie because i couldn't get into the book.

The Scarlett Letter - this may be a classic to many people but not to me. it was a decent story, but nothing more.

anything Charles Dickens - i agree with whoever brought this up.

The Crucible - why do so many people love this story? why?!

Wuthering Heights - as mentioned in the other thread... just a chore to read.

Ethan Frome - excuse me while i take a nap... or am i just in a coma?

Litany, how could you not like Last of the Mohicans? that was such an awesome book. i might pick that up to reread it now that i think about it... then find a fat kid named Piggy to chuck the book at when i'm done, lol.

Buddy Knox said:
Litany, how could you not like Lord of the Mohicans? that was such an awesome book. i might pick that up to reread it now that i think about it... then find a fat kid named Piggy to chuck the book at when i'm done, lol.
Are you sure you don't mean Last of the Flies?

i am thinking lord of the flies... my mistake.

lol, wait... i didn't like last of the mohicans. i confused the two. n/m

Back