• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Classics that disappoint

Buddy Knox said:
lol, wait... i didn't like last of the mohicans. i confused the two. n/m

Well there we go. My point proven. Dreadful book. RaVeN wrong. Pirates great. Chocolate Hobnobs for dinner. Hurrah!

The Lord Of The Rings has an emotional depth like no other book. I've grown out of it now though and I've read it so many times that rereading it is pointless. the movies were a travesty. another fantasy book from that era which surpasses it is E.R. Eddison's The Worm Ouroboros. and it's written in archaic english.

Last of the Mohicans did, in fact, suck. It sucked a lot. I have been assigned it twice, and all I can say is, bless you Cliff, for your lovely notes.

I also hate, hate, hate Moby Dick.

NIck452, you have a SUCH CUTE avatar! :) heheheh

I liked Last of Mohicans, both book and movie!!!

cannot bear Sister Carrie and The great Gatesby. trouble enjoying anything from DHLawrence.

never finished Francis Bacon's stuff. :rolleyes:

Buddy Knox said:
Wuthering Heights - as mentioned in the other thread... just a chore to read.

AHHHH...a disappointment!? *clutches chest* :p

This is one of my favorites, but reading Joseph's thick accent is rather cumbersome.

*grabs hefty rock*

I read, and liked, 'em both!

Cheers, Martin
Grin.gif

Cin said:
AHHHH...a disappointment!? *clutches chest* :p

This is one of my favorites, but reading Joseph's thick accent is rather cumbersome.

Wuthering Heights is one of my favorites, as well.

I'd have to say that The Awakening is one of the most overrated books I have ever read. The entire book is an account of the despair of an upperclass housewife. The whole time I was reading it I was thinking, "why doesn't she just divorce her husband, escape such an oppressive society, and end the conflict?"

Squire Jons said:
I'd have to say that The Awakening is one of the most overrated books I have ever read. The entire book is an account of the despair of an upperclass housewife. The whole time I was reading it I was thinking, "why doesn't she just divorce her husband, escape such an oppressive society, and end the conflict?"

I hate The Awakening!! HATE IT. I agree that its overrated...in fact, I was hoping that I would die before the ending. What a terrible book. It rates as my least favorite book of all time.

Wabbit said:
Dickens: Man that guy can RAMBLE on and on and on and on and on and get nowhere!!!

I completely agree. I attempted to get through Bleak House and it was certainly... bleak. That said, I love Dickens's short stories, namely A Christmas Carol. I love the Muppet Christmas Carol, a take on that story. In any case I found Bleak House to be the most disappointing of the classics I've read.

Omigosh, so glad I found this thread all nice and bumped up. I just read Wuthering Heights like three days ago. In fact, I did so because of this board (though I hadn't seen this thread yet), and someone's comments on it in one of the threads.

What a big peice of convoluted crap it was!

I can read the back of a noxema jar or a pack of trojans and be at least slightly engaged. So it's not like I'm really hard to please.

But I seriously regret that I spent part of my life reading that book. I mean, I really crammed to get through it, and actually forced myself to read it instead of coming here. I kept naively believing it would get better.

Sadly, I was very wrong my friends.

The Heart is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers. I had to quit about halfway through because I was slipping into a coma from boredom.

The Adventure of Huckleberry Finn has been the only classic with which I've been disappointed.

I think that is because of its language.

i'm on board with the dickens group. yikes!!! i only enjoyed a christmas carol and one quote that my father sent me while i was in japan and other than that he is great for insomnia.

Wow, so many Dickens votes. I am not one of them. I think Dickens is great. Can't say I've come across a classic that I've been disappointed with. Yet. Haven't read em all ;).

Back