• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Clichés In Fiction, Yuk!

A phrase that is used so much that every time you hear it, it makes you dizzy. There should not be any room for it in fiction. In my eyes clichés in fiction just don't mix.

__

I am tired of stories about big evil government agencies. especially the CIA. it is not that these outfits never do wrong, but in books and movies lately they are always worse than the terrorists or whoever they are fighting against. And also anytime there is a character who is a woman or member of any minority group, they are automatically geniuses and saints. I know this is politically correct, but for anyone with experience in the real world it is nonsense. There are evil, stupid people of every race, sex and nationality. Just as there are good and smart ones.

I am tired of stories about big evil government agencies. especially the CIA. it is not that these outfits never do wrong, but in books and movies lately they are always worse than the terrorists or whoever they are fighting against. And also anytime there is a character who is a woman or member of any minority group, they are automatically geniuses and saints. I know this is politically correct, but for anyone with experience in the real world it is nonsense. There are evil, stupid people of every race, sex and nationality. Just as there are good and smart ones.

You forget that those women are usually awesomely hot.

And Aqua, what clichés are we talking about here? You could've at least come up with a few examples. You know, for discussions' sake. :)

Yes I forgot about that. The women are all centerfolds and the men are all male models. Have these crime story writers ever been in an actual police station? The guys are usually bulked up on donuts and the women are scarier than anyone else there, including the criminals.

Question for our esteemed poster from Miami: at what point does a trope become a cliché?

Back