• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Clive Barker: Books Of Blood

Disenthral

Searched didn't find anything on them so..

anyone read these?or have any feelings on them. I tried more then once to read some Stephen king and was BORED. And i haven't read Clive barker so i cant compare but i know Stephen king has said he likes him. But my friend said the books were amazing and scary... So just wondering if anyone had any thought on these books?

I've read some of them a long time ago. The only story I can remember is "The Body Politic" were people's hands have their own consciousness and they decide to over throw the world lol.

I have read these and highly recommend them.

Unfortunately, Clive Barker's dalliance with horror didn't extend much beyond these short stories and a few of short novels/novella ("Cabal", "Damnation Game" and "Hellbound Heart") before he focused on dark fantasy novels.

He is masterful and deserving of Stephen King's praise!

I've read these many moons ago, and remember liking them very much. What Barker does with them is to take many well known horror tropes - the Golem, the Vampire, Frankenstein's monster, the Doppelganger, etc. - and rework them.

A number of them have spawned films, with The Forbidden becoming Candyman, The Last Illusion becoming Lord Of Illusions, and films called The Book Of Blood and The Midnight Meat Train also released, or in production, they are certainly proving fertile enough stories to cross media platforms. The Body Politic, mentioned above, has also been filmed, appearing as one part of Quicksilver Highway, the other story in that being an adaptation of Stephen King's Chattery Teeth from his Nightmares And Dreamscapes collection. I have a hazy memory of seeing Rawhead Rex, too, when I was very young.

In fact, I've also seen The Books Of Blood done as a play, which Barker himself flew in to Glasgow to see. This was back in 1999 when The Essential Cliver Barker was doing the rounds. In the play two stories were adapted: The Body Politic, again, and Jacqueline Ess: Her Will And Testament - not exactly two stories you could imagine done on stage, but both were done very well. That night, on talking about Thomas Harris' Hannibal he joked that Harris had ripped off one of his stories from the collection (Pig Blood Blues) for his book.

When I discovered Barker, The Books Of Blood was a breath of fresh air to all the horror I'd been reading. Notable stories for me are, once more, The Body Politic, Sex Death And Starshine, Jacqueline Ess; Her Will And Testament. There's probably a lot more (Down, Satan!I remember being the shortest story at about five pages, where the rest are about thirty to forty pages.). There's also a story in the first volume that is more comedy than horror too, The Yattering And Jack, but no less enjoyable.

The Last Illusion becoming Lord Of Illusions,

When I was young I loved Lord Of Illusions..Don't know why..Think it had something to do with people having a Mandrill on a leash like it was a pet. I looked at the used book store, no luck guess ill have to try another place for these.

The Midnight Meat Train still comes to mind every time I have to take the tube at night. Gaaaah. Wonderfully gruesome stuff.

The Midnight Meat Train still comes to mind every time I have to take the tube at night. Gaaaah. Wonderfully gruesome stuff.
Indeed. Would you picture Vinnie Jones as Mahogany though?

midnight_meat_train_still.jpg

Yeah, I am getting bored with Stephen King too. I just recently picked up "The Great and Secret Show" & "Everville" by Clive Barker. Anyone read those?
I've read everything by Barker, with the exception of Weaveworld (tried twice - no luck), Mister B. Gone (I've probably grown out of him by this point), and his kiddy books. I've got two volumes of his plays on my shelves and a personalised copy of Galilee. But Sacrament is his best work, I think.

From what I remember of The Great And Secret Show and Everville, I'd say get to them. The first is probably the better of the two, and the second is the first full length outing for Harry D'Amour, previously seen in The Last Illusion and one day to be seen in The Scarlet Gospels, a sequel of sorts to The Hellbound Heart. I remember very little of both books though, other than some basic concepts, like Nuncio and Quiddity, although you'd have to read the books to know what they are.

It's been a long while since I read these short stories, but I liked them quite a bit. I think my favorite Barker story by far is Dread.

I finally started reading them, im in the second now. I bought that Vol. 1-3 book. But i cant find 4-6 and i really want to read the lord of illusions story that i think is in the 6th.

But i loved most of them so far. specially - Dread, Midnight Meat Train, Jacqueline Ess, pig blood blues. But some are just odd. In the hills, the cities, was really strange just all around bizarre heh.

Back