• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Coldplay

I truly believe that virtually everyone who likes Coldplay is unable to make an actual opinion on music.
This is not snobbish?

It seems as though if you say you don't like them, you are ostracised as obviously being incapable of rational thought.
Hello, pot, meet kettle.

I'm not jumping to Coldplay's defense, not at all; feel free to loathe them as much as you like - I'm jumping to my own defense, as I tend to think that my opinion isn't rendered invalid because I happen to like 'em. I didn't mock your opinion. Hell, I didn't mock anything. I just vehemently disagree with you attitude.

Cheers

Martin said:
This is not snobbish?

Hello, pot, meet kettle.

I'm not jumping to Coldplay's defense, not at all; feel free to loathe them as much as you like - I'm jumping to my own defense, as I tend to think that my opinion isn't rendered invalid because I happen to like 'em. I didn't mock your opinion. Hell, I didn't mock anything. I just vehemently disagree with you attitude.

Cheers
well said mate!

My attitude stems from the way people on this thread seem to genuinely think that if you don't like Coldplay, then you are somewhat strange in the head (see above at the comments directed towards Stewart when he said they were Radiohead wannabees). So I just took the piss a little.

This just lets me know that the clique-y nonsense on this forum is alive and well. If you're certain people, you're allowed to attack other forum users and call them all sorts of names, but that's okay. But if you're other people, then a bit of piss-taking leads to personal attacks.

Ah well!! That could be why I have so few posts to my name on this forum. I find the attitudes here breath-taking in how some things can be so disregarded.

Personal attacks? Really?

To be honest, I hadn't even read all of the comments directed at Stewart. All I did was chime in with my opinion of Coldplay, and before I know it, my opinion is rendered useless. I never attacked anyone. I never dismissed anyone's opinion.

It's the two Coldplay-haters (for lack of a better word) in this thread that are dismissing opinions on the basis of personal preference.

Besides, clique? I'm hardly ever here anymore!

Cheers

magemanda said:
My attitude stems from the way people on this thread seem to genuinely think that if you don't like Coldplay, then you are somewhat strange in the head (see above at the comments directed towards Stewart when he said they were Radiohead wannabees).

am i missing something? i reread this thread 3 times. the only people making comments about being strange in the head are you and stewart. everyone else either said they liked them and kenny agreed with stewart about them needing to grow a bit. my comment about harsh was directed at being called tasteless because i like them.

i have seen no personal attacks directed at stewart.

but perhaps i am just too much of a sheep to notice. :rolleyes: :D

Stewart said:
Not pop at all? What is pop? It's short for popular music. Coldplay's songs appear in charts which means they are popular (i.e. chavs like them).

Radiohead was also on charts, does that make them pop? does that makes them worthless? :confused:

radiohead are a class band,they have had no 1s in the pop chart the same as coldplay,but i wouldnt say either are pop bands would you? :)

Diotallevi said:
Radiohead was also on charts, does that make them pop? does that makes them worthless? :confused:

Thankyou for misreading the thread. There's no doubt in my mind that Radiohead are pop music (well, their pre-Kid A stuff anyway) but I didn't say anything against Radiohead's pop credentials. It was announced, by ruby I think, that Coldplay were not pop.

ruby said:
radiohead are a class band,they have had no 1s in the pop chart the same as coldplay,but i wouldnt say either are pop bands would you? :)
Just curious - what would you class them as?

They're pop, as is Radiohead, no doubt about it.

But there's a difference between 'pop' and 'bad'.

Cheers

I've heard XY, I personally didn't like it... maybe I have to hear it a lot more and let it grow on me. But for now, I'm sticking to Pink Floyd (today is not a good day :( )

magemanda said:
*grin* Well, that certainly stirred a reaction!
You made a sweeping, derogatory, generalisation on an internet message board, and in return copped some flak, which I suspect is exactly the reaction you wanted.

magemanda said:
To be perfectly honest, Coldplay just fade into the background for me. I like other styles of music, but am perfectly willing to give anything a try.
Well, if we're being honest...I think a lot of the criticism aimed at Coldplay is fair comment, and I’d agree with a fair amount of it too; in fact I’d go even further when he’s plinky-plonking at that bloody piano with the ‘fair trade’ logos all over it, grrrr. However, despite them being the opposite of every instinctive musical inclination within me, I find myself liking the first couple of albums. Go figure. (finding myself humming along to Keane yesterday, is also starting to worry me, I must be getting old).

magemanda said:
I just find it downright amusing that people become sheeplike when it comes to a band like Coldplay. It seems as though if you say you don't like them, you are ostracised as obviously being incapable of rational thought.
It depends on who you’re talking too. There are plenty of music snobs who’ll “ostracise you as obviously being incapable of rational thought” for liking them. It’s always been that way with bands that break into the mainstream, especially if they come from an ‘indie’ background. I know, I used to be that music nazi. Thankfully the days when I’d storm out of a party if someone played a U2 record are long gone.

magemanda said:
Looking at the way people have … been rather mocking of my particular view of the band, I'd say it is not me being snobbish on this occasion (bows to Martin....)
To paraphrase Martin, “we accuse in others what we fear in ourselves”.

Indie comes from the term independent, and Coldplay, being signed to a major label, are certainly not an indie band. I would just use the generic term of rock although the MOR label I saw earlier would definitely be on their travel case.

Well, the difference between Radiohead and Coldplay is that Radiohead are willing to take risks, whereas Coldplay's music pretty much all sounds the same. However, it works, so why not? It's true that eventually people might get tired of their sound, and then they'll probably start trying something new. And what is so wrong about borrowing style from other bands? Isn't that the only way for music to progress? See, as I said earlier, their stuff might not be the most original and biggest risk taker, but does that mean it's still not good music?

Diotallevi said:
I've heard XY, I personally didn't like it... maybe I have to hear it a lot more and let it grow on me. But for now, I'm sticking to Pink Floyd (today is not a good day :( )
X&Y is 1 of them albums the more you listen the more you will like!

ecks said:
Well, the difference between Radiohead and Coldplay is that Radiohead are willing to take risks, whereas Coldplay's music pretty much all sounds the same. However, it works, so why not? It's true that eventually people might get tired of their sound, and then they'll probably start trying something new. And what is so wrong about borrowing style from other bands? Isn't that the only way for music to progress? See, as I said earlier, their stuff might not be the most original and biggest risk taker, but does that mean it's still not good music?

I would say that's a pretty fair assessment…oh my God, we’ve found a voice of reason! “Don’t let it get away, somebody break its legs”*

*copyright The Simpsons

Back