• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Collectible/rare/first editions

Will

Reading an earlier thread about book collections in terms of scale, I was wondering how many amongst us here collect rare/first editions/signed/collectible books?

I tend to collect hardcover editions, but, besides current novels, I can rarely afford rare/first editions.

I tend to collect hardcover editions, but, besides current novels, I can rarely afford rare/first editions.

Me too.I love old books. If I had money I would browse estate sales,flea markets and buy all I can.

I also like it when the previous owners name and date is written inside.

Me too.I love old books. If I had money I would browse estate sales,flea markets and buy all I can.

I also like it when the previous owners name and date is written inside.

I much prefer old books, and there is nothing I love more than digging through a used bookstore, the scent of "old book" wafting over me.

I'd say my collection is half old books, half current publications. The old books aren't that collectible...I can't afford firsts, and I have a lot of "Book of the Month" editions from the 1940s, 50s and 60s as well as Modern Library editions. But I'm picky, and 99.9% still have their dust jackets. I love them even if they only cost a few bucks.

And I LOVE to find books with previous owners' inscriptions. One of my favorites is a copy of Blood and Sand by Vincente Blasco-Ibañez from 1922. Besides an inscription, the previous owner laid in newspaper clippings and photos of the Valentino film version.

I much prefer old books, and there is nothing I love more than digging through a used bookstore, the scent of "old book" wafting over me.

I'd say my collection is half old books, half current publications. The old books aren't that collectible...I can't afford firsts, and I have a lot of "Book of the Month" editions from the 1940s, 50s and 60s as well as Modern Library editions. But I'm picky, and 99.9% still have their dust jackets. I love them even if they only cost a few bucks.

And I LOVE to find books with previous owners' inscriptions. One of my favorites is a copy of Blood and Sand by Vincente Blasco-Ibañez from 1922. Besides an inscription, the previous owner laid in newspaper clippings and photos of the Valentino film version.

It's your book but just got excited!Not many people can understand the feeling can they?

It's your book but just got excited!Not many people can understand the feeling can they?

I feel bad sometimes because I know that I honestly love my books more than a lot of the people that I know (not ALL of the people but a LOT of the people).

For me, not a lot compares to finding an amazing old book.

I feel bad sometimes because I know that I honestly love my books more than a lot of the people that I know (not ALL of the people but a LOT of the people).

For me, not a lot compares to finding an amazing old book.

Last summer,a friend of a friend let me have all of her daughter in laws books which were thrown in a corner in her garage.Over 200 hundred.She told me I could go through them day by day....I took the CRV and took them all.:D:lol:

When in the same sentence there is "take" and "books" why go through them?:lol:

When in the same sentence there is "take" and "books" why go through them?:lol:

Why indeed! I would have tied them to the roof of my car if someone was giving them away. Whatever it takes...

I got my cats from a rescue center, and, when I find an old book, I have a similar feeling...I'm rescuing the book and it will get to live a pampered, happy life at my house. :lol:

Why indeed! I would have tied them to the roof of my car if someone was giving them away. Whatever it takes...

I got my cats from a rescue center, and, when I find an old book, I have a similar feeling...I'm rescuing the book and it will get to live a pampered, happy life at my house. :lol:

Yes!lol

I imagine the history behind a book and what the previous owners life was like and what they thought of the book.Crazy,lol

I imagine the history behind a book and what the previous owners life was like and what they thought of the book.Crazy,lol

I do that too! Most of my books and their previous owners have had much more interesting histories (in my mind) than I will ever experience.

At least I know I'm crazy, and happily, I don't care. :lol:

I scour the used book stores as well as the library book sales. Both places usually have estate books that have been donated by local "Celebrities" as well as people like me. Some of my favorite inscriptions are the ones that have what I call "Gift Notes" you know ones that read;

To my beloved on our 15th anniversary, may our love endure forever.

Or;

Happy Christmas 1943

you know, things like that. It makes me wonder what the person who owned it did when they recieved the book and where they are now.

I buy the occasional hardback of a favourite author, but generally try and wait for paperbacks to come out. Mostly because of the reading hardbacks whilst commuting thing gets annoying, but also I worry I will damage the books (anal I know). I would buy more first/signed editions as cash flow permitted - at the moment it doesn't however :-( I

Yikes!!!!

2 Christiaan Barnard one called Verstotelinge and one called Heart Attack and the other author is G.F. Malan and his book DIE BRULLENDE LEEU GETEM (the roaring lion tamed).

Back