• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Comedy books!!!

thepps01

Looking for some comedy books to read!!!!like funny love story....anyone has an idea..pls suggest me!! could you tell me the title of the book brief summary of the story pls???? Thank you very much!!!!!!!

I recommend The Best a Man Can Get - John O'Farrell. It is a lighthearted, observational type comedy about a man who gets a bit freaked out by fatherhood, responsibility etc and starts leading a double life that his wife knows nothing about. Few books make me laugh out loud but this was one of them!

For a giggle, some of Bill Bryson's travel writing is good stuff. I particularly enjoyed Notes From a Big Country, which was a series of bite-size essays on American life.

In fantasy fiction, you might like to try Terry Pratchett or Robert Aspirin.

Tom Holt is good if you like a largely surreal story. Robert Rankin if you like running gags. They both of them deal with misfit heros trying to avert a ludicrous disaster and succeeding largely through accident or act of God. The book I read last, Limbo by Andy Secombe, was quite daft, another end of world scenario this time based in Hove.

As you're looking for a love story, did you like Bridget Jones's Diary? There are lots of similar books if that suits you.

For comic essays, David Sedaris is incredibly funny.

he died with a felalfel in his hand by John Birmingham.

Was made into a film, not so good but the book is hilarious. If you've ever shared accomodation, read this.

A few of my favourites:

"The Blue Road" - Windy Baboulene
"M.A.S.H." - Richard Hooker. (the original novel)
"This Game of Ghosts" - Joe Simpson

Note that two of these are non-fiction and several more that didn't make this list are as well. Is it only me, or do other people find that its very rare that fiction is as funny as reality?

Kev

For non-fiction, I'd recommend How to Lose Friends and Alienate People by Toby Young. He's from the UK and got his big break of a job at Vanity Fair and managed quite spectacularly to piss off absolutely everyone he met. Without even trying, he managed to take every cultural difference there is between the UK and the US and use them to insult, offend and irritate his employers and the very few dates he managed to get. He really was trying to succeed and his utter failure was quite phenomenally impressive and very funny.

Sounds good!

A book on my to-read list that my wife would be sure to recommend (judging by the amount of laughing and near-choking that went on when she was reading it) is "Join Me" by Danny Wallace about a guy who accidently started a cult.

Kev

RaVeN said:
Excuse me. I'm sure you meant to say "flobble off", didn't you? :rolleyes:

Will you get over that already? What monkeys choose to do on their own forums is up to them. :p

anything by DAVID SEDARIS is hilarious, he is a wonderful man, all of his books are short story non fiction collections but i'm assuming he elaborates quite a bit...

thepps01 said:
Looking for some comedy books to read!!!!like funny love story....anyone has an idea..pls suggest me!! could you tell me the title of the book brief summary of the story pls???? Thank you very much!!!!!!!
Malcome in the Middle books could be comedy, but I don't think they are love ;)

The Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy is the funniest book I have read. It is about a guy who is abducted by aliens minutes before Earth is destroyed.

Back