• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Commentary: Time for Palin to put up or shut up

Interesting could be an understatement. After seeing her in some interviews, I am looking forward to this debate with a sort of morbid anticipation. That being said, our expectations of her are so low that it might not be too hard for her to come out of it OK.

Given that they've apparently changed the rules of the debate so that Palin won't have to butt heads directly with Biden but mostly just answer questions from the moderator, I think she'll do better than she might have done.
McCain advisers said they had been concerned that a loose format could leave Ms. Palin, a relatively inexperienced debater, at a disadvantage and largely on the defensive.
Forget being qualified to hold the position; her own advisers don't think she's qualified to debate for it.

Yep, it'll be... interesting. acosgan.de_images_smilie_nahrung_e025.gif

I was amazed at her convention speech. She was snide and sarcastic but she was also assured and forceful. But everything I've seen since then -- especially the Couric interview, which should have been easy -- makes me wonder if she's ever had an original thought.

She's had a couple weeks to get ready. The McCain people have probably rehearsed every possible question. If she fumbles the debate questions like she did Couric's questions, there'll be no coming back for her.

I wonder if Gwen Ifill will ask her about Troopergate, or about any of the other stories leaking out from Alaska. There are a lot of them, but most aren't making it to the mainstream media.

I was amazed at her convention speech. She was snide and sarcastic but she was also assured and forceful. But everything I've seen since then -- especially the Couric interview, which should have been easy -- makes me wonder if she's ever had an original thought.

I think that is what deceived many people right after the convention. She does give a good speech. The problems seem to arise when she is forced to deviate from that, such as being asked an unanticipated question. I find it difficult to believe she wasn't prepped about the bailout for that Couric interview though. Maybe she has a poor memory.

Just curious, what it the overall political leaning of this board? I know there is a lot of criticism of Palin, but one doesn't need to be a liberal to do that.

I don't understand why the Democrats keep caving in like this. So she isn't a good debater - why are the Democrats going along with this attempt to help her compensate for something she isn't good at? That isn't how it's going to work when she's Vice President or even President and sitting across the table from the President of Russia or China. "Oh, sorry, sir, but you aren't allowed to ask the President any awkward questions, because that's something she isn't very good at dealing with." :banghead6mx:

In CNN today they were talking about how experienced Palin is at debating, and that she should have no problems holding her own in the vice-presidentail debate.

So I'm getting a little confused here.

Also, I caught up a little with the Couric interview, and I'm impressed. I had never known how someone can say so much without really saying anything.

ds

It's word salad, isn't it? Gotta get all those talking points in there, even if they're not relevant to the question.

She may have done well in the Alaska debates because she knows about Alaska's issues, or maybe her competition wasn't that great. I've watched some snippets of those debates -- they were really more of a roundtable discussion -- and she's good at one-liners denigrating her opponents. That kind of stuff goes over better at the local level.

Just curious, what it the overall political leaning of this board? I know there is a lot of criticism of Palin, but one doesn't need to be a liberal to do that.
From what I've gathered here, I think most of us are Dems.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong:whistling:

This thread might not be representative. It's getting harder for Republicans to defend the Palin choice -- maybe that's why they haven't been heard from here.

From what I've gathered here, I think most of us are Dems.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong:whistling:

Well, for starters, a bunch of us aren't even Americans, which makes that distinction sort of pointless... :whistling:

I have put Dem and Rep in the same category,I am just waiting for the elections to be over and then the fun is going to start.
asmileys.on_my_web.com_repository_Food_pita_52.gif

Well, for starters, a bunch of us aren't even Americans, which makes that distinction sort of pointless... :whistling:

I fully recognize that, especially since this site is based out of the UK to begin with. But within the context of this thread I think the distinction makes since. I could have worded it better though.

I think of myself as an independent Republican. For this election I'd go a step further and say I'd love to see a viable third party choice.

Back