• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Commentary: Time for Palin to put up or shut up

I think of myself as an independent Republican. For this election I'd go a step further and say I'd love to see a viable third party choice.

Here, here abc. I can't tell you how long and how much I've bored family and friends on that one.

Yeah, the two party system is broke. I consider myself an independent. I am voting Democrat this time as I did last time. Prior to that I voted Republican. I consider myself a social liberal and fiscal conservative so in the past both parties had things about them that I liked and disliked. But under the leadership of the current administration Republicans have been anything but fiscally conservative. So now they have even less going for them.

Also, the next President could end up appointing as many as 3 justices. In the end I think that is one of the most influential things a President can do. Since the Supreme Court influences civil liberties more than the economy, the social liberal in me wants some liberal justices appointed.

And lastly, I think Obama will get us out of Iraq quicker than McCain will. Don't get me wrong, I still think Obama will take too long doing it, but it will be quicker than McCain. I am an active duty military officer myself and I have been to 5 military funerals of soldiers who have died over there. I'm just tired of putting young people into the ground. Sorry. And as many of our folks who are dieing, even more innocent Iraqis are dieing because they are getting caught in the middle of all of this.

Note that I am an officer and I am posting under my real name so I am not going to go into too much detail with regards to my thoughts on the current administration.

I've finally got around to watching the debate and, for me, I thought Palin was a bit rubbish as a debater. While Biden seemed good at putting out answers, statements, counterstatements, and stats in answer to questions put to him, Palin didn't seem to want to engage with any of the questions and, more often than not, tried to drag the debate off into zones it need not. No doubt this is what happens when you've got five weeks to cram while your opposite number has years of experience in office and has a better handle on what he's talking about. For Palin, it seemed like she'd been told to ignore the questions, use your 'hockey mom' schtick when in doubt as personality will win through in winning votes rather than actual policy, little of which she seemed capable of discussing.

For me, if there were to be a winner, Biden by a long margin. She can say darnit! and doggone! all she likes, she had little of substance to say.

I think direstraits was looking for that clip.

It is scary how Tina Fey can pull it off. Honestly, I don't think you could tell the difference if she showed up at the debate, as opposed to the real thing.:lol: Speaking of the devil, she stopped by Omaha yesterday on a campaign stop. Supposedly, it was done due to her husband's fond memory of hunting in Nebraska. It has nothing to do at all with the real possibility that our second congressional district might go to Obama according to polls.:whistling:

I think direstraits was looking for that clip.
Actually, direstraits was looking for the clip before this one, which was the Poehler as Couric interviewing Palin/Fey, but hey, this works too! :D

Thanks!

A couple of things:
1. Tina Fey is good, but all this talk of an 'uncanny' resemblance is a little stretched, isn't it? I mean, Fey does a good job, but I think the US commentators are making it sound like she's a freaking Palin clone, and I think that is just an exaggeration. Palin doesn't *sound* like that!
2. Katie Couric is not *that* fat, is she? Poehler is merciless. :)

ds

Back