• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Contemporary Non-Anglo Authors

Where do I start?

Juan Rulfo and Carlos Fuentes - Mexico
Miguel Angel Asturias - Guatemala
Cortazar and Borges - Argentina
Jorge Amado - Brazil
Carpentier and Cabrera Infante - Cuba
Peter Abrahams - South Africa (there is another author with the same name from somewhere else, so make sure you look at the right one)
Agualusa - Angola
The one I just mentioned in the books you're scared to talk about- Egypt
Andre Chedid - Lebanon/France
Desai Boman (and lots more that I can't remember. I read short stories but then I couldn't find more books by those authors in English)- India
Platonov - Rusia
Stefan Zweig - Austria
Alberto Moravia, Cesare Pavese and Dino Buzzati - Italy
Tabucchi - Portugal
There is a thread on France already.
I am sure I left lots out.

A Book of Luminous Things is a handy introduction to the international aspects of poetry, with an emphasis on Eastern Europe, China, Japan, and the Middle East. Western Europe and North America are also included, though Latin America and Africa are not, alas.

Argentinian authors, not really contemporaries but worth checking:

Manuel Mujica Lainez-El Escarabajo (the beetle)
Horacio Quiroga-Cuentos de amor, locura y muerte (talesof love, madness and death)
Marco Denevi-Rosaura a las diez (Rosaura at ten), un pequeño cafe (a small cafe),Ceremonia secreta (Secret ceremony)

Nina Berberova
Andrei Makine
Gabriel Garcia Marques
Laura Esquivel
Isabel Allende
Umberto Eco
Dino Buzatti
Italo Calvino
Alain de Botton
Martin Page
Marguerite Yourcenar
Marguerite Duras
Arturo Perez-Reverte
Amin Maalouf
Bernhard Schlink
Juan Marse
Luis Sepulveda
Michel Tournier
Kurt Vonnegut
Ismail Kadare
Alessandro Barrico
Dai Sijie
Ha Jin
Kazuo Ishiguro
Yasushi Inoue
And lots more but the list would get way too long
By the way,Wabbit you should also try Laura Esquivel's book, "As quick as desire" or at least that's what i think it translates to, and also Ell, if you'd like to try something else by Dai Sijie try Di's complex.Kookamoor, if you haven't already you might also want to try "The fencing master" and "The queen of the south" by Arturo Perez-Reverte, i liked them a lot.

Am I the only one who thinks that it's racist to classify authors by their ethnic origin? What if you rephrased this and asked for a list of contemporary Anglo authors? Wouldn't people be offended?

It would be different if the question was along the lines of asking for French writers, or Italian, or some particular nationality, assuming that the motivation was to learn more about those cultures. But Anglo specifically means white, it doesn't mean American (since Americans come in all colors!).

Curious.

Stewart said:
Although he was born in Japan he is technically considered Anglo since he has lived in the UK since he was four.
Actually, he moved to England when he was 6 and his parents gave him a japanese education in hope of their return to their home country. If you ever read his book,"AN ARTIST OF THE FLOATING WORLD" you will see that although he may have the influences of both worlds he could never really be considered "Anglo"... well at least that's my oppinion.

ja9 said:
Am I the only one who thinks that it's racist to classify authors by their ethnic origin? What if you rephrased this and asked for a list of contemporary Anglo authors? Wouldn't people be offended?

It would be different if the question was along the lines of asking for French writers, or Italian, or some particular nationality, assuming that the motivation was to learn more about those cultures. But Anglo specifically means white, it doesn't mean American (since Americans come in all colors!).

Curious.
I don't think anglo or non anglo reffers to being black or white, it reffers to authors that write in english in comparrison to authors that write in another language, thus being less accessible to an english speaking public.

Sabenankh said:
If you ever read his book,"AN ARTIST OF THE FLOATING WORLD" you will see that although he may have the influences of both worlds he could never really be considered "Anglo"... well at least that's my oppinion.

I've read it. ;)

He writes in English which, I believe, does not make him a subject for this thread.

The Dictionary.com definition of "Anglo" is:

"a white North American who is not of Hispanic or French descent"

The Anglo-Saxons were originally a collection of differing Germanic tribes from Angeln—a peninsula in the southern part of Schleswig, protruding into the Baltic Sea, and what is now Lower Saxony, in the north-west coast of Germany—who achieved dominance in southern Britain from the mid-5th century. They eventually coalesced completely around the 9th century into a single people, the Anglo-Saxons, forming the basis for the modern day English country, people, language and culture.

Wikipedia.

The definition of an Anglo is irrelevant here. The fact of the matter is that noone is being subject to derogatory comments, nor is anyone being looked down upon as different or sub-standard because of their skin colour. We are merely compiling a list of non-Anglo authors. Full stop. How is that in any way racist? Last time I checked it wasn't sexist to call a female a female, so how is it not o.k to call a Japanese person Japanese?

If you follow the link in the OP it will take you to the origin of the question being asked, which is in regard to books written in other languages than English. Using the phrase 'Non-Anglo authors’ is at worst a clumsy way of expressing that, but hardly racist.

I don't see the term Non-Anglo as racist either. Even if it is referring to non-white authors, I think it is just a means to help readers search for different types of authors and their work. I know for myself, being "white", I've lately felt like a sleeper just waking up, realizing all I've been reading for years are books by mostly white americans like myself. I mean, how did I get stuck in this rut? I certainly never intentionally reached for books in this category.There's a whole wide and diverse world out there! Suddenly I find myself wanting to read authors whose background is different from mine and I see there is much to choose from and I am glad. I guess whoever makes up the names for genres had to have some way to label non white Americans or Non-americans, or whatever..It would look really awkward if Borders had signs that read: Authors Different From YOU(and you know who you are)..so this is solution they came up with.

Back