• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Creative writing

Thelma

I was wondering, has any of you attended a creative writing course? And if yes, how was it, how did it help you, what do you think about such courses in general?

I’ve recently read that some of the writers that I like attended or even taught creative writing courses and this made me think of some questions. I had the opportunity to attend one when I was in college, but I didn’t eventually because I had to choose another one .

Anyway, does good writing need recipies? Does it need techniques, teaching? Or is it all about talent? Of course you can’t write well without talent, but should it be doubled by technique?

So what do you think?:)

A good option if you're out of school is to form or join a writing workshop, a formal group with set members and set rules (like constructive criticism only, and length of pieces read) to which you can bring your writing and get feedback and do the same for others. This is great at a certain early stage of writing because if forces you to keep producing (so you always have something to bring), gets you over the hump of receiving criticism and reading your work, and also gives you the feedback, which you can take or leave. In general, if you have a decent group of people who are fairly literate, it's a good experience.

Before enrolling in a creative writing "class" (as opposed to workshop) I would want to know the format and what the teacher/prof's approach is. If it's just a lecture from a text on how to write, I wouldn't bother. Just go get the book and read it. But if the teacher is a writer who wants to really work on students' writing with them, it could be productive and give you some insight.

In a moment of boredom I signed up to a Creative Writing course, starting next month.
The thing is I haven't written or even attempted to write anything creative for a good many months. Could anyone suggest any exercises or tasks to do?

Anyone who has done a course before, want to enlighten me on what I can expect?

Gem said:
Anyone who has done a course before, want to enlighten me on what I can expect?

The one I did for 05/06 was twenty weeks long. There was a basic structure to it in that one week we would focus on character, another on description. We also had to write pieces with a specified length and then read them out to the class in order to workshop them. The feedback I received was helpful at times and I actually lengthened one of the pieces I wrote and entered it into the Scotsman & Orange Short Story Award 2006, the winners of which are announced next month. There was a bunch of exercises, some fun, some word association, and there was also reading of others' work with discussion - the class introduced me to Roddy Doyle, Colette Paul (I think the lecturer and her may have been friends ;) ), and Margaret Atwood, although I wasn't fond of the passage from The Robber Bride.

I'll be doing another class after the summer, which will be more of an intensive workshopping class, in order to pressurise myself into actually writing more.

Thanks Stewart,

That really does help. The course I'm doing has a similar setup although it's not the least bit intensive. I spoke to the tutor on the phone and she told me it was a 'relaxed workshop, with a non judgemental atmosphere'. I just hope that doesn't mean we're going to sit around in a circle, hold hands and tell each other how great everyone is.:D

The feedback I received was helpful at times and I actually lengthened one of the pieces I wrote and entered it into the Scotsman & Orange Short Story Award 2006, the winners of which are announced next month.

Good Luck. Come to think of it, I don't think i've ever read any of your creative writing, do you have some posted here? Would you consider posting the short story you entered into the competition?

in order to pressurise myself into actually writing more.

That sounds familiar. I don't why it's so hard to make myself sit and write what's already finished in my mind. If someone tells me to do it then it's a different story - I should perhaps hire a dominatrix I think.:rolleyes:

Gem said:
want to enlighten me on what I can expect?

95% of people who take a writing course, spend more on writing courses than they ever earn writing. 100% of the people who take writing courses believe that they are in the 5% who are going to earn some money. (Source: the percentages sound right to me.)

ooh, giddy realism. How inappropriate. ;)

I don't think i've ever read any of your creative writing, do you have some posted here? Would you consider posting the short story you entered into the competition?
There's some crap in the Showcase from years ago. I'm not posting the story while the comp is underway.

Doug Johnson,
95% of people who take a writing course, spend more on writing courses than they ever earn writing. 100% of the people who take writing courses believe that they are in the 5% who are going to earn some money. (Source: the percentages sound right to me.)

Very reliable Source :D , although you'd better make that 99.999999%, because I don't believe I'm ever going to make any money from writing, and I don't intend to try either. Stories fascinate me, and if i don't spill them out from my head I shall end up in the cell next to Vespertilio91 at the Happy House. Plus I have a promise to keep.

EDIT:

There's some crap in the Showcase from years ago. I'm not posting the story while the comp is underway

Modest? You? :D
I should have clarified, I meant obviously after the competition.

Gem said:
You'd better make that 99.999999%, because I don't believe I'm ever going to make any money from writing

Don't be surprised if the person who sits beside you is "The next Dan Brown, except a much better writer, with a much more important subject. And believe it or not, it's all based on a true incident."

Doug Johnson,
Don't be surprised if the person who sits beside you is "The next Dan Brown, except a much better writer, with a much more important subject. And believe it or not, it's all based on a true incident."

:D I'll get whoever is sitting next to me to promise to dedicate the next Big Thing to me - just in case - you never know it may even be Dan Brown himself. Although come to think of it, it is a creative writing class, and he's pretty 'Creative' already. :rolleyes:

Gem said:
you never know it may even be Dan Brown himself. Although come to think of it, it is a creative writing class,

Dan Brown. Creative writing class. Just what the doctor ordered.

Good luck on the short story, Stewart.

Gem, I participated in a short story boot camp in January, put on by Borderlands Press. You can read about my experience < here >.

I highly recommend such camps, classes, etc., if not only to get you in touch with other writers out there.

Gem said:
I'll get whoever is sitting next to me to promise to dedicate the next Big Thing to me - just in case -

The guy sitting beside me was a Buddhist. We had a long conversation about whether a Buddhist should write for publication, or just write. It was fun; you do meet some interesting people.

It has been suggested to me that I take a creative writing course since I'm an English major and all, but I never bothered. I haven't written anything remotely creative since high school. While a class on writing could push me into writing more often, I hate the idea of other people looking at my "work". They may like it, but then again they may not. It doesn't help that I'm not that great at receiving criticism.

So to answer your question... no :D. Doubt I ever will take one later on in life.

Gem said:
Stories fascinate me, and if i don't spill them out from my head I shall end up in the cell next to Vespertilio91 at the Happy House.
Thanks for the wonderful promotion. I look forward to seeing you there, then. And it's the Happy Place, not the Happy House, as you so wrongly stated.

I do, however, want to take a course in creative writing. They sound like fun to me. Maybe I can get some friends to come with me...

Sirmyk.
highly recommend such camps, classes, etc., if not only to get you in touch with other writers out there.
Sirmyk,
Sounds like you had an amazing experince at the bootcamp. Yes part of the reason i'm doing the course is to meet people who enjoy writing, as none of my friends or family do.

Doug Johnson,
The guy sitting beside me was a Buddhist. We had a long conversation about whether a Buddhist should write for publication, or just write. It was fun; you do meet some interesting people.
:D So tell us then...should a Buddhist write for publication or just write?

Anamnesis
I'm not that great at receiving criticism
Anyone have a mother-in-law they wanna send over to Anamnesis?:D
Ana you'll toughen up in no time:D

Vespertilio91,
Thanks for the wonderful promotion. I look forward to seeing you there, then. And it's the Happy Place, not the Happy House, as you so wrongly stated.
I do, however, want to take a course in creative writing. They sound like fun to me. Maybe I can get some friends to come with me...
I apologise for mucking up the promotion, it is of course the Happy Place and not the Happy House.

Vesper & Anamnesis & anyone else interested,
If you want, when I start the course I can pm you the assignments each week so you can do them at home without having to face anyones criticism (Ana) or you could post them here for all to see (Vesper - you shameless hussy.:D ). I start in the middle of July, so let me know before then.

Since English is my major, and I am working on a concentration in Creative Writing, I took a Creative Writing course last semester (Spring 2006) and it really helped me. I have not written anything since last semester but I am starting to work on a few stories. I would definitely suggest getting into some Creative Writing courses or any seminars that are offered. It may really help you.

Rain said:
Since English is my major, and I am working on a concentration in Creative Writing, I took a Creative Writing course last semester (Spring 2006) and it really helped me. I have not written anything since last semester but I am starting to work on a few stories. I would definitely suggest getting into some Creative Writing courses or any seminars that are offered. It may really help you.

Glad to hear of your positive experience Rain. I was a social sciences major myself and was quite jealous of the creative writing seminar that the english department put on in the summer. While I don't have a creative bone in my body, I would've given anything to hear the lectures and sharing of works that went on.

Back