• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Critique My Web Page - It all I've got for you right now

I think the site's OK, but it could definitely be improved. I like the colour scheme and the layout (though it doesn't seem to be very motorcycle related), but as it is, the website has too much of a "personal webpage" feel (the kind where you show off all the things you can do with HTML instead of focusing on content) to be taken too seriously, and I should think that's what you're after, right?

For example, your choice of font is not very consistent. I personally would throw out the Comic Sans MS, the Arial and the Times New Roman and use the Verdana for everything (save the header and the menu). I'd also stick to one colour and not use the yellow, pink and teal. (your background is colourful enough and those specific colours are too offputting.) Don't underline text (unless they're links; you can use italics for emphasis instead). Stick to one size also, preferable a smaller one than the one you're using now. Headers can be bigger, but your text should be pretty standard. Don't bold too much (e.g. Michelle's review).

I realise that the lack of content the website is currently showing might be the reason why you use so many pictures and such big fonts, but I think it does you more harm than anything. Write more about the book, expand your biography, whatever... just get some more content on there.

Why are "Interactive" and "Motokid stuff" two different pages? Surely the jigsaw is a Motokid thing too?

I'd also throw out the bottom menu, as it's just a replica of the sidebar menu. You could put your about link there or throw in a copyright notice (or your "updated" line from the index page), maybe, but I don't see the point in having a certain menu twice. I would personally also get rid of the hit counter. It's different on every page anyway and it looks a bit childish, if you ask me. Another thing I'd get rid of is the Happy Happy Bear Land thing. It's a pretty bad picture to begin with (I'm sure you're a great painter, but paint (if that's what is is), isn't your medium ;)), but after you resized it it got even worse. Also, I just don't like the idea. (too patronising)

I also don't see the merit in the pictures on the "Book reviews" page. It's a page for reviews, not images. If you want to add images to the reviews, fine, but don't put the images in a seperate box.

Finally, like the others said, the fact that you have to scroll to see the entire page is a bit annoying.

lies said:
I'd also throw out the bottom menu, as it's just a replica of the sidebar menu.

It's a site map. It lets search engines into the site as the other menu is not accessible for search engines due to the script used.

Then he might want to include a site map in the other menu or make another menu, because I stand by my earlier statement. ;)

Thank you, Thank you, and Thank you.

All things will be considered. I always consider the Catch-22 of whether to put the page emphasis on appealing to younger kids, or the parents of the younger kids. I don't want it to be too "business" like. I was hoping to try to bridge the two as best I could. Young, fun and not too serious, yet not so overboard 'kiddie" that the sportbike father, or any adult in general would be turned off at the childishness of the page.

As soon as I have more time I'll be looking into the width issue. Honestly, until it was brought up in this forum (yesterday) I have not heard of this problem from anybody I've asked for critiques from. Very valuable information that will be addressed.

Motokid said:
All things will be considered. I always consider the Catch-22 of whether to put the page emphasis on appealing to younger kids, or the parents of the younger kids. I don't want it to be too "business" like. I was hoping to try to bridge the two as best I could. Young, fun and not too serious, yet not so overboard 'kiddie" that the sportbike father, or any adult in general would be turned off at the childishness of the page.
It'll probably be parents looking at the website and not the children themselves, but you're absolutely right. That's also why I think Stewart's idea might be just the thing you're looking for (i.e. use the motorcycle theme throughout the entire website), if you have enough graphical skills to pull it off.

I'm no great webpage expert, but here goes. I agree with most of what's been said above: Lose the Comic Sans MS, take away the underlining except for actual links, take care of the width issue, move the menu bar to the left and try to downsize things so there's not so much scrolling up and down.

I see your point of making it kid-friendly, but think you could pull it off without it looking too childish. Perhaps downsize the bookcover and make it clickable to access the excerpts.

I like the personal photos in the Author section but would like to know more about you and how you came to write this book. Something like your intro to the Book Forum would be good. If I remember correctly, you said something about there not being similar books out there for boys and girls who might not be interested in cuddly animals.

ok...made font changes...some alignment changes....removed underlines on everything except links....

The page width issue will take some more work that I don't have the patience for at this very moment. I'll be sure to get to it shortly though.

I am using a web page design program and a template, so moving the menu bar from the right side of the screen to the left may take some work to do also. I'll think about that...

Thanks to all so far, and I'll expect a few responces based on the changes I made if you viewed it earlier.

again, I say thank you....

Hiya Moto. I'm not web page genius either, but I'll give you my thoughts.

Firstly I think you need to have one page with all your products on it called Motokid Merchandise, or just Merchandise - this would have a link to the T-shirt and the jigsaw puzzle.

Secondly, I do agree that you need to move the links bar across to the left hand side. It's just a personal preference, but if someone is using a smaller screen width they may not see the menu bar at all.

Thirdly, on your ordering page I would perhaps suggest removing the 'call the author directly' option. It seems amateurish, because most authors would never put their home phone number on their website. If there is a toll free number and an online order form this should be sufficient.

Finally, if you are thinking of giving the website a complete overhaul you could consider making your background more book-related. This could be done quite easily by incorporating the motorcycle graphic into the page, perhaps even on one of the frames. I like the geometric design, but if you incorporate some illustrations into the page (perhaps even some illustrations that were done but not included in the book) it might meet your children/adult audience that you're after. The pictures would appeal to the kids while the adults would appreciate a more book-specific, professional approach.

Motokid said:
Thanks to all so far, and I'll expect a few responces based on the changes I made if you viewed it earlier.
Maybe it's just me, but I don't see any differences?

If I were wanting to sell your book then the link below is the sort of idea I'd go for. I've taken the concept of the way the book looks and made something that fits all browsers. All I've done is taken two of the pictures from your site and made a site (well, home page) that looks like the story book it is trying to sell.

The idea was to speak directly to the parents and use short passages to allow skim reading while making it cutesy enough to appeal to kids, making it seem as if the story is literally coming out of the page.

Motokid - The Little Motorcycle

Obviously, it's just a quick put together, as you can see by the bad photoshopping around the pictures. :D

Lies, is that a compliment?

I'd like to see more cartoons, or motorcycle cartoons for kids. and make something for the background.

on second thought, more cartoons could make the webpage less clean. ah... don't know.

That statement meant that I totally agree with Stewart's vision.

Crystal said:
I'd like to see more cartoons, or motorcycle cartoons for kids. and make something for the background.
IMO, backgrounds are never a good idea.

I took another look and had a couple more thoughts.

I've got to say, I kind of liked that the menu was on the right hand side of the screen. This was why it bothered me that the page was too wide.

I agree with Kookamoor about taking your home phone number off your page. I guess I didn't even notice it before. Not only is it unprofessional, but you're opening yourself up to a doozy. I work at night, and I'm often really bored. I have your phone number now, so maybe I'll call you all night. See what I mean? Luckily I doubt anyone here would do that, but you never know about other people out there.

You also might want to think about removing your home address from your domain name and getting a PO Box. It's way to easy to get that information online. See the discussion of domain names going on right now. Your other option is to remove the picture of your kid. She's a cute kid and I'm sure you can see where I'm going with this one.

lies said:
IMO, backgrounds are never a good idea.

hehe. yes. yes. backgrounds wouldn't seem to be neat at all. That is why I think your website/blogsite is a coolest one. :p

Oh, by the way, Motorkid, I don't like the blue backgrounds at your website--my personal opinion. it is just too mature, which make the site old.

Its improving but a few things i'd like to point out:
- Its unlikely that the child that will read the book is visiting your site. When you make your site, keep in mind that its adults that will read it.
- The frames and squares gives a untidy appearance. Simpler is usually better. The frames are not so bad on the pages where you only have one, but on the front page you have 3 frames. Consider something simpler to divide the sections.
- Too many fontsizes and font colors. Stick to something simple.
- As others have said, get rid of the hit counter.
- Use several different webbrowsers to view your page. The formatting of your left menu is not perfect in all browsers.
- If you have problems with fitting the template the way you want, there is nothing on your site you cant do with simple HTML code.
- The blue and yellow look a bit cheesy. Perhaps a more "motorcyclish" style would be better.
- "click here ---> Buy It Now!! <--- click here" Looks a bit desperate.
- Your pictures are often a bit small considering the width of the pages. I think its better to put two pictures beside each other instead of having all that open space. It reduces the amount of scrolling too, and thats always a good thing. Make the pictures a part of the text.

What program are you using to make your website?

Back