• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Current Non-Fiction reads

I'm currently reading Panic in Level 4 by Richard Preston, and Bonk by Mary Roach. The first one I've only gotten through the introduction of, and it's already quite captivating. Despite the mediocre rating given to this book and the comments left on Amazon, I'm quite interested in the topics that are to be discussed in this book. Self-cannabalism, Ebola virus, parasites found in the redwoods, just to name a few. I'm actually almost finished reading the second book. It full of humor and is related to the science of sex. I've enjoying both so far.

I have finally finished ZELDA by Nancy Mitford ... the sad biography of Zelda Fitzgerald ... F, SCott's wife. This is one of the best biographies I have ever read and I know it will stay with me for a long time. I recommend it to anyone who likes to learn about writers and the sometimes crazy lives they lead.

I have finally finished ZELDA by Nancy Mitford ... the sad biography of Zelda Fitzgerald ... F, SCott's wife. This is one of the best biographies I have ever read and I know it will stay with me for a long time. I recommend it to anyone who likes to learn about writers and the sometimes crazy lives they lead.

Wow--I had no clue that Nancy Mitford wrote a book on Zelda Fitzgerald. Mitford is one of my favorite authors. I have her book on Edna St Vincent Millay, Savage Beauty, but haven't gotten to it yet.

Wow--I had no clue that Nancy Mitford wrote a book on Zelda Fitzgerald. Mitford is one of my favorite authors.

WELLS83
Yes Mitford is/was a terrific biographer ... ZELDA is a very old book I read it in P/B in the late 70s or early 80s ... so if your library doesn't have a copy it may be out of print. If so I suggest you go to HALF.COM; ALIBRIS.COM; or POWELL'S. I do most of my business at HALF.COM often getting books for.75
I hope you find a copy and post your response to it.

WELLS83
Yes Mitford is/was a terrific biographer ... ZELDA is a very old book I read it in P/B in the late 70s or early 80s ... so if your library doesn't have a copy it may be out of print. If so I suggest you go to HALF.COM; ALIBRIS.COM; or POWELL'S. I do most of my business at HALF.COM often getting books for.75
I hope you find a copy and post your response to it.

I ordered it used on Amazon. :)

I'm reading one of the books written by former FBI profiler John Douglas. Any One You Want Me To Be: A True Story of Sex and Death on the Internet this time. I'm rather liking it so far.

Into the Darklands and Beyond: Unveiling the predators among us by Nigel Latta.

A book about the psychology behind sexual and violent crime, written by a forensic psychologist and drawing on all the cases he's dealt with over the years (including some pretty high-profile ones here in New Zealand). A really fascinating read.

Last non-fiction read was Freakonomics. Meh. Next is either going to be Fast Food Nation or a history book called For Honour's Sake about the War of 1812. Apparently the Canadians did not win as definitively as we thought we did and the Americans have it wrong because they have most of history wrong. ;)

I LOVED Fast Food Nation, especially when it suggests that the "freshly cooked burger" smell that comes out of these fast food places, may well come from a Laboratory!

I have been engaged for many days with The Age of Extremes by Eric Habsbawm. This is big picture history, covering the "short" 20th century from 1914 (World War I) to the breakup of the Soviet Union.

Oh yeah, and I recently finished up Chuck Palahniuk's Stranger than Fiction. It was much better than I expected.

I think next on the list is An Army at Dawn by Rick Atkinson.

Back