• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Current Non-Fiction reads

One page into "Is Science Compatible with Free Will? Exploring Free Will and Consciousness in the Light of Quantum Physics and Neuroscience" Antoine Suarez and Peter Adams (Eds) I have come to the conclusion that scientists manage to sound like complete and utter idiots the most successfully when attempting to address such metaphysical questions as the concept of 'free will'.

Yup several minutes and several pages later I'm convinced of my assertion. If ya can't even frame the question right how are you ever going to answer it?

I have been thinking about the few pages of the book I managed to wade through yesterday on and off and it suddenly struck me what was an appropriate quote for the book ...

"if you can't weigh it, measure it, smoke it ...."

Just finished Sh*t my dad says. A great read on the advice that a father gives a son. Arguably the funniest book I've read in a long time.

I can't stand it; Mr. Abc is engrossed in Bill Reilly's Killing Lincoln..so I need to dive into some historical non-fiction too. Fortunately for me, I have The Worst Hard Time waiting in my pile..

I picked up Team of Rivals after recently watching LINCOLN. Its size is daunting :/

I need to read that book, supposedly it is what lead Obama to appoint republicans to his cabinet. Doris Kearns Goodwin could right about paint drying and it would re-set the genre.

The Fossils of the Burgess Shale - Derek Briggs , Douglas H. Erwin, Frederick J. Collier .
The 11,000ers of the Canadian Rockies - Bill Corbett .
Un voyageur Naturaliste : Alcide d'Orbigny - Du Nouveau Monde...au passé du monde - Philippe Taquet & autres...
aimages.mec.ca_fluid_customers_c822_5020_173_generated_5020_173_NOC02_view1_390x390.jpg
Collectif-Alcide-D-Orbigny-Du-Nouveau-Monde-Au-Passe-Du-Monde-Un-Voyageur-Naturaliste-Livre-896812017_ML.jpg

Recently finished:
1. Dark Market, Glenn Misha. Terribly disappointing, misleading cover summary, just generally a let down.

2. Moonwalking with Einstein, Joshua Foer. Wonderful book, great story, proof that I'm not alone in having difficulty in retaining most of what I read. Presented memory techniques that actually worked and helped. :) Inspired me to take more holidays!

3. Don't tell Mum I work on the Rigs: She thinks I'm a Piano Player in A Whorehouse, Paul Carter. One of those books where the cover blurbs and summary sells the entire book. Greatest hits of an oil rig man, funny anecdotes. A little disappointed that there weren't more explanations of what it is about oil gigs that make them extremely dangerous (some of it, yes), but an ok book.

4. Night, Elie Weisel. Read it. Then ponder.

I want this book.
The Burgess shale's book took two whole months to arrive at its destination. In fact, I didn't have any tracking number for checking out its route from New York till my postbox...Yes, it was quite a challenge for my impatience... I guess, if you buy it from Germany it may arrive, at the least, in 3 months :D and from Sweden in 7 months ...:rofl Good Luck !!

Le Secret des Découvertes - Christiane Desroches Noblecourt .
CHIMIE ET PATRIMOINE [ Radiochemical processes for the safeguard of Cultural Heritage ] - Adaptation à la desinfection de la momie de Ramses II du procédé de radio-sterilisation gamma - Christian de Tassigny, Louis de Nadaillac, M. Brouqui. Régis Ramière....

Last edited:
The Burgess shale's book took two whole months to arrive at its destination. In fact, I didn't have any tracking number for checking out its route from New York till my postbox...Yes, it was quite a challenge for my impatience... I guess, if you buy it from Germany it may arrive, at the least, in 3 months :D and from Sweden in 7 months ...:rofl Good Luck !!

I'll have it shipped to the US. :p

I've just started The Personal MBA. Very interesting. It's adding shitload of books to my TBR.

I love business related material, I'll have to check that out. For some strange, strange, strange reason, I am devouring everything about six sigma.

six sigma?

Management philosophy of using data to eliminate small mistakes that add up to some big numbers. Sigma is the closest statistical number to perfection you can get. The "green belts" and "black belts" are business consultants who come in, diagnose your business, and then work to help you become more efficient. Jack Welch of GE pioneered the process and it has spawned an entire sector of consulting that is widely popular in some circles. What I in particular like about it, is that it isn't taking a business into "chop shop" mode whereby you sell off things to turn a profit, only to end up discarding it.

I'm about a third way through Personal MBA, and it's really a very condensed version of what you need to know related to business. It's really a jump point to understand the concepts, and pointing you to materials to allow you to go deeper. I like the things that it's pointing out to me related to marketing and sales, areas which I don't necessary go to in my own business reads normally.

Back