• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Currently Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.
abecedarian said:
I had to look Lyndon up on the map, and squint to see it..it's a tiny spot out in thr Flint Hills NE of Emporia, south of Tokeka...besides flashfloods, tornados and the occassional stray head of cattle, what could possibly have scared you out there??

Back to books- have you read any by James Alexander Thom? The Red Heart, Children of the First Man, and Follow the River are all excellent. He has some others,but I can't remember their titles at the moment. I'm still fighting jealousy over your screened porch...be sure to fix a nice glass of iced tea to go with that book and porch!
I have not read the books by Thom but have now put them on my newly created BTR list.

There is am old Iron Bridge, the type with a top to it, on the road in Lyndon. I was leaving town and came up to the bridge when I seen the sky suddenly become dark. A truck hauling boxes of bees (for the farmers to pollinate their fields) had the boxes stacked higher on the open bed truck than the top of the bridge, the boxes hit the bridge, were smashed and were strewn all over the road. I had my window down in the car, immediately put it up and wove my way thru the mess on the highway. Bees were so thick that you could hardly see.

muggle said:
I have not read the books by Thom but have now put them on my newly created BTR list.

There is am old Iron Bridge, the type with a top to it, on the road in Lyndon. I was leaving town and came up to the bridge when I seen the sky suddenly become dark. A truck hauling boxes of bees (for the farmers to pollinate their fields) had the boxes stacked higher on the open bed truck than the top of the bridge, the boxes hit the bridge, were smashed and were strewn all over the road. I had my window down in the car, immediately put it up and wove my way thru the mess on the highway. Bees were so thick that you could hardly see.

WOW! Are you sure you didn't wander into a Hitchcock movie set????
Bees are cute in picture books...not in real life! Good thing you weren't farther south, in Valley Center..they have Theorosa's Bridge..its supposed to be haunted..I've been out there once, at night...haunted or not, the area is creepy.

I'm back to reading Nabokov's Pale Fire for the third time. It reads easier and better each time, the poem especially.
Peder

I started Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer last night.
Publishers Weekly
Oskar Schell, hero of this brilliant follow-up to Foer's bestselling Everything Is Illuminated, is a nine-year-old amateur inventor, jewelry designer, astrophysicist, tambourine player and pacifist. Like the second-language narrator of Illuminated, Oskar turns his naïvely precocious vocabulary to the understanding of historical tragedy, as he searches New York for the lock that matches a mysterious key left by his father when he was killed in the September 11 attacks, a quest that intertwines with the story of his grandparents, whose lives were blighted by the firebombing of Dresden. Foer embellishes the narrative with evocative graphics, including photographs, colored highlights and passages of illegibly overwritten text, and takes his unique flair for the poetry of miscommunication to occasionally gimmicky lengths, like a two-page soliloquy written entirely in numerical code.

It's very entertaining so far .. I'm only about 20 pages in and already I've found myself laughing out loud at least half a dozen times.

MonkeyCatcher said:
I started Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer last night.

It's very entertaining so far .. I'm only about 20 pages in and already I've found myself laughing out loud at least half a dozen times.

Whoo-hoo! We'll have our very own little book club going. I'm only about one day ahead of you. :)

StillILearn said:
Whoo-hoo! We'll have our very own little book club going. I'm only about one day ahead of you. :)
Hehe :D Yeah, I saw that when I was looking at th ELAIC thread yesterday, so I bumped it up my list a bit ;) How is it so far?

MonkeyCatcher said:
Hehe :D Yeah, I saw that when I was looking at th ELAIC thread yesterday, so I bumped it up my list a bit ;) How is it so far?

Amazing. Simply amazing. I can't wait to get back to it tonight. I adore that kid. :)

cabrasopa said:
Just started reading 'The Crimson Petal and the White' by Michel Faber

I was in the bookstore reading the back of that and a woman with a stroller came up to me and warned me not to buy it. "Worst book I have ever read" she said. She continued by saying she was almost compelled to write Faber berating him for wasting her time. I was kinda dumbstruck by the interaction and her conviction so I didn't think to ask what it was about the book that she didn't like unfortunately. Plus my girlfriend standing beside me said "you just wanna read a book about whores." :eek:

ions said:
I was in the bookstore reading the back of that and a woman with a stroller came up to me and warned me not to buy it. "Worst book I have ever read" she said. She continued by saying she was almost compelled to write Faber berating him for wasting her time." :eek:
If it was the worst book she ever read, she must have some willpower to stick with it for 883 pages. Seems Ok to me so far, only 100 pages into it, although not much has happened Michel Fabers writing is excellent and his description of 1870's London and the people living there, Whores included is facinating, but everyones entitled to their own opinion.

MonkeyCatcher said:
Your little one paragraph review sucked me and it's on my TBR now!

Kookamoor said:
Your little one paragraph review sucked me and it's on my TBR now!
I'm glad to hear it! I'm only about 50 pages away from finishing it and I have really loved it. The little boy is such a darling. :)

Inside the Victorian Home: A Portrait of Domestic Life in Victorian England, by Judith Flanders. I'm half-way through and I love it. I'm finding it very interesting.

I did leave it at my friends house in PA so I'm stressing until she comes down this weekend to drop it off. AARGH!:eek:

I started The Drawing of the Three by Stephen King last night:

Amazon.co.uk
The second book in Stephen King's fantasy tale, "The Dark Tower". The gunslinger comes alone to the endless shore of the Western Sea to find, amid the mindless menace of the flesh-eating lobstrosities, the doorways between void and void through which he must draw The Three.

It's been a long time since I read The Gunslinger, so luckily for me the front couple of pages were recapping the story :)

MonkeyCatcher said:
I started The Drawing of the Three by Stephen King last night:

It's been a long time since I read The Gunslinger, so luckily for me the front couple of pages were recapping the story :)

I think you could get away with starting this series from Book 2 and make it through without missing a whole lot. I'd explain but there'd be spoilers then I'd have to use the spoiler tags and I'm too laz

cabrasopa said:
If it was the worst book she ever read, she must have some willpower to stick with it for 883 pages. Seems Ok to me so far, only 100 pages into it, although not much has happened Michel Fabers writing is excellent and his description of 1870's London and the people living there, Whores included is facinating, but everyones entitled to their own opinion.

Since this event occured this book has been calling out to be read. I was barely interested when I first picked it up but since she said how much she hated it I've really wanted to read it.

ions said:
I think you could get away with starting this series from Book 2 and make it through without missing a whole lot.
I have noticed that as I have been reading, as most of the references to previous happenings have been explained, with the exception of a few names which have been carried on from The Gunslinger.

So far I am liking this book a whole lot better than the first - it moves a lot quicker than the previous one did, and obviously I understand a lot more about what he is talking about.

Farley Mowat's Never Cry Wolf. IT was supposed to be my next read but when I finished my last book I really didn't feel like jumping into a King. Not sure I will feel like IT after Mowat's book either. There goes my October month of horror. :rolleyes: Never Cry Wolf so far as been very amusing and well written so far.

ions said:
Never Cry Wolf so far as been very amusing and well written so far.

I read that book quite some time ago, but I do remember it fondly (if vaguely.) What else did Mowat write? Do you know?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back