• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Currently Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.
recently finished Catheryyne M. Valente's Yume Me Hon: Book of Dreams, the newest release from one of the great new stylists in the genre. A Beautiful novel.

I also recently finished China Mieville's fantastic collection Looking for Jake - excellent work from perhaps my favorite current SFF author.

Currently I'm making my way through 3 other works, Sanity and the Lady, by the legendary Brian Aldiss, Mothers & Other Monsters, a collection by the thus far terrific Maureen F. McHugh and The Twisted Root of Jaarfindor by Sean Wright.

Regarding non-genre work I just got Shalimar the Clown by Salman Rushdie - and hope I get time to get into it soon.

Ainulindale said:
I also recently finished China Mieville's fantastic collection Looking for Jake - excellent work from perhaps my favorite current SFF author.

I see that, from looking at it on Amazon, the stories seem to be set in London. I may buy this to give it a shot; he may come across better in short form than verbose bricks.

Unfortunately, the only review had what I consider the kiss of death for any book - a 5 Star rating from Harriey Klausner.

Ainulindale said:
The Twisted Root of Jaarfindor by Sean Wright.

What possessed you to buy that shit?

What possessed you to buy that shit?

I don't buy any of my books anymore :)

Unfortunately, the only review had what I consider the kiss of death for any book - a 5 Star rating from Harriey Klausner.

That woull be irresposible since she give just about every book she reviews 5 stars - some good, some not.

Ainulindale said:
I haven't read enough to formulate a opinion.

I've given it to two friends to have a look at (one's a reader and one's not) and both have laughed their way through the first ten pages before handing it back to me and begging for mercy. :D

My personal favourite part was introducing a character named Islan into the story about the 20th page and using his name to refer to him througout until, about the 75th page, he introduces himself.

I just started The Aguero Sisters by Cristina Garcia. Looks like it might be a goody. I can hear a Cuban woman in my head as I read..

The Blind Watchmaker by Richard Dawkins. Different to anything I've read before but so far an interesting, if slow going, read.

I am finally reading Running with Scissors by Augusten Burroughs. I'm finding it kindof boring and difficult to get through. I had really high expectations, which I'm starting to think is pretty much a death knell for whatever I read.

Ainulindale said:

I've heard this was quite good (trying to remember where). I thought about giving it a look when I'm not too poor for books anymore.

mehastings said:
I am finally reading Running with Scissors by Augusten Burroughs. I'm finding it kindof boring and difficult to get through. I had really high expectations, which I'm starting to think is pretty much a death knell for whatever I read.

How disappointing, I was excited about this one, too. I have a hold on it at the library.

I started reading A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess today.

Amazon.comTold by the central character, Alex, this brilliant, hilarious, and disturbing novel creates an alarming futuristic vision of violence, high technology, and authoritarianism.Anthony Burgess' 1963 classic stands alongside Orwell's 1984 and Huxley's Brave New World as a classic of twentieth century post-industrial alienation, often shocking us into a thoughtful exploration of the meaning of free will and the conflict between good and evil. In this recording, the author's voice lends an intoxicating lyrical dimension to the language he has so masterfully crafted.

I had a bit of a struggle with the words at the beginning, but I'm getting the hang of it now. I didn't realise it was such a short book :eek:

I've got two books I'm reading right now. The first one is
Don't Eat This Book by Morgan Spurlock and the other is River Cross My Heart by Breena Clarke.

Don't Eat This Book is great, but scary! And funny..I'll never look at those little packets they put in new shoes in the same way again..hint: think Shoe Mints :D
I started River Cross My Heart in the middle of the night this morning. I woke up and couldn't get back to sleep, and I didn't want to try to make sense of the facts presented in Don't Eat This Book in the wee hours, so I started this other one. What a great book. I couldn't put it down-even as I was blowing my nose(tear jerkers often make me reach for the tissues). I finally just closed the book and went back to bed, but not before I'd read half of it! I can see why Oprah chose it for her book club.

MonkeyCatcher said:
I started reading A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess today.

I had a bit of a struggle with the words at the beginning, but I'm getting the hang of it now. I didn't realise it was such a short book :eek:

Pretty easy to find a Nadsat dictionary online if you get stuck on a word or two. Usually context makes it pretty plain what the word is though.

The Stranger and High Fidelity

oh man, i'm reading about seven books. at THIS moment im reading The Stranger by Albert Campus. i've also been reading High Fidelity the past couple of weeks or so

ions said:
Pretty easy to find a Nadsat dictionary online if you get stuck on a word or two. Usually context makes it pretty plain what the word is though.
Yeah, the copy I purchased had a dictionary in the back, but I wanted to figure it out for myself. Most words were easy because of the context, but others were a little more difficult - I mean you could get the gist of what they were saying, but not the precise meaning. Having many words for the same thing - such as all the words for 'man' or 'boy' - confused me a bit at the start, but the different language only added to the enjoyment of the book, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back