• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Currently Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.
consider phlebas is a good one. It's the first of the culture novels. I'm not sure if you would like that or not. I say, give feersom a try and if you like that! go for consider phlebas :)

Regards
SillyWabbit

Well I've finished 'More than Human' which was fairly deep with regards to messages it conveys, and expects you to put a lot into it in order to get something meaningful out of it due to a more abstract style of storytelling than I'm used to (not exactly light reading). That said, it was pretty good, withplenty of things to ponder. I've seen some of them before, but here it's packaged together well, with some beatifully written prose.

THE idiot lived in a black and gray world, punctuated by the white lightning of hunger and the flickering of fear.

Lone took the meanings and threw the words away

I have (once again) given up on The Silmarillion, :( :mad: and have started on Leif Davidsen: Dostojevskijs sidste rejse (Dostojevskijs last journey). Davidsen is a writer and former foreign corrospondent in Soviet Union. In this book, he he going back to Russia in 2000, 20 years after his first arrival there.

He writes about Soviet Union then, and Russia now - in an interesting and personal way.

It's quite good.

Hobitten

SillyWabbit said:
consider phlebas is a good one. It's the first of the culture novels. I'm not sure if you would like that or not. I say, give feersom a try and if you like that! go for consider phlebas :)
I know it's the first one, but it's not really the best one, I don't think. The Player of Games, or Against A Dark Background are the ones that stand out for me. I so want a lazy gun all of my very own. And Feersum Enjinn I don't think would have convinced me to read any of his other books. I know there's a lot of people absolutely love it, but I found it a bit pants to be honest. I'm not sure if it's a good book to start out on if you're new to the culturen. :)

When my bf started reading though my culture novels I don't think I started him on Phlebas, I think it was either Against A Dark Background or Excession.

I was going to start 'Against a Dark Background' before I realised I'm not really in a SF mood anymore.

Almost finished Thomas Harris' Red Dragon. So far it's been pretty good. The author manages to set a se7en-like tone without waffling. He does spend a bit too long trying to explain how the serial killer came about and getting into his mind, but apart from that, it read like a good cop thriller that surpasses a number of Grisham's works.

Oh and that twist halfway through- I don't think I'll forget that in a hurry. What 1st message could Hannibal possibly send his 'admirer' in his 1st correspondance covering only a sentence or 2? Bloody hell- the way that was written really racked the tension up, making it a positive page turner.

I agree with Fluffy Bunny, Red Dragon is quite the good read. Too bad (IMO) that Harris's last work Hannibal was such a stinker.

This week I finished The Tomb by F.Paul Wilson and Balefire by Ken Goddard. I'm now half way through the novel Cold by John Smolens.

RaVeN

I read Life of Pi, then The Da Vinci Code, which was a weird juxtaposition. But it gets weirder, because now I'm rereading Faulkner's Light in August. No wonder I'm so screwed up. But I really loved Pi. And Faulkner is Faulkner. But, The Da Vinci Code, even though it was a fast, pretty fun read was, in the end, the least satisfying of the three.

I stopped reading the book I said I was reading. It was SO DAMN CRAP! I only got 14 pages into it. OMG!!!!

Now I am reading The High Crusade By Poul Anderson. It's very short at 149 pages long. Very strange but it's good. An alien spaceship lands in medieval England. The English army takes it by surprise and they end up on an alien planet. Interesting adventure story. It's a very old book and they don't make em like this any more!!

Regards
SillyWabbit

Well Red Dragon had a lame ending IMHO.

Moving onto Phil Rickman's Wine of Angels. Not read anything of Rickman's work before, though he's touted as quite an impressive new horror/mystery writer.

Tears are the Wine of Angels... the best... to quench the devil's fires

Still reading inferno, it's so **** long! Anyone have a suggestion to get the thing finnished quicker, I feel like I'm rapidly sinking into hell, literally!

Also reading Feist and Vonnegut, maybe that's why I haven't finnished Inferno yet :rolleyes:

You mean Dante's Inferno, right? :) ( just checking )

If you DO mean that. I'm curious! How do you find it? I have always thought about reading it but felt a little daunted.

As for me: I am reading The Dream Archipelago by Christopher Priest. It's short stories linked by theme. The theme is that on this alternate world there is a war going on. There are thease islands that are neutral because they are part of a strange vortext that distorts space, time and reality. Both sides in the war use the airspace to travel quickly from one side of the globe to the other.

It's pretty good!!! :)

Regards
SillyWabbit

Don't worry about getting the Inferno done quickly, it's poetry and you have to savour it.

What exactly are you finding difficult? And The Inferno is rather short, perhaps you have the entire Divine Comedy in your book? At any rate the Inferno is incomplete alone.

Faran, you seem to be into the Classics somewhat .... have you read Milton's Paradise Lost?? If so, what do you think of it??

PHil

Tried to read it once. Difficult stuff, that!

And on the Divine Comedy, I'm following a course on it right now, at college. Quite cool, actually!

Oh, and by the way, I just recently finished Palahniuk's Survivor and am now 50 pages into Toby Litt's Finding Myself. This is, yet again, one I had to force myself to pick up from my shelf, but I'm liking it already!

Cheers, Martin :D

I suffered through 2 classes worth of assigned Milton, and I think Paradise Lost is wretched. His sonnets are good, though.

this week i am mostly reading....

Steppenwolfe by Herman Hesse, i've had this for ages, but when i started reading it, hesse's introduction said that he wrote it for 50yr olds so i thought i'd save it. Changed my mind.

am very jealous of all you who are reading catch 22 for the first time - what a book! I ruined a trip to sweden reading that book!

ksky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back