• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Currently Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.
dolz said:
i've just started Colours Insulting to Nature by Cintra Wilson my mum said it was brilliant and so apparently did Jack Black??!!

Wilson's been known for her articles where she's not afraid (why anyone _would_ be is beyond me) to heavily criticize, if not outright make fun of, celebrities.
So this gained her some sort of 'cult status'.
[Joe Queenan is wayyyyy funnier if one likes that sort of thing]

This is her first novel, which I haven't yet tried.
Post your comments once you have some.
j

jay said:
[Joe Queenan is wayyyyy funnier if one likes that sort of thing]

This is her first novel, which I haven't yet tried.
Post your comments once you have some.
j

Thanks I'll look into Joe Queenan. I'll also comment on what i think of wilson once i've read a bit more

also

could you possibly post comments on the book your reading The Woman Who Cut Off Her Leg at the Maidstone Club i noticed it and it looks intriguing (also i looked it up on amazon and they are charging £97.00 pounds! is there any reason for this?)

dolz said:
Thanks I'll look into Joe Queenan. I'll also comment on what i think of wilson once i've read a bit more

If you want the celebrity bashing stuff check out:
_If You’re Talking To Me Your Career Must Be In Trouble_
_The Unkindest Cut: How A Hatchet-Man Critic Made His Own $7,000 Movie And Put It All On His Credit Card_
_Confessions Of A Cineplex Heckler_

_My Goodness: A Cynic's Short-Lived Search For Sainthood_
_Joe Queenan's America: Red Lobster, White Trash And The Blue Lagoon_
are also good, as are his others. One of the only writers to make me laugh out loud.

I mean, come on, the guy wrote a biography of Dan Quayle, so you *know* his sense of humour has to be sharp…

dolz said:
could you possibly post comments on the book your reading The Woman Who Cut Off Her Leg at the Maidstone Club i noticed it and it looks intriguing (also i looked it up on amazon and they are charging £97.00 pounds! is there any reason for this?)

I have to say I wasn’t enthusiastic before picking it up. And the only reason I did it was because I am working on an Amy Hempel website, and for completeness’ sake, I’m trying to list books AH has reviewed. This is one of them. Slavin apparently worked in television as a producer, which is probably why I was hesitant to read the stories, but hot damn, she’s pretty good.
Very strange, some of them. If I had to pitch it, I’d say Ann Beattie meets…Salvador Dali.
I’ve been saving the last few shorts, which may be this rainy weekend’s project.

As for the price, I don’t know. Someone else pointed this out to me this week. Strange. I guess the book(s) are in short supply and she’s found herself a ‘cult following’.
This summer she has a new book out, so with any luck that will sell well, bringing this collection back into print.
I can understand paying major money for a book several decades old, but this, and coincidently, Amy Hempel’s second collection of shorts, are simply just years old and fetching a pretty penny on the market.
Good luck.

It's snowing like crazy here, and I'm staying in and starting "The Master", by Colm Toibin tonight. I've been anticipating this. (I'm going to find out if I can read Toibin and Ruth Rendell at the same time -- I may have to put one or the other of them down ...)

Cup of tea and a fire -- here goes!

Off goes the computer.

:D

I am reading:
Illuminatus Trilogy
Robert Anton Wilson
Write it Down Make it Happen
Henriette Klausner (don't ask i'm addicted to self-help)
and
100 Great Businesses and the Minds behind them (for my freelancing job)
and i just finished Free Thinking by Stephanie Dowrick which was a nice breath of fresh air.

Last Chance to See by Douglas Adams / Mark Carwardine

I started to read it this week.
All i can say right now is, i absolutely LOVE it (so far) :D

The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. I've been reading this for a few days now. It's a long book and the weather has been good, so I've lost a couple good days to yard work. The story is really great though and I feel like the pages just fly by. I have grown very attached to the characters
to the point that I am extremely upset with Daniel's announcement that he will be dead within a week (I'm a chapter or two past that point)

I have this book, mehastings, and was put off by the beginning. I'll give it another try. (Or maybe I'm thinking of Queen of the South? I think I bought them at the same time...)

Anyway, I'll report back when I do read it!

I'm currently reading "Any Place I Hang My Hat" by Susan Isaacs and I'm really enjoying it! It's about a young woman who's writing an article on a Democrat Presidential candidate when a college aged young man bursts in on the party and insists that he's the man's son. As she starts helping the young man on his journey of discovering paternity and all that, she decides to start her own search for the mother who abandoned her when she was only 10 months old.

I should finish in the next day or so. It's just a really good story of a woman trying to figure out where she truly belongs.

StillILearn said:
I have this book, mehastings, and was put off by the beginning. I'll give it another try.

I think it is deserving of another try. I thought the begining was good, so maybe it was the other book. Either way, just finished it and I'm rating it as best book so far this year.

Angels & Demons by Dan Brown. I figured I'd better see what everyone is all cranked up about here. I'm only about 20 pages in, but it has my interest so far.

mehastings said:
Angels & Demons by Dan Brown. I figured I'd better see what everyone is all cranked up about here. I'm only about 20 pages in, but it has my interest so far.

It is a very good read. I know Dan Brown isn't very popular on these boards but then again, no author who ever gets mainstream success seems to be taken seriously on here.

I'm reading The Mermaids Singing by Val McDermid. Quite impressive so far. Very gruesome torture descriptions though......

Dogtanian said:
It is a very good read. I know Dan Brown isn't very popular on these boards but then again, no author who ever gets mainstream success seems to be taken seriously on here.

Yea, I'm a bit further in now, and I really like it. I doubt it will be the deepest book I read this year, and it may not have insane literary value, but I can find good in almost any book.

mehastings said:
Yea, I'm a bit further in now, and I really like it. I doubt it will be the deepest book I read this year, and it may not have insane literary value, but I can find good in almost any book.

I have read it and it was ok. An airport lounge book if ever there was, and not the type I can read all the time.

But I do like your attitude. It is far better to find the good in something than just focus on the bad (if a little difficult at times).

Has anyone read any of Dan Brown's other books? I don't know if I was just familiar with his style by the time I read deception point and digital fortress, but I thought they were a very far cry from angels and demons and the davinci code.

jesschoub said:
Has anyone read any of Dan Brown's other books? I don't know if I was just familiar with his style by the time I read deception point and digital fortress, but I thought they were a very far cry from angels and demons and the davinci code.

Some of my students have read all of them. They saw me walk into class tonight with the book and completely freaked out. They seemed to agree that Angels and Demons is the best of the four. My brother has read them all too. He's not picky and he thought they were all great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back