• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Currently Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just started A False Sense of Well Being by Jeanne Braselton. So far, so good. I needed something light after The Virgin Suicides.

Just started Fierce People by Dirk Wittenborn, a novel that opens in NYC in 1978 with a 15-year-old protagonist who is soon relocated to a very privileged enclave among the very very rich. So far so good. The narrative voice is very amusing, and the scene details seem right. So, we'll see . . .

just finished angels an demons currently reading the 5th book in the outlander series. These are my favorite series of books, does anyone else like them?

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams.

This book is so short. I am about halfway through and I've been reading it for about an hour. It's good so far though. I have the whole anthology and am toying with reading another one next instead of The No 1 Ladies Detective Agency.

sanyuja said:
By the light of the moon - Dean Koontz
My first Dean Koontz. Read the first 100 pages. Like it so far.
I haven't read any of his books either, but there are three in my to-be-read pile (NightChills, Lightning, & TickTock). I'm going to try to read at least one this summer.

Currently, I've read four chapters of 'Wizard and Glass'-Stephen King. This could take a while since its gardening time here, which can take up most of my day! :cool:

Vamped by David Sosnowski, it's very very good, but I don't wanna jinx it, cause everytime I say a book is good before I finish it, it ends up really terrible. Thankfully I only have 100 pages or so left to go. :)

Vicky said:
I am reading a book called How Children Fail, by John Holt.

As a homeschooling family, we are always interested in why children learn, or in some cases not learn. It is a revised edition from the original in the late 50's, and sadly, children and their failure rates do not seem to have improved in all those years.

It should be a scary read for anyone who's children attend schools or any form of mass education.

Cheers, Vicky
Another book you might find interesting is Killing monsters : why children need fantasy, super-heroes, and make-believe violence by Jones, Gerard.
It's a fairly controversial book and I didn't agree with a lot of what he said, but it was fascinating and make me think and relook at feelings and ideas that I had taken for granted.

Halo said:
I've just finished Pratchett's NIght Watch and really enjoyed it, so I've decided to go back and read the whole Discworld series in order! Should keep me quiet for a while! :D
Considering he's up to about 32 of 'em, you got that right! Make sure you don't skip over is "juvenile" stories The Amazing Maurice And His Educated Rodents, The Wee Free Men and A Hat Full Of Sky. They may have been written for younger readers but there is nothing juvenile about them. If more authors wrote for young adults with the respect and intelligence Pratchett does, I think more young people would read books.

I just started Anna Karenina by Tolstoy. So far so good. Lately I've put books down after a chapter or two because they just don't grab me, but this one seems to be holding my attention.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back