• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Currently Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.
jay said:
Needless to say, just my stern opinion. A cute idea general gets deflated once the well has been taped too many times. Ffrorde, not a skillful writer by any measuring stick, solely has his nifty little ideas to rely on. Once the idea becomes dilute -and he completely ruins his only real creation (a typical mistake for many male writers is their great inability to write a strong female character)- there is really nothing but nostalgia (for one’s previous enjoyment, which is apparently enough for most people).

Ke-rist. I guess the aching teats still have milk in them. And here I though he was going to try to achieve something else…alas.

j

I'll freely admit that Fforde is fluffy. But I think the first book is pretty strong. It makes for great bedtime/beach reading. But, again, merely my humble opinion. And I was actually dissapointed with the topic of the new book as well. I was hoping for something - well - new. Has anyone read it yet?

Pigeon said:
I'll freely admit that Fforde is fluffy. But I think the first book is pretty strong. It makes for great bedtime/beach reading. But, again, merely my humble opinion.

I don’t disagree.
I enjoyed the first one and have given it as a gift several times.
My comments are based strictly at trying to follow-up what should have been a stand-alone book.
But this is just Industry now. I see the chap who did _Wicked_ is also continuing with the Oz themes. Dan Brown will undoubtedly spin yet another pseudo-mystery with puzzle themes, the [deleted] conjuring up Harry Wanker books wont stop at 3 as she initially stated. My money is on S. King not “retiring” when he says he plans too, etc.
It’ not art; it’s industry.

And I was actually dissapointed with the topic of the new book as well. I was hoping for something - well - new. Has anyone read it yet?

Not that anyone can’t have a ARC, but it’s not out until mid-July.
j

jay said:
I don’t disagree.
I enjoyed the first one and have given it as a gift several times.
My comments are based strictly at trying to follow-up what should have been a stand-alone book.
But this is just Industry now. I see the chap who did _Wicked_ is also continuing with the Oz themes.
I'll agree with you there. I hadn't heard that Maguire was doing another Oz-themed book. I really enjoyed Wicked, though others of his I've read I haven't liked nearly so much.

Not that anyone can’t have a ARC, but it’s not out until mid-July.
j
oh riiiiight. I think I knew that. :)

StillILearn: I don't recall, exactly. I just know I have less than 100 pages left.

Pigeon said:
I hadn't heard that Maguire was doing another Oz-themed book.

Ack. Totally my bad...I only recently saw the cover (having noooooooo desire to even pick it up) of…[looking] _Confessions of an Ugly Step-Sister_ and assumed (with the cringing 3 seconds of thought I gave it) he was playing with the Oz/Witch thing still. Now, feeling even more repulsed I see he’s just continued on with other already-established themes. A bit of Woody Allen’s “those who can’t teach teach gym” syndrome methinks.
Sorry about that.
j

1358340.gif

StillILearn said:
I'll be interested to hear what you think about this book. It seemed to me to be a tad bit -- um -- well -- anyway, I'll be interested to hear back from you in about six months time.

:rolleyes:
Drags a bit? :)

StillILearn said:
Um, well, I wouldn't exactly say that. I thought it could have stood a bit of gentle editing, perhaps.

(But that's just me.)

;)
Well, I finally purchased Blindness so I've decided to start that before Jonathan Strange. I'll get into it later this summer. :)

jay said:
Ack. Totally my bad...I only recently saw the cover (having noooooooo desire to even pick it up) of…[looking] _Confessions of an Ugly Step-Sister_ and assumed (with the cringing 3 seconds of thought I gave it) he was playing with the Oz/Witch thing still. Now, feeling even more repulsed I see he’s just continued on with other already-established themes. A bit of Woody Allen’s “those who can’t teach teach gym” syndrome methinks.
Sorry about that.
j
I suppose I can forgive you this once, Jay. But lets not let is happen again, hmmm.? ;)

I haven't read confessions, but I did read Lost and Mirror Mirror. Mirror was the fairy tale theme again (snow white) and was quite disappointing. Lost was completely different and, well, just plain weird.

Pigeon said:
I suppose I can forgive you this once, Jay. But lets not let is happen again, hmmm.? ;)

Yes, will due. A great example of twisting one’s ankle upon landing upon a jumped conclusion.

Pigeon said:
I haven't read confessions, but I did read Lost and Mirror Mirror. Mirror was the fairy tale theme again (snow white) and was quite disappointing. Lost was completely different and, well, just plain weird.

I’m not intrigued by the idea, myself. There’s a comic book currently being published (_Fables_ by DC Comics) with much the same ideas (playing with Fairy Tale themes, etc).
I can understand certain methods being used to try to break into being published, but staying that kind of course is about as dreadful as a band simply just doing cover-versions of songs.
j

Sure, just ask away in this part of the forum with any questions you might have. Also, please feel free to Private Message ( PM ) either myself or one of the other moderators with any questions you might have!

Welcome to the forum :)

Reading Roberts' Shantaram. Depite a very intriguing opeing, nothing's happening :( I was expecing something along the lines of Middlesex. Oh well 800 pages to go.

Oh Penman's The Sunne in Splendour was very good. Thanks to whoever recommended it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back