• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Currently Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finished Good in Bed by Jennifer Weiner, liked In her shoes better though..

Currently Reading Fay by Larry Brown... Slow starter but now i cant put it down!

fluffy bunny said:
This book sounds intriguing. Who's it by? And what's it like?

By Jasper Fforde, concerning the adventures of Thursday Next, Literary Detective!!

Very funny, very offbeat, very good!!

Phil

Martin said:
How did you like The Eyre Affair? I recently bought it.

Cheers, Martin :D

Disappointed. Thursday Next is a cool name, but a bland character. I didn't really like her all that much. I will give Jasper Fforde much credit on inventiveness...the plot was certainly different. As far as amusing, the book certainly is funny, but that isn't enough for me. I just didn't like the characters all that much, which is important for my enjoyment of a book. After all the hype, I was expecting more.

I am currently re-reading House of Chains By Steven Erikson.

I really want his latest, Midnight Tides, but I cannot afford it at this time. :( Books are quite expensive down under.

The years of rice and salt - Kim Stanley Robinson. It's very nicely written, the style changes depending on where and when the current bit of the story is set, but its a bit slow.

I just finished rereading Michael Marshall Smith's collection of shorts called What You Make It, and have started in Iain Banks' Dead Air, which I picked up (3 for 2) at Waterstones. Can never be as good as The Wasp Factory, though. :(

Well, I just recently started reading The Charmed Sphere, by Catherine Asaro, and I'm already over halfway through it. After I'm finished with that, I just picked up Grass For His Pillow, by Lian Hearn, and it looks like it'll be pretty good indeed.

I have just started The Fog by James Herbert. I'm not far into it, but so far so very good. It's starts out all normal and I was thinking that the scene was just being set then wham! something cool happens.

And Martin, look out for Complicity by Banks. The more I think about it, the more I am convinced that it is better than The Wasp Factory. As I've said before, take the ending out of Wasp Factory and it is average, but Complicity just has everything going for it.

yeah, I heard you say that sometime somewhere, but by then I'd already bought Dead Air, so I'm gonna have to read that first...

Hmmm, just had an idea for a thread.

Thanks for the recommendation, Igkuk!

I am reading Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea. One of my new years resolutions was to expand my reading to more classics.

Prowlers - Christopher Golden, read the 1st 2 books... just started the 3rd one in the series.
Very good so far.. don't want to put it down.. shame book is sooooo heavy!

Life of Pi, eventually...and unfortunately. I'm now thinking if the ending is worth struggling through this stupidity, but I can't imagine it being any better, so I'll probably end my meeting with this book right where I'm. HUGE disappointment.

igkuk7 said:
Martin, look out for Complicity by Banks.

Although I fail to recall the story of Complicity and The Wasp Factory I remember enjoying Complicity more. Whether this was because The Wasp Factory was forced upon me and Complicity was my own choice or whether the narrative was just better, I can't say. So, without remembering why, i agree with igkuk7.

I am reading LOTR for the first time, just started. Don't you envy me?

Now I must go have a series of visions in which those who wouldn't recommend it are being impaled. Excuse me for a moment.

Just finished Last Man Standing by David Baldacci yesterday and started Rise of Endymion by Dan Simmons last night. Really looking forward to seeing how Simmons winds up his Hyperion series.

Also reading Fall On Your Knees by Ann-Marie MacDonald and Path Between the Seas by David McCullough.

Ell :)

Ell said:
Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman
Only my second Neil Gaiman novel and I'm enjoying it even more than "American Gods". Almost finished.

No Great Mischief by Alistair MacLeod
Just started this one. It came highly recommended by a cousin and when I was checking it out, the librarian said it was on her "must read" list. MacLeod is a Canadian author.

Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood
Another Canadian author and one of my favourites. This is Atwood's latest novel and made it to the long list for this year's Booker. Just got it from the library and can't wait to start.

Tin Drum by Gunter Grass
Still plodding my way through. I read a few pages, put it down, then won't pick it up again for weeks. Someone, please tell me it is worth it. Or maybe I should just quit and give it another go next year!

AND ... an assorted pile of travel and cruise magazines - planning for next year? :D :D

Ell, have you tried getting hold of the film adaption of Tin Drum? It might help you. It is worth it. Believe me... :)

Hobitten :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back