• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Currently Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.
Received in the mail at work today: The Girl with the Pearl Earring, and can't quit reading, despite the fact that I have TONS of work to do.

Pacific Vortex! by Clive Cussler

It's one o' them Dirk Pitt adventures that were mentioned recently in another thread. Thought I'd give it a shot. And since I'm just zipping through it, I'll go ahead and mention my next read...

Contest by Matthew Reilly. I believe he was mentioned in the same thread about action-packed novels. Happened to see this one at the library, so I snatched it up.

Re-reading one of the novels on my book shelf called Salamander

Synopsis: In a spectacular gothic castle of mechanical revolving doors, moving floors and unstable staircases broods Count Ostrov, obsessive collector of pussles and stories. He charges Nicholas Flood with the tast of creating an infinite book; a story with no beginning and no end. But when Nicholas meets the Counts's beautiful daughter Irena, a forbidden romance begins - and soon ends, as Nicholas is swiftly imprisoned in the castle's dungeon. Once free, he embarks on a perilous journey though Venince, Alexandria, China and London, on a quest of knoledge, and into the path of greater danger...

This is a great novel and highly recommend it! :)

I'm reading The Light Ages by Ian MacLeod. It's a steam punk alternative history. Very English. The Industrial Revolution was fueled by aether, which seems to be able to do awful things to a body. Everything is built very shoddily and then magicked into working. Electricity is a thing of mystery.

There's quite a lot going on with the book so far. Many different levels, and an awful lot of obvious political and historical parallels with the real industrial revolution and certain technologies that exist today.

I can understand the comparison with Mieville, but the 'science' is different enough that it's not a rip off at all, and it's set very much in England without any cactus or beetle people running around. Definitely more one for the fans of Perdido Street Station than The Scar. It has the same murky feel of a polluted world that isn't quite as wonderful as it should be.

I'm not currently reading anything, but the last book I read was Song of Susannah, Dark Tower 6.

I just found Isis Unveiled by H.P. Blavatsky in Borders today and bought it immediately. Started reading it on the bus home; nice.

just finished reading King's Insomnia after what seemed like an eternity. i couldn't get into it. Now i'm starting "Blackden" by Duncan McLean. He's a Scottish writer (i think.?)and the blurb compares him to Holden Caulfield. Seems interesting. Anyone read his work?

I am currently reading Royal Assassin by Robin Hobb and would thoroughly recommend it. It is a cracking fantasy yarn, and I'm surprised that I came to this party so late! She's been recommended to me for ages, and I should have read her books immediately.

I've just started Arthur C. Clarke's "The Songs of Distant Earth," but I don't think it will last much longer. I have to say that I'm not incredibly impressed, the scientific basis to his work is very interesting and his style, though not always to my taste, has its moments, but overall it's left me a bit cold so far. I'm still enjoying it, however, and shall reserve judgement until it's finished.

Well, I finally found it again.

Currently devouring Middlesex. If it keeps up the quality of the 1st half, it'll probably be amongst the best books I've read this yr.

Themistocles said:
I've just started Arthur C. Clarke's "The Songs of Distant Earth," but I don't think it will last much longer. I have to say that I'm not incredibly impressed, the scientific basis to his work is very interesting and his style, though not always to my taste, has its moments, but overall it's left me a bit cold so far. I'm still enjoying it, however, and shall reserve judgement until it's finished.

I remember being quite impresssed with it because it's quite hard to right a book about utopia and make it an interesting story! Although, mostly, my feelings about him as a writer are pretty much in line with yours.

Jenem- Are you sure? I am having a really hard time getting into it. I'm leaving it for a while and now I am reading King's Rose Madder. Hopefully Outlander will interest me later.

what part are you at? the beginning chapters where claire and her husband are on their late honeymoon were a bit slow, but when she reaches the stones it gets really good.

I started yesterday Hopeful Monsters by Nicholas Mosely the Whitbread winner - its a little eccentric but its flows along I havent checked to see if its in the Library here - The Beach by Alex Garland wasn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back