• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Currently Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, finished both books yesterday and am now reading Holes by Louis Sachar, which seems a very nice book. I need to know why they make those boys dig holes all the time ;)

I'm currently readng Gargoyles by Thomas Bernhard. I just discovered this Austrian writer and I think he is brilliant ! The jacket compares him to Kafka, Mann and Camus, but this dark tale of a country doctor and his son making the rounds of the Austrian countryside reminds me the most of Gogol's Dead Souls, with it's intriguing characters and its commentaries on village life. Although the subject matter is grim, it's presented in a very rational, readable way. If you haven't come across this author before, I suggest you check him out.

buddi

I just started The Rule of Four by Ian Caldwell and Dustin Thomason. It looks good, but I'm only partway throught the first chapter.

You're an Animal Viskovitz! by Alessandro Boffa. A quick and easy read after finishing Catch 22.
This is about animal reincarnation (stay with me) - a snail with two sexes, who becomes a dormouse with erotic dreams, a buddhist police narcotics dog, a microbe with an inferiority complex, a scorpion with the fastest sting in the west and so on .... all good clean fun! Read it in a day.

I've just started Frank McCourt's Angela's Ashes, and thus far it's not bad. The author conjures up quite an image of poverty and its consequences. It also helps that he's got a sense of humour.

im reading "evil under the sun" by agatha christie, so far i like it, poirot its a little more sociable than in other books, also i was looking foward to read this one since i notice in a videoclub i go, they have a copy of the movie, so i can compare them later.

Salamander, by Thomas, Wharton, which was recommended by sillywabbit.

Listen to this:

--Ah, now, there is your content.
---what is?
---Time. You must get it all into your book.
---I don’t understand.
---As St. Augustine said, if you ask me what time is, I know. If I wish to explain it to you, I know not.
---A riddle worthy of the Count. Just remove the word time.
---What if time is not what we imagine it to be? Not a smooth continuous absolute, the same fore everyone.
---You mean something like the fact that right now it’s night on the other side of the earth.
---Not exactly. Perhaps, like the gods of India, time has many faces. The Abbe tapped idly on the windowpane.
--Perhaps everything really happens at once. What if time is like the rain? We make a path through it, and a few drops touch us and we call that our lives. But if one could slip between the droplets, or gather them all, like water in a well

Have a very nice Sunday, you guys. :)

Currently reading Stephen King's last Dark Tower book, The Dark Tower. I started this series about 10 years ago so it's been a long wait. I'm almost afraid to finish it though...then it'll be over.

Finished The Rule of Four last night and this morning I started Dana Stabenow's A Grave Denied. I enjoyed The Rule of Four very much.

I am currently reading Tears of the Giraffe, the 2nd book in the 'No.1 Ladies Detective Agency' series. I finished the first book today (The No.1 Ladies Detective Agency) and am very impressed so far. The writing and the stories are very simple, but it is still gripping, although not in the way that you would think with a book about a private detective.

cajunmama said:
I enjoyed The Rule of Four very much.

I binned it after 150 pages. Amateurish! Poorly written! Terrible!

What did you like about it? What was there to like about it?

I liked the intrigue, the puzzles, the reminder of what college life was like, and what it could have been like, and even the ending.

Halfway through The Statement by Brian Moore, about a Vichy war criminal in France who is being tracked down with the aim of assasinating him. The criminal is aided by obscure arms of the Catholic church. I like Brian Moore (I also read Lies of Silence), and so far, so good, (the occult religious aspect is a bit thick) though I think I can see what the big "surprise" plot twist is going to be from a mile off. Seems he is translated into German a lot.

I've just finished 'The five people you meet in Heaven' by Mitch Albom, Which is a fantastic book, its really thought provoking, and a very fast read. I would really reccomend it

I have just started Last Tango In Aberystwyth by Malcolm Pryce, although i might just take a bit of time off reading as have been reading solidly for the past 2 days.

Colin said:
I've just finished 'The five people you meet in Heaven' by Mitch Albom, Which is a fantastic book, its really thought provoking, and a very fast read. I would really reccomend it

what's it about Colin? :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back