• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Currently Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.
fluffy,

here is the link,Existentialism and we have a philosophy professioinal here. ;)

forgot to ask. I've noticed your current reading. what is the genre of that one (book of skulls)? a horror or fanatsy? thanks.

It's under science fiction (as are most of Silverberg's works).

Four students discover a manuscript, The Book of Skulls, which reveals the existence of a sect, now living in the Arizona desert, whose members can offer immortality to those who can complete its initiation rite. To their surprise, they discover that the sect exists, and is willing to accept them as acolytes. But for each group of four who enter the rite, two must die in order for the others to succeed.

One of the 2 to die must be willing to commit suicide, and the other will be murdered by the others. It's quite interesting trying to work out who lives and who dies, especially if you look at it from a philosphical kind of view.

HEY YEAH!!!!!!!!!

I love that book. Glad you are enjoying it Martin. It's so funny :D I have read it now at least 10 times.

PS: Nice to see you back around here on the forum Martin :)

Well, I've been busy - hang on, I'm still busy.

Enjoy it while it lasts. :)

Anyway, back to topic.

Cheers

I am reading If on a Winter's Night a Traveler by Italo Calvino. A very unusual book to say the least, but interesting. :cool:

Don't say those things to me - it makes me want to leave the house, find a bookstore/library, grab the book, and read it, read it, read it! And it's past 1 AM!

And freezing outside!

Anyway, I read Calvino's Cosmicomics a while ago, which is a collection of shorts about the creation of the Universe seen from the viewpoint of atoms, molecules, partikels, etc .. Absurd doesn't even begin to describe it; but the point is, I wasn't too impressed with it. I might give him a scond chance, once, though. And if I do, If on a Winter's Night a Traveler is gonna be it.

Cheers

Oh, do give my pal Calvino a second chance. If on a Winter's ... is really in a league of it's own. I've never read anything like it.

Ok, I'm convinced (hey, I'm easy, wat can I say?). It's on my to-buy-list.

When you're done with it, don't hesitate to express your thoughts about it in the thread I posted 2 posts ago (or create a new one).

Cheers

Timeline of the Oreo Cookie
• 1898 National Biscuit Company (NaBisCo) founded
• 1912 Oreos introduced
• 1974 Official name of cookie became OREO Chocolate Sandwich Cookies
• 1975 DOUBLE STUF Oreos introduced
• 1987 Fudge covered Oreos introduced
• 1991 Halloween Oreos introduced
• 1995 Christmas Oreos introduced
• 1998 Oreos made kosher

1987 Fudge covered Oreos introduced

1991 Halloween Oreos introduced

1995 Christmas Oreos introduced

The Mysterious Name

So how did the Oreo get its name? The people at Nabisco aren't quite sure. Some believe that the cookie's name was taken from the French word for gold, "or" (the main color on early Oreo packages). Others claim the name stemmed from the shape of a hill-shaped test version; thus naming the cookie in Greek for mountain, "oreo." Still others believe the name is a combination of taking the "re" from "cream" and placing it between the two "o"s in "chocolate" - making "o-re-o." And still others believe that the cookie was named Oreo because it was short and easy to pronounce.

No matter how it got named, over 362 billion Oreo cookies have been sold since it was first introduced in 1912, making it the best selling cookie of the 20th century.

Fancy that! ...And I never even had one 'sniff' :(

cajunmama said:
I'll send you a package of Oreos and you send me a package of Hobnobs, deal?

As you both seem so interested in all things "biscuit" it's my pleasure to nudge you (politely) in the direction of this thread:http://forums.thebookforum.com/showthread.php?t=2783&highlight=biscuits

Personally I find it more than a lttle bizarre, but it seems that to some the said sugary foodstuff is a source of endless fascination. "Go figure", as you might say. ;)

ControlArmsNow said:
Personally I find it more than a lttle bizarre, but it seems that to some the said sugary foodstuff is a source of endless fascination. "Go figure", as you might say. ;)
I don't know about that endless fascination stuff, but I do know that I am dying to try Hobnobs and apparently Delta feels the same about Oreos. Not really interested in all those other cookies/biscuits they were yammering on about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back