• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Currently Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.
Currently reading War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy. I've been at it for about 3 weeks now but its only in the last 2 days I've had time to really read it.
So far its a great book, and I think Tolstoy manages to make the characters different and interesting. Had a bit of trouble at first, since I'm very bad at remembering names and there are a lot of characters in this book and they are refered to with different names. This almost made me give up on the book, but since I have had time to read more than 5 pages at a time, I have gotten the names in place, and am really enjoying it.
Got a little nervous when I read that Prince Andrew had died (my favorite character) but fortunately you learn quite fast that he is alive.

I mentioned over in another thread that I just posted that I want to really get around to reading this one. I'm pretty bad at remembering the names too so I think that I will use a note pad to keep track lol :D

I am currently reading The High Lord by Trudi Canavan, this is the last book in a trilogy and I must say it has been an excellent read from the first page of the first book to where I am at the moment (almost finished last book).

Although the author has had short stories published in the past these are her first "Books" published.

If you are a fan of fantasy then I urge you to give it a try and if you have never read a fantasy book then I suggest you break that habit and pick this trilogy up.

Richard III - Shakespeare

And therefore, since I cannot prove a lover
To entertain these fair well-spoken days,
I am determinèd to prove a villain
And hate the idle pleasure of these days.

Fabulous! :D :D :D

I'm currently reading "The Conversations" (a number of interviews with Walter Murch, longtime picture/sound editor in film) and "Bard", a fiction book about how the origins of the Irish. Last night I finished "Faithful", Steven King's and Stewart O'Nan's book about the Boston Red Sox's 2004 season.

Prolixic said:
I just finished Friday by Robert A. Heinlein and just started The Legend That Was Earth by James P. Hogan.

how is it? It sounds interesting!
I'm still reading Sindney Sheldon's The Sands of Time!

Hell House by Richard Matheson - 301 pgs.

For over twenty years, Belasco House has stood empty. Regarded as the Mount Everest of haunted houses, it is a venerable mansion whose shadowed walls have witnessed scenes of almost unimaginable horror and depravity. Two previous expeditions to investigate its secrets met with disaster, the participants destroyed by murder, suicide, or insanity.

Now a new investigation has been mounted, bringing four stangers to the forbidding mansion, determined to probe Belaco House for the ultimate secrets of life and death. Each has his or her own reason for daring the unknown torments and temptations of the mansion, but can any soul survive what lurks within the most haunted house on Earth?

I picked this book up after reading Richard Matheson's I Am Legend. So far, the book has lived up to my expectation of it. Matheson is a very descriptive writer, and the surroundings of the house have already sent shivers up my spine.

I recommend this book to anyone who loves horror, or wants a scare for the week.

I just started Life of Pi by Yann Martel. I'm only in the early stages - up to about page 50 - but I'm really enjoying it so far. :D

marlasinger said:
I just started Life of Pi by Yann Martel. I'm only in the early stages - up to about page 50 - but I'm really enjoying it so far. :D
I've just finished it... do tell what you think of it in the Life of Pi thread elsewhere in the forum! :)

ds

I've just started on China Mieville's Perdido Street Station (thanks to this forum), and King and Straub's The Talisman in the car (I have The Talisman as an audiobook).

PSS almost lost me in the beginning - wasn't used to this overly descriptive style. I've gotten the hang of it now, and boy, what a busy place he's painting. Should be bloody interesting, this one...

I'm now into Chapter 4 or 5 of Talisman, and it's unbelievably *boring*. I can hardly believe it - this is Stephen King! I keep wondering why'd anyone bother to listen or believe Speedy Parker after just 3 chapters. I'll hear out the rest of the story, and then probably discuss it in another thread.

ds

I'm now in the middle of Stephen King's Misery

Paul Sheldon. He's a bestselling novelist who has finally met his biggest fan. Her name is Annie Wilkes and she is more than a rabid reader-she is Paul's nurse, tending his shattered body after an automobile accident. But she is also his captor, keeping him prisoner in her isolated house.

Now Annie wants Paul to write his greatest work-just for her. She has a lot of ways to spur him on. One is a needle. Another is an ax. And if they don't work, she can get really nasty.

Now, just a little note, the nurse is a f***ing psycho! I never knew someone could be so mean, hurtful, and dangerous to someone they absolutely adore, especially while telling them to write a novel for them.

It's a great story so far. I actually thought I was going to have a premature heartattack because I was so worried and anxious and just wanted to know what Sheldon was going to do. I was almost hyperventallating (sp?).

There was also a movie made from this book, but that's another story. I want to watch the movie once I'm finished reading.

xmissyo said:
There was also a movie made from this book, but that's another story. I want to watch the movie once I'm finished reading.

i am usually hugely disappointed by movies that were originally books. when the film is over my husband says "what did you think?" and then before i can answer in a mocking voice, mimicking me he says " the book was better". this is one scenario that i was like holy cow. kathy bates plays the nurse and she won an academy award for her portrayal. it was bang on. it will have you wincing just like the book. there is one scene in particular, (maybe you've read it,) that just makes my bum water :eek:

Well, I started Harry Potter 5 last night and I'm 200 pages in. It seems long winded and just hasn't grabbed my attention so far. The atmosphere of fear left over from book 4 which instead of building up, has dissipated IMHO. The rubbish with the Ministry of Magic just doesn't appeal to me. Now I'm just plodding through hoping that something interesting will happen soon.

Anyway, my copy of The Kite Runner has arrived just in case I need to drop Order of the Phoenix.

direstraits said:
PSS almost lost me in the beginning - wasn't used to this overly descriptive style. I've gotten the hang of it now, and boy, what a busy place he's painting. Should be bloody interesting, this one...

I had a few problems getting into it when I tried last year. I should give it another go at some point.

jenngorham said:
i am usually hugely disappointed by movies that were originally books. when the film is over my husband says "what did you think?" and then before i can answer in a mocking voice, mimicking me he says " the book was better". this is one scenario that i was like holy cow. kathy bates plays the nurse and she won an academy award for her portrayal. it was bang on. it will have you wincing just like the book. there is one scene in particular, (maybe you've read it,) that just makes my bum water :eek:

There are a few points in the book that made me hyperventilate. I just past one in particular which includes a needle, and a foot (If you know what I mean).

Stephen said:
I thought people could post up what book they are reading at the moment.

At the moment I am reading M.K. Gandhi - An Autobiography.

View attachment atinypic_com_1907q9

The Time Traveler's Wife..... by Audrey Niffenegger

This extraordinary, magical novel is the story of Clare and Henry who have
known each other since Clare was six and Henry was thirty-six, and were
married when Clare was twenty-two and Henry thirty. Impossible but true,
because Henry is one of the first people diagnosed with
Chrono-Displacement Disorder: periodically his genetic clock resets and he
finds himself pulled suddenly into his past or future. His disappearances
are spontaneous and his experiences are alternately harrowing and amusing.
The Time Traveler's Wife depicts the effects of time travel on Henry and
Clare's passionate love for each other with grace and humour. Their
struggle to lead normal lives in the face of a force they can neither
prevent nor control is intensely moving and entirely unforgettable.

And Its Fantasic.... :)

fluffy bunny said:
Well, I started Harry Potter 5 last night and I'm 200 pages in. It seems long winded and just hasn't grabbed my attention so far. The atmosphere of fear left over from book 4 which instead of building up, has dissipated IMHO. The rubbish with the Ministry of Magic just doesn't appeal to me. Now I'm just plodding through hoping that something interesting will happen soon.

OOTP is ok, but I don't feel it lives up to the other books...long-winded is definitely a good term for it. The action picks up a bit, but overall, I was unimpressed.

Delta_doh! said:
The Time Traveler's Wife..... by Audrey Niffenegger
And Its Fantasic.... :)
Delta_doh! Have you finished it? I have mixed feelings about this book... what do you think of the whole story?

ds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back