• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Currently Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.
Big Sur by Jack Kerouac, a friend lent it to me and has proved to be a fantastic read. The style of writing is so free and easy, a little difficult to read at first but once you get into it it's quite something.

The story details the slow breakdown of the central character, it's a bit of a rollercoaster ride with his beatnik friends but more toned down than 'On The Road' because they're all older.

I have just finished reading "Swagbelly" by DJ Levien. I would recommend the book. It was interesting, and had a few twists and turns, that kept you guessing. But overall it was a really down to earth kinda book. Let me know if youve heard of it or read it and what you think.

Currently reading "Watership Down" and "Cryptonomicon" (already mentioned in the sci-fi forum).

My son just gave me his copy of "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance", so am tempted to start that too.

Ripper by Michael Slade. It's a fairly bloodthirsty horror story, but once again I fail to be chilled. I guess I'm not a 'horror' person. It has a detective/mystery element to it which has my attention, so there's little chance of me not finishing it.

Bridget Jones's Diary by Helen Fielding. I don't think there's a point in writing what it's about.;)

The Winter Queen by Boris Akunin. The main character of whom you care, unexpected twists of action, humour, interesting observations about Russian society in XIX century, witty allusions to literature and history...More that you expect in a criminal book!

Hi all! I am new here. I just finished A Farewell to Arms a few days ago (for about the third time.) It is a magnificent read, one of the best war books I've ever read.
I'm currently hooked on a book called A Day in the Life. I was a little hesitant since it's an e-book, but it was free and it's surprisingly good, better than most regular books. It's definitely worth a visit to BeatlesNovel.com to download it.
Any Harry Potter book is also good :)

Welcome to the Book Forum, Eilonwy. A Day in the Life looks interesting. I haven't downloaded it yet, but have it bookmarked.

I've got way too many books going at the moment. I seriously think I need help! :rolleyes:

Here's what's on my reading table:

"Watership Down" - almost finished
"Cryptonomicon" - mid-way through
"Kate Remembered" - just starting
"On Cukor" - almost finished
"Hawaii: The Big Island Revealed" - working my way through
"Dracula" - starting for book of the month

And just picked up from the library:
"The Regulators" by Richard Bachman
"Stupid White Men... and Other Sorry Excuses for the State of the Nation" by Michael Moore

Current Read

I am currently about 1/2 way though "A Walk in the Woods" by Bill Bryson. I got the recommendation from here and so far I think it is spectacular. Certainly a page turner. Nothing too deep, but funny and moderately fact containing.

I love that book, definately one of his best - its mostly full of whimsical and delightful stories, because lets face it he's not actually doing much but walking, so i think its one of the funniest of his travel books :)

Phil

I'm reading "Before Women Had Wings" by Connie May Fowler. Very sad story about another bad childhood. Must remember to keep antidepressants close at hand when reading books of this nature.

I'm reading Diana Gabaldon's The Fiery Cross, which has wonderful characters and loads of specific details, but is very slow in spots (the first 200 pages cover basically one day's worth of action). I'm also about halfway through Scorsese on Scorsese, a good read for that filmmaker's fans.

I'm just about to start "Life of Pi" and also will be reading "Space Travel" by Ben Bova, to aid me in writing this year's sci-fi Nanowrimo novel. I just finished "The Paris Option" by Robert Ludlum and Gayle Lynds. It was very good!

Finished "A Walk in the Woods" and it was great. That being said, I followed another tip from this site and picked up "Winterdance" by Gary Paulsen. This book is fantastic! I already am 1/3 through and it is a great read, similar idea to Bill Bryson's book, but a completely different setting and writing style. Superb!

I am currently reading Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez and would love to discuss the book with anyone who has read it.

Efren - I read Love in the Time of Cholera recently and really enjoyed it. It was the first of his books I tried and inspired me to read One Hundred Years of Solitutude which was also a really enjoyable book, although it did take quite a while to get into.

Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad. A bit difficult to put events in the right order.:confused: But not as confusing as in Lord Jim, which is much longer.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back