• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Dan Brown: The Da Vinci Code

Darren

I finished reading this a few days ago. Has anyone else read it? What do you think about it?

Darren.

Fascinating and entertaining book!

The concepts regarding hidden symbols in the artwork make me want to find a good Da Vinci art book to check for myself! My only complaint is that I find the 'mystery/thriller' part of the book not as suspenseful as I'd like - don't like it when I can figure out what's going to happen next before the characters do. I haven't quite finished, so this opinion may change. :)

How did you like it Darren?

I have read a few books on the hidden symbolism in paintings. The interesting one wsa about the "Last supper" showing that the artist was painting a message to say that Jesus married Mary Magdalene and that he felt that John the Baptist was the real Messiah etc. Another interesting one was about Michaelangelo and his pagan beliefs incorporated into his paintings and sculptures. Really interesting. The author tied it all into the mysteries of the Knights Templar and their Masonic connections.

I agree. I found the symbology fascinating. I went and looked up the Da Vinci paintings mentioned in the book :) I must try to get to The Louvre.

The ending is pretty good, but I did figure out things before the characters did.

I think there's a sequel book planned.

Dan Brown has signed movie rights with Columbia.
It will be interesting to see how they handle the Holy Grail plot!

I haven't read this but having read the comments here i may well. I reminds me of a book,which was not critically acclaimed, ut was along the same lines - The Genisis Code by John Case - I thought this novel was fabulous (and I'm quite a tough critic myself).

headpodd, I looked up Genesis Code on Amazon and it does seem similar to the Da Vinci Code. I'll have to keep my eyes open for GC at the library.

I am Roman Catholic, did anyone else feel like they had a change in belief and all? The whole book seemed to make me question my religion. but I loved the book! Can't wait to read "Angels and Deamons"

Originally posted by h_carnahan
I am Roman Catholic, did anyone else feel like they had a change in belief and all? The whole book seemed to make me question my religion. but I loved the book! Can't wait to read "Angels and Deamons"
I'm catholic as well and found it extremely interesting. Angels and Demons is similar in it's subject matter.

I haven't looked up any of the Da Vinci references in the book, however I do plan to. I would love other suggestions along this same line.

Just bought Angels and Demons today, hurrah (went on my customary New Years book buying frenzy - well they will put them on sale wont they!!) :D When i get round to reading it (say ..... April or May :p ) i'll tell you what i think.

Phil

Hwy, rumor has it that Dan Brown's Da Vinci Code will be made into a film (possibly by Ron Howard)
those who have read the book, who doo you see as a cast for the film?

Here are my thoughts

Robert Langdon: tough choice...but best fit may be Val Kilmer, sort of a younger harrison ford maybe.....

Sophie Neveu: Charlize Theron jumped out IMMEDIATELY for her

Teabing: At first i was playfully thinking of John Cleese......for obvious reasons, but after reading the entire novel im doubting that choice....so i dont know

The French captain....hmmmmmm...Anthony Hopkins????? ehh, not quite a big enough part for him to do, so im stumped....any other thoughts??

Ive read Angels & Demons, which i really liked, but havnt read Da Vinci Code yet. Angels & Demons deals with the struggle between the worlds of science and religion, specifically with their champions, the Illuminati & the Vatican. It was a good thriller, lots of plot twists, betrayels, etc. A recommended read!! :)

Da Vinci Code is out in paperback March 1st (in the UK) so i'll wait til then to read it :p

Phil

It's a long post but wade through it if you want to scratch the surface of where this book is coming from.

I have not read the book BUT,,,,,,,,,

I did some research into it as a friend finished it and we were discussing the validity of Brown's premises.

A few of the topics

Priory of Sion
Mary Magdelene
Jesus
Da Vinci, imagery in his paintings
Holy Grail

On my evening of clicking on web sites and sifting through all the BS I did learn quite a bit.

Namely that during the developement of Christianity after the death (read the book) of Christ there was a power struggle going on, deciding who was going to be the head of the church and what should be included in the New Testament.

I hope everyone appreciates that church is not and has not been separated from state (read politics and government), more so in ancient times as religion was the seat of learning. Want to learn to read and write, then go find the local priest.

Anyway at this time 100-160 AD the 2 main men championing different schools of thought were Constantine (believed and developed what we have now) and Valentinus (Gnostism).
Constantine won the power struggle and Valentinus was eventually killed for heresy (a great religion, but lets not go there).
So followed a period of burning books, scrolls etc that had anything to do with gnostism and we ended up with 4 gospels in the New Testament.

Fast forward 1500 or so years later. The Dead Sea Scrolls were found. I assume everyone knows about these, BUT I assume the majority of you are mis-informed, (see links at end). Why do I mention these, well a couple of years later some more ancient texts were found The Nag Hammadi Library. This discovery never became widely know but is / was the more important find. These contained writings from and just before Valantinus' time relating to gnostism. eg The Gospel of Thomas.

Why do I write all of this,
well the ideas in the DaVinci Code are based on gnostism, and include, Jesus' relationship (sexual) and subsequent child and their bloodline which the Priory of Sion say can be traced to present day France and elsewhere. DaVinci being? a member of the Priory of Sion has put a lot of imagery relating to this in his paintings, as have other famous people, this still goes on today, so we are lead to believe? Also the beliefs of this group are more spiritual, plus women play a dominant role in the church, or rather they should. So you come down to the point of the book, yep it's all a big conspiracy theory, the Vatican and Catholic church have been deluding us and supressing the truth for nearly 2000 years (nothing new there:rolleyes: ) I am sure the vatican does contain and hold a lot of secrets, and that there was a power struggle during the churches formation, but whether or not the Priory of Sion is real, Jesus was cohorting with Mary and had a child, well I don't know.
Saying all this my friend enjoyed it and was intrigue by the ideas that Brown, plus it provoked a discussion, which novels these days rarely do.

Just a qualifier at the end, I am an athiest, so take my post from my point of view. Not trying to offend anyones beliefs.

Nag Hammadi Links 1 2

dead sea scrolls

Edits: twice spelling and clarification

I've read both. I read The Da Vinci Code first than read Angels & Demons. I liked Da Vinci better, but only because it was first really.

Both books have the same protagonist, Robert Langdon and both involve mysteries of and surrounding Christendom.

The books can be read out of sequence, with no real link between them other than the main character, but I would read Angels first, only because it's available in paperback. $7 investment rather than $20.

I'm not one to jump on band wagons but this is without a doubt my favorite book of the last year. It made me track down his other 3 books that I read in reverse order. The last time I read about the author I believe he was doing research on his latest adventure in the Washington DC area that had to do with the early stages of the U.S. as a nation. I'm sure the conspiracy theories and symbolism there will keep him busy for some time.

I am currently reading Deception Point and have Digital Fortress in the waiting. I will definitely be interested in his next novel.

Back