• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Dan Brown: The Da Vinci Code

Martin, you'll just have to read the book. I bet you're dying to take a peak at the spoilers :D

Well, I am 160 pages into it, so keep please it under your hat...:(

Thrilling, exiting book. Very fast. Almost out of breath while reading it...

Hobitten

:)

Just bought it yesterday (only £3.70 at Tesco - bargain!!)

Will read by the end of the weekend by any luck

Then i can read the spoiler boxes finally!! Yay!! :D

Phil

Is it really that good ... should I go out and buy it?

I had it in my hands the other day, and the blurb didn't do to much for me.

Come on people, convince me!

Cheers, Martin :D

Well i loved Angels & Demons - and my best mate (who has read about one book in the last ten years!) has been raving about it for months - so i'd give it a go (and will be, very soon :))

Phil

Maybe it's just because the book touched upon topics in which I've had previous interest and he played with history "a little bit" to suit his purpose. Some things, though, were just plain wrong.

It is fiction, you know?

Fiction
  1. The act of feigning, inventing, or imagining; as, by a mere fiction of the mind.
  2. That which is feigned, invented, or imagined; especially, a feigned or invented story, whether oral or written. Hence: A story told in order to deceive; a fabrication; opposed to fact, or reality. "The fiction of those golden apples kept by a dragon." (Sir W. Raleigh) "When it could no longer be denied that her flight had been voluntary, numerous fictions were invented to account for it." (Macaulay)
  3. Fictitious literature; comprehensively, all works of imagination; specifically, novels and romances. "The office of fiction as a vehicle of instruction and moral elevation has been recognised by most if not all great educators." (Dict. Of Education)
  4. An assumption of a possible thing as a fact, irrespective of the question of its truth.
  5. Any like assumption made for convenience, as for passing more rapidly over what is not disputed, and arriving at points really at issue.

Irrelevant.

Did anyone else spot the characters whose names were anagrams of related topics? (i.e. Leigh Teabing where Teabing is an anagram of Baigent, where both Leigh and Baigent [alongside Lincoln] wrote Holy Blood, Holy Grail)

Martin, it's a very quick, enjoyable read. The plot is rather predictable, but it's the other stuff he throws in that's fascinating. Wrong or not, it makes for interesting conjecture.

My advice? Get a used (ie. cheap) or library copy. Have fun reading it and if you don't like it, you're not out a load of cash.

Ell

(Thanks about the ava. Always wanted to be everyone's fairygodmother! :D )

Do we have to call you mum now?!

And thanks for the recommendation, Ell. But isn't it a fairly new book? Wouldn't that make finding a cheap used copy rather difficult?

Anyway, Mile-O-Phile. Irrelevant? What do you mean irrelevant?! The man wrote a book, he created a world of his own, and he can write whatever he wants, can't he. You didn't have to read it.

Martin, I've noticed that popular books often get used prices lower more quickly than less popular books/authors. Its probably worth checking around for a used copy.

:D I don't detest it per se I just think it's lacking: a nice idea that could have been so much more.

Well, i read it, i liked it :)

Now im off to read the spoiler boxes :D

Phil

PS: Martin, buy it, its a good enough yarn!

Back