• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Deep Fryers

leckert

Do you own a deep fryer?

What is your favorite thing to fry?

What is the strangest thing you have fried?

What was the most dangerous thing you have fried?

Did you buy it yourself, or was it a gift?

How often do you use it?

Do you own a deep fryer? you bet your ass I do

What is your favorite thing to fry? Turkey for Thanksgiving, chicken, mushrooms, onion rings french fries.....

What is the strangest thing you have fried? nothing

What was the most dangerous thing you have fried? Thanksgiving Turkey that was a little larger than pot recommended...inside the garage 'cause it was really windy and spitting rain that day....

Did you buy it yourself, or was it a gift? myself

How often do you use it? at least a dozen times a year....I bought a smaller pot for anything that's not a full size turkey....

I fry in Canolla Oil for less fat.....

i do not own one but growing up in a diner am very comfortable with deep fat frying. i can't think what the strangest thing is we ever fried, i will have to see what ricky remembers.
i love deep fried pickles, dipped in hot cheese sauce. there is also this type of flower from a shrub, similar to a small hydrangea that the japanese deep fry. it has a bitter taste and with the crunchy batter and salty shoyu, yum!

I fry in a castiron pan. I make Japanese things for bento boxes, which we have a couple of times a week.

Tonkatsu, for one. That's a thin boneless pork chop in panko, fried to a crisp and served v. hot with tonkatsu sauce to dip.

Also, shrimp wafers, which are shrimp hammered flat, dipped in corn starch, and fried crisp, served with wasabi mayonnaise or ponzu sauce.

I also like to make Belgian-style fries for the hub and kid as a treat. But I don't eat those. :eek:

Do you own a deep fryer? Abso-f-ing-lutely

What is your favorite thing to fry? food.

What is the strangest thing you have fried? Hot Dogs, and a bologna sandwich (really. not making this up. I am that pathetic.)

What was the most dangerous thing you have fried? I tried to do deep-fried ice cream once. I obviously don't know the secret! (try dropping a few drops of cold water into your hot fryer. multiply that reaction by about a billion!)

Did you buy it yourself, or was it a gift? Gift from wife to avoid burning down kitchen with hot grease on stove.

How often do you use it? almost hourly! At least two or three times a month. (chicken wings is really my favorite)

deep fried garlic dills. dipped in beer batter, fried till crispy then served with molten hot melted plastic cheese, (with a little salsa mixed in for good measure)

and leckert, the ice cream has got to be hard as a rock and coated with something, like crushed cornflakes.

jenngorham said:
and leckert, the ice cream has got to be hard as a rock and coated with something, like crushed cornflakes.

I think egg whites would work too, like Baked Alaska. Egg white is a great insulator.

jenngorham said:
deep fried garlic dills. dipped in beer batter, fried till crispy then served with molten hot melted plastic cheese, (with a little salsa mixed in for good measure)

Oh, I won't be trying the ice cream again.

My daughter cried, my wife ran out of the house, and I got quarter-sized burn marks on my forearms.

no, there'll be no fried ice-cream in the eckert house.

no.

nonono.

novella said:
I think egg whites would work too, like Baked Alaska. Egg white is a great insulator.

My experience is that you really don't want anything in the liquid form going into the almost 400 degree oil.....I would thing the crushed corn flakes, or maybe crushed oreo cookie crumbs....something DRY and something that does not liquify in intense heat.....

jenngorham said:

Fried pickles are very good.

I don't own a fryer, I don't really cook enough to buy things like that and well giving them to me as a gift, not such a good idea. ask my hubby about the time his mom gave me the cast iron pans he asked for.

novella said:
Tonkatsu, for one. That's a thin boneless pork chop in panko, fried to a crisp and served v. hot with tonkatsu sauce to dip.

mmmm tonkatsu. do you eat it with shredded raw cabbage?

novella said:
Protein hardens in heat.
I'm sure you could be right.....but I think most fried ice-cream recipees call for cornflakes or bread crumbs to create a very dry surface....but I'm not in any way claiming experience with this....just my thoughts....

plus as I think....the beer batter is not a dry surface, but it is quite thick....like my head.... :p

jenngorham said:
does it gross you out or appeal to you? they are really good with guiness.

it for sure does not make my mouth water with anticipation...and I do love a good pickle....

plus...I can't stand guiness....

Motokid said:
I'm sure you could be right.....but I think most fried ice-cream recipees call for cornflakes or bread crumbs to create a very dry surface....but I'm not in any way claiming experience with this....just my thoughts....

plus as I think....the beer batter is not a dry surface, but it is quite thick....like my head.... :p

Hey, guess what? I looked it up and you use both! Eggs and crumbs! :D

Back