• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Deodorant or Antiperspirant?

Motokid

What do you use? There's something about slapping something on your skin that changes the way your body naturally behaves that I don't like. Sweating is a natural body function. An Antiperspirant chemically changes the way your skin is supposed to function, but I do think it keeps you from developing a "smell" for a bit longer than just plain old deodorant. What do you prefer and why? Do you spray, roll-on, or stick? Do you not use anything at all?

Are there places in the world where the average women still does not shave under the arms? Wasn't this a mostly American style for a long time? Correct me if I'm wrong on that....

I'm a deodorant guy. Speed Stick usually. Don't like the idea of the antiperspirant. I don't have to wear a coat and tie to work. If I had to then the antiperspirant might get the nod, but since I can wear short sleeves in wamer months I don't get "stinky" unless/until I have to do something strenuous.

Your thoughts on the going's on under the arm would be appreciated...

What exactly is the difference between a deodorant and an antiperspirant? I use Axe myself and am very happy with it. (I tried all kinds of brands and smells before settling on this. Damn my armpits!)

I know some women that don't shave. They just go to a beautician and have it removed once a month with wax or something. I find shaving much easier though.

A deoderant does not chemically stop you from sweating, it just keeps the smell from becoming too offensive for some given period of time depending on how much you sweat.

An antiperspirant actually keeps you from sweating, and at the same time offers an odor guard as well.

I always figured there was a difference, but I never knew what it was. I also can't say that I know what it is that I use. I've never checked.

mehastings said:
I also can't say that I know what it is that I use. I've never checked.
Well, I expect a full report back from you in the next 24 hours or so....unless you are still at home in which case you need to go check right now....now do you hear me....go....now....go on....

Motokid said:
....unless you are still at home....
HAHAHA, I wish. I've been at work for over seven hours now.

Perhaps I'll think of it when I get home around 7, but I doubt it.

mehastings said:
HAHAHA, I wish. I've been at work for over seven hours now.

Perhaps I'll think of it when I get home around 7, but I doubt it.
Any good calls tonight?

mehastings said:
Nope. A lot of sitting around waiting for the phone to ring. I've finished one book and I'm well into a second.

Does that get boring? Would you rather have a call or two to break things up, or do you like the peace and quiet?

Did I just hijack my own thread?

Motokid said:
Does that get boring? Would you rather have a call or two to break things up, or do you like the peace and quiet?

Did I just hijack my own thread?

Yes, you did.

I don't want to say that we want people to get sick or hurt. It's just that we know it will happen eventually, so we'd usually prefer that it happen while we're working. I guess that is the "nice" way of saying it. Some nights I'm allowed to sleep. I don't mind quiet on those nights.

What I use is both a deodorant and an antiperspirant. I got to have the antiperspirant because it prevents pit stains. I'm sure those that live and work around me appreciate it, even though they never think about it.

Robert said:
What I use is both a deodorant and an antiperspirant. I got to have the antiperspirant because it prevents pit stains. I'm sure those that live and work around me appreciate it, even though they never think about it.
Both as in two seperate products?
Do you have to wear a suit, or is the a/c where you work that lame?

Motokid said:

Perhpas his product has both. I've since gone home and mine has both listed on the lable. It's a girly brand too, so it's not one of those power products for really stinky people. Maybe a lot of them just have both in it.

Either way, I've got to give you credit. I think this might be the most pointless discussion yet! :D

Antiperspirant isn't available in Italy, only deoderant. It's the one thing I always ask people to bring me when they come over from the UK. On my recent trip back to the UK, I stocked up in Boots, they must have thought I had a really severe problem..and well actually, being a woman of a 'certain age' I do glow rather heavily so I can't stand not to have deoderant.

Well you did ask.

mehastings said:
Either way, I've got to give you credit. I think this might be the most pointless discussion yet! :D

In light of recent events I thought it appropriate timing....stinky and all you know... :D

Motokid said:
Do you have to wear a suit, or is the a/c where you work that lame?

Both in the same product.

I work in an office and the a/c is fine for most. I'm more comfortable in temps that other people would consider chilly. Even with a small fan by my desk, the office always feels hot and stuffy to me.

Robert said:
I'm more comfortable in temps that other people would consider chilly. Even with a small fan by my desk, the office always feels hot and stuffy to me.

My office-mate is the same way. If there is not water condensed on the window in the morning when we come in, it's not cool enough for him...I could almost wear long-sleeve shirts to work and be comfortable...almost....a little too cool is better than a little too warm I guess.....

Motokid said:
My office-mate is the same way. If there is not water condensed on the window in the morning when we come in, it's not cool enough for him...I could almost wear long-sleeve shirts to work and be comfortable...almost....a little too cool is better than a little too warm I guess.....

That's about right. We compromise with the temp in the house. I leave the temp up a few degrees and leave the ceiling fans on, and my wife dresses a little warmer. And I can't tell you how much we appreciate having duel-zone climate control in both cars.

Back