• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Did you ever throw a book across the room?

Stewart said:
It's what he would have wanted.
Exactly...I was reading Ulysses in the bathtub and left the copy in the bathroom. It ended up getting pushed around on the floor until one of my friends noticed it and gave me lip for keeping a copy of THE BEST BOOK EVER WRITTEN [...] I said that's where Joyce would have kept it because he'd have opted to use it as toilet paper...
Anyhow, I have used books as weapons before (the Cambridge Guide to Victorian Lit. thrown at an ex-boyfriend) and sent Faulkner's Absalom! Absalom! flying out of sheer frustration. I am always caught between the object-worship aspect of books and wanting to incorperate them into "real" life functions. So, some of my books are in pristine condition on high shelves, and some are being used to prop open windows.

Oooh, how many marks are on my walls. Once I came close to hitting my cat (bad aim) with the first Harry Potter book. I got through 7 pages before I flung it across the room. My next thought was to email amazon.co.uk to get a refund. :p

I've trown books across my room, not because I didn't like it or the plot didn't turn the way I wanted to. But I've trown books in anger, we have all been teenager......

I don't remember if I actually threw it, but I should have: The Mysteries of Udolpho by Ann Radcliffe. It's the most tedious, boring, mind-numbing book in existence, and I would never have read it in the first place if it wasn't for this class I was taking on the Gothic Novel. If anyone has been considering reading it, let me spare you the time. Here's how it goes:

First 200 pages:
"A tree! Alas, I must cry!"
"A boat! Alas I must cry"
etc

Next 500 pages (yes, it's 700 pages long, but it feels like 7000)
"A corpse! No it was just a horse"
"Another corpse! No it was just a painting"
etc

You get the idea? Don't read it!

raffaellabella said:
Oooh, how many marks are on my walls. Once I came close to hitting my cat (bad aim) with the first Harry Potter book. I got through 7 pages before I flung it across the room. My next thought was to email amazon.co.uk to get a refund. :p

What, exactly, bothered you about it?

It's childish, even for a children's book, and badly written. I haven't any problem with the Harry Potter films. The latest was the best so far because I felt it had that wonderful, dry British humor.

Badly written in the sense that it hurt me to read it.:D Seriously, writing, like films, should be musical in the sense that there is a rythym. Rowlings writing doesn't. Her characters are cute and the storyline is interesting but I don't think she's a strong writer.

raffaellabella said:
Badly written in the sense that it hurt me to read it.:D Seriously, writing, like films, should be musical in the sense that there is a rythym. Rowlings writing doesn't. Her characters are cute and the storyline is interesting but I don't think she's a strong writer.

Can you give me a more specific example? What kinds of phrases, for instance, tip off your sensors for bad writing?

Last year I was reading "The Historian" and I was up in my bedroom in the dark with the Light Wedge. There was a part in it that scared the shit out of me at the same exact time that my window rattled in the wind.

I threw the book and it hit my closet door and make a loud clunky noise.

No, but "Sons and Lovers" had a close call... It was the first time I thought about burning a book (oh, wait, no, that was when I tried to read "portrait of an artist as a young man"...).

Dharma

Back