• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Did you ever throw a book across the room?

I've never thrown a book, although I have sworn and cursed at them.

I once accidently dropped a book I was reading in a river. I was fishing and reading, as you do, and got all excited when I caught a fish. I knocked everything over in my efforts to get the fish in and the book went flying into the water. Then I had to drop the line and get the book because it was the libraries. I was only about 10 at the time.

Oh definitely, and recently as a matter of fact. I was reading the book Voyager by Diana Gabaldon and I got SOO angry, that I actually DID throw the book across the room, and it took me 24 hours to pick the book back up. Lucky for Diana, the plot twist resolved itself, but I was mad there for awhile!

Astoryfan said:
Oh definitely, and recently as a matter of fact. I was reading the book Voyager by Diana Gabaldon and I got SOO angry, that I actually DID throw the book across the room, and it took me 24 hours to pick the book back up. Lucky for Diana, the plot twist resolved itself, but I was mad there for awhile!

I never got through Outlander. Would you recommend that I make an attempt to continue?

I wanted to throw A Farewell to Arms by Ernest Hemmingway across the room; I hated it so much. But I assured myself I was too mature for such childish course of action (although I did propose an organized burning of it in my A.P. English II class). I threw 20,000 Leauges Under the Sea by Jules Verne across the room several times while I was reading it. The only thing I liked about that book was Captain Nemo.

ValkyrieRaven88 said:
I wanted to throw A Farewell to Arms by Ernest Hemmingway across the room; I hated it so much. But I assured myself I was too mature for such childish course of action (although I did propose an organized burning of it in my A.P. English II class). I threw 20,000 Leauges Under the Sea by Jules Verne across the room several times while I was reading it. The only thing I liked about that book was Captain Nemo.

Funny you should mention 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea..just this afternoon I overheard three of my kids talking to their friend Alicia about various books they were reading, or were planning to read soon. My son Daniel said he hated Around the World in 80 Days because it was so boring in spots. My daughter then said she had an edition of 20,000 Leagues that had an intro by some famous writer or other.. who "gave permission to skip the boring places..since he did that too!"

This friend was telling the kids about a stack of books her former pastor gave her the other day..and they were all drooling when she told them about the Chaucer book...:cool:

Violanthe said:
Or want to? Was there ever a book that had a devastating plot twist? An infuriating storyline? A deviously shocking moment that it made you want to throw it across the room?

That will be uncivilized, what I would do is I would send it to those friends that I not fond of as birthday gifts.

If you are getting this type of books, now you know why.

:D

I once thru a book at a certain someone and hit em square in the forehead....best shot I ever made:D

But I assured myself I was too mature for such childish course of action (although I did propose an organized burning of it in my A.P. English II class).

I think my AP English Class felt similarly about Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce.

Violanthe said:
I think my AP English Class felt similarly about Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce.
It is surely a sin to even think about throwing or burning one of Joyce's fantastic masterpieces?! :eek:

Oh, I've thrown money across the room. Never books.

I've thrown my mobile phone out of the car window, too, but would never ever do that to one of my books.

The only time I ever threw a book across a room was just for the sake of it. The book itself actually wasn't that bad; I just felt like throwing it somewhere. My response to bad books is to complain to anyone who may listen.

Back