• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Disturbing Trend in Education

The urge for "more power' must be a male instinct. I have a 3.75 hp mower and believe you me, I'm always thinking of ways to tweak it for more output. I absolutely hate going over a patch that brings it to a halt. I'm not a gear head, but I'm still thinking.:D

Ever used a power nailer? My hubby says he'll never build another house without one.

I knew you were going to ask that...it's an awful admission, but I can't remember! Suffice to say that the story involved a disfunctional teenager killing homeless people for 'kicks'. It may have had some deep philosophical message, but (a) we didn't think so and (b) a bunch of 13 year old boys was very unlikely to appreciate that finer point either. We have no objection to a bit of violence or gore - in a relevant context; they are studying 'Macbeth' for GCSE, but there's a point to the blood and gore there, and a point that is easily demonstrable to a group of adolescents. The alternative class reader that the teacher in question has chosen, 'Fleshmarket' is quite bloody and gory too, but again, it has a point to it. It's a great blend of history and fiction set in the Edinburgh of Burke & Hare.

I can quite believe it. I am sure there are thousands of households that do not even possess a good dictionary or encyclopedia.

Are you talking about "Stone Cold"? That's about an ex army man killing homeless kids to "clean up the streets" and a young lad who becomes homeless helping to catch him. If so, it's a fantastic novel and the kids love it. I've not heard of one about teens killing homeless people, and I wouldn't like to read that, it doesn't sound very moral. Stone Cold has lots of questions and answers and discussion points, and is a superb read.

Back