• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Do you like to read with background noise, or need complete silence?

I can handle the sounds of nature if I am reading outside but I like peace and quiet inside.

A little soft music is ok, but nothing dramatic. And certainly not voices. As a person with poor hearing, interpreting speech is an effort at the best of times and a cruel distraction when I'm trying to read.

OTOH. I can take the hearing aids out and that softens the voices to the point where they are not much a distraction.

Silence is fine or background music (preferably not vocal music, though).

The other half likes to have the telly on and read at the same time – he seems to be able to do this. It drives me nuts. I struggle to read a page.

Silence is fine or background music (preferably not vocal music, though).

The other half likes to have the telly on and read at the same time – he seems to be able to do this. It drives me nuts. I struggle to read a page.

well, when I'm reading novelizations, I like to listen to the sound track of the film. Makes it more exciting!!!!!!

one thing I hate is trying to read on the bus. If people see you reading on the bus, they'll even go out of their way to distract you. Hippies are notorious for carrying chimes with them, and they'll ring them on the bus or anywhere they feel they can oppose the establishment. And if you politely ask "eh....will you like....cut that out... you idiot?"
the answer is invariably "this ain't no library"
well it isn't the magic bus ayther

I am SO guilty of this! However, any time he says something about my not listening to him and reading instead, I reply with, "Hon, it's kind of like me deciding to talk to you about my toenails during the Super Bowl." He always nods, puts up his hands and says, "Point taken.";)

Ten years of marriage has made it much easier for me to just give him the Is-this-really-important-enough-to-interrupt-this-chapter look. He'll nod and say, let me know when you get to a stopping point.

This is a case of women's lib gone just TOO far!

If I waited for a house of complete silence, I'd never read. You have to take it when you can!

White noise is something you hear for an extended period of time and after a while you just tune it out and don't "hear" it any more.

Actually, white noise is a scientific term, it's a random signal with a flat power spectral density (yeah, I know, that doesn't mean much to a lay person, but that's what it is). There is also pink noise, which has a power spectral density inversely proportional to the frequency (i.e. lower PSD at higher frequencies).

You can use white noise to create he effect that you have described above, but that is not the correct definition of it.

I do enjoy listening to music while I read, though genres such as rock or something similar are playing, I find difficult to concentrate. Also, if pop music is on, sometimes I will get distracted and start singing along. :p
Half the time I do my reading at school, and a classroom full of loud 15 year old girls is never the most ideal environment in which to read. :/ But, one is able to adapt.

Usually I have to have complete silence,the slightest distraction shatters my concentration. My wife seems totally immune though,and can read with the t.v,radio,or washer going! How does she do it?! I'm into biking n hiking,and for years now I've taken my books to read with birdsong as background. It's quite relaxing,tho' on the odd occasions that someone stumbles across you slouched against a tree you sometimes get the 'he must be a nutter stare'!:rolleyes:

It really depends on whats playing and what I'm reading. Some books I would rather read with out any distractions. But then there are some books that music goes well with. Like if I'm reading fantasy and I want to listen to music some power metal goes wonderful with it.

Back