• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Do you read books in a series consecutively or take breaks?

Do you read books in a series consecutively or take breaks?

• I read them straight through.

Votes: 11 26.8%
  • I read something else in between each volume and come back when in a mood for more.

Votes: 16 39.0%
  • I take a break after feeling like I am overdosing.

Votes: 14 34.1%

• Total voters

shadow9d9

I am wondering. Do most people here read an entire series in order or do you read other books in between volumes?

The series I am currently reading is very long. Each book is some 700 pages or so long. I read other novels between each book in the series. I have always done it that way...don't ask me why. :rolleyes:

I've never read any series straight through, except maybe the Narnia series. The most I might do is read two in a row.

Sometimes I am forced to take a break between books because I am reading them as an author comes out with them, but either way, I read other stuff or else I will OD.

I take breaks for two reasons:

1.) If there are very few books in a series I don't want to read them all and have to wait for more to come out.

2.) If I think I've read too many books and am getting tired of the series. I used to read straight through, but now I think change is a good thing.

I read trilogies only when I get all three books on my shelves, then I go at it all at once. I only start books on a series with a mind to take a break if there are too many books in a series. That said, I have read consecutive books in a series many times already though:

- Jordan's Wheel of Time - 7 consecutive books - that was the latest at that time
- Eddings Belgariad - all five
- Lois McMaster Bujold
- LOTR - uhm... there is no other way of reading this chap
and many others...

ds

I absolutely hate to have to read between series books. I NEVER do it unless the author hasn't published the rest yet or if the book is on hold at the library. Right now, I am reading four series at once, but I take each series and read them through, such as...

Saga of Darren Shan by Darren Shan (not the same guy; alternative personality)--12 books (12th's on hold at library)
Demonata series by Darren Shan (Two out now, third comes out in Nov.)
Vampire Kisses by Ellen Schrieber--3 books (read two, third on hold)
Sandman by Neil Gaiman (library doesn't have these. A disgrace...)
Anita Blake by Laurell K. Hamilton--14 books (all done. read them consecutively. maybe more are coming.)
Harry Potter by WHO ELSE?--7 books (c'mon 7 i'm waiting for you...)
A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket--13 books (Thirteenth came out today!!)

More, but I'm tired of typing, and by the time you guys reach this, you'll be tired of reading my babble too. :D

Doesn't reading 4 series at once constitutes reading between series books? Unless, of course, there are four of you reading concurrently...

ds

I find I have to take a break between books or else I start getting tired of them and I can't appreciate them for what they really are. I enjoy them more when I make myself read a few books inbetween and I'm so excited to go back to the series that I overlook their faults.:)

I usually run from anything in a series:eek: but one day far in the future I'd like to read Trollope from Barchester Towers all the way through, what 45 or so novels? I read the first Barchester Towers, The Warden, several years ago and it was, surprisingly, rich and interesting with unforgettable characters.

I would love to read everything straight and I hate when it's impossible. Like Robin Hobb's Tawny Men-trilogy. I just can't read the third book because I can't remember what happened in the second book. That's why I would love to own those books first.

I shy away from series for the most part but I've gotten into a few and I always have to read other books in between.

It really depends on the series. If it's short series like Pullman's Amber Spyglass books, I might read them all in a row. Otherwise, it depends on my interest level.

I usually read more than one book at a time anyways, so I can skip between a series book and whatever else I'm reading if my interest lags.

I like series that have a fixed end and don't go on forever. I really dislike it when the author carries on and on, runs out of ideas and everything peters out to a sad, drab shadow of the original books in the series.

I'm a shameless series junkie.. I think I'm in the middle of about 5 or so right now...so, of course, I switch them around, mostly based on what's due back at the library soonest, or in some cases I'm waiting for the next one to get here.
One thing I cannot do is read them out of order, though... and usually I try not to be reading multi series in the same genre. I remember a complete burnout a few years ago when I was reading the Necroscope series by Lumley as well as Rice's "Vampire Chronicles", right along with Card's Alvin Maker series and Goodkind's "Sword of Truth".
Needless to say, I had to stop and read standalones for a while.

I don't like reading series out of order either. Even if the sequels are practically self-contained and have detailed references as to what happened beforehand, I prefer to keep track of what order the books go in. I love when people say things like "I started with this book and decided to read the other ones before it". Any reason why you didn't do that beforehand? :confused:

Granted, I did start reading the Discworld novels out of order. Not my fault the library didn't have all the books ;).

Reading a series out of order is of the Dark Side, for sure. There are a few exceptions I guess. If I'd read If Ever I Return Pretty Peggy-O by Sharyn Mcrumb first, I might have skipped the rest of the Ballad series..which would have been a shame. Fortunately, the way they're written, it is easy for the reader to come up to speed on who is who.

I chose the third option-I read an author until I'm sick of him/her and the ncome back to 'em when I'm ready.

It is hard to get a whole series without some of it going out of print. The hard sci-fi seems to get a smaller space on the shelves and a shorter life each year. Sometimes you only see them for a few months as paperbacks. I can't hold on to them for several years before reading them. Every year I wait for one of the dozen or so series I am in the middle of.

If you ask me where each series ended or the characters I could not tell you but a dozen pages into the book and I am right back into it.

I can't re-read books either. As soon as I've read the first chapter, I seem to remember enough details of the plot to make it too boring to continue. I also read several book concurrently.

Back