• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Do you read children's books?

CDA said:
Actually, a fave of mine is Blyton's The Secret Island.

Love love love it!

Weren't there caves involved CDA?:D :D

Are pre-school books allowed? It's not like you take a pile of them to bed at night for a good old read (well not unless you've got a child attached) but I've really enjoyed reading these books to my children over the years.
There are so many good and beautifully illustrated pre-school books now.
Some that spring to mind are the Dr Seuss books, of course, for his wonderful use of words, his amazing imagination and illustrations. Have always loved Where the Wild Things are by Maurice Sendak, Babette Cole - The Hairy Book and The Trouble With Dad. NZ's Lynley Dodd writes a delightful series of Hairy Maclary from Donaldson"s Dairy. What Do you do With A Kangaroo?
by Mercer Mayer. I could go on forever. Anyway, I think they're pretty neat.

Thank you Poppy, for bringing up the subject of picture books. I love them, and have several personal favorites. Meanwhile Back At the Ranch by Trinka Hakes Nobel is one of the best ever. It's hilarious from a kids' perspective, but even funnier for the adult that gets to read the story to the kid in your life. I also like to see various editions of folk tales or poems and see the different illustrators' interpretations. Susan Jeffer's illustration of Robert Frost's Stopping By Woods on a Snowy Evening is unforgettable.

Adult vs 'childish'

I've always found it amusing that whenever a book or a film warns that it contains 'adult themes', this generally means it contains foul language, explicit sex scenes, high levels of violence and... well, you get the idea.

Whereas 'childish' themes seem to be more about heroism, generosity, discovery, adventure, imagination and wonder.

I just think that's interesting.

Do we grow up, or do we simply 'go off'?

I read what appeals to me. Being a young adult, I have an excuse to read books labeled as such, but I'm beginning to venture out to the general fiction section. I have gained some respect for classics, despite my English classes, and I try to balance my reading levels.

I think it's a fundamental right that readers should be free to read what appeals to us, without regard to labels. Most of us freely acknowledge the cyllical nature of our reading lives. Our interests change often, seemingly with no rhyme or reason, so it seems reasonable, that now and then, we might have a need or desire to enjoy the vast splendors of children's literature. I see no need to apologize for a jaunt through my kids' shelves.

The illustration standards of many picture books used to be my favorite part of reading to my pre-readers. The fabulous pictures were so entrancing to me and to the littler set.

Back