• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Do you read children's books?

Violanthe

If you're an adult, do you ever read children's books? Harry Potter is probably the most notorious example of what I'm talking about. A lot of adults are picking up children's (or young adult) novels, especially in the alternative reality (scifi, fantasy, etc.) genres, for their own reading pleasure. Do you do this? Why or why not? Do you find a universal appeal in children's books? Or did you gladly leave them behind when you grew up?

I haven't read Harry Potter but one of my fave books ever is Alice's Adventure's in Wonderland, and I also love Greyfriars Bobby. Recently I read The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time and I am wanting to read Holes.

So yes, I do read children's books occasionally.

I dislike lables, and if you will excuse the pun... I never judge a book by it's cover :D I'll buy a book if I like the sound of it. To me, it's irrelavant what some marketing drone things lables it as :)

I grew up too, but I enjoy the occassional children's book. Labels are useful to a point, but a good story, well written, can be a wonderful reading experience for anyone.

I read children's books most nights for about half an hour to my seven year old. Some are great fun but others like Alice in Wonderland I found pointless and irritating. Pinochio was a bit of a struggle also.

blueboatdriver said:
Some are great fun but others like Alice in Wonderland I found pointless and irritating. Pinochio was a bit of a struggle also.

I love Alice in Wonderland and Pinocchio! But then I haven't grown up yet, and my choice in adult books (Tony Parsons? Ahem) probably proves that :)

Not growing up is a wonderful thing to do! I plan no not doing it. I'll be kicking leaves, dancing in rainstorms, running for the hell of it, and eating too much chocolate icecream for what i hope is a very long time to come.

Wabbit said:
Not growing up is a wonderful thing to do! I plan no not doing it. I'll be kicking leaves, dancing in rainstorms, running for the hell of it, and eating too much chocolate icecream for what i hope is a very long time to come.

Good for you! You say "I'll" like it's gonna happen in the future, I do that now, it's great fun, especially the kicking leaves, and lets not forget the absolute joy that snow brings :D :D

Wabbit said:

same here!!!

Good for you! I hope you never do! Those that pour scorn on the silly, frivolous, foolish joys only do so because life long ago stopped being magical and filled with wonderful moments for them and they resent the fact. So poke out your tounge to the sour puss and take peter pan's hand... it's easy to fly when you know how.

Yeah, I do. Although I'm 17 and I guess I don't quite qualify as an adult, I've been reading at a college level for about eight years. I read Harry Potter, the Inheritance Trilogy by Chris Paolini, the Bartimaeus Trilogy by Jonathan Stroud, The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis, and I'm planning to re-read The Bridge to Terabithia--it made me cry when I was younger. I don't read little-little kids' books, but I'm guilty of reading some made-for-preteens novels. They're one of my guilty pleasures.
I guess one of the reasons they appeal to me is my youth, but the books I select appeal in some way to older people as well. And yeah, they fall into my genre. With the exception of Terabithia, which was a childhood favorite.

Hello, I believe this will be my first time posting here (though I've been lurking for some time now).

I love children's books! After reading strenuous prose with itty-bitty fonts (e.g. Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, phew!), some times it's worth your while to relax a bit and (re)read some books from your childhood.

Currently I have a copy of Wind in the Willows I have yet to start. I have a selection of children's books I read every two years or so and these include Roald Dahl's children's books, the Hobbit, Enid Blyton's Faraway Tree collection, Chronicles of Narnia and a couple of other books that escape my mind at this moment.

I even reread the previous Harry Potters whenever a new one comes out.

I love to pamper the child inside me :D

I love reading children's/young adult books - if they're well written they contain a special kind of magic that you rarely find in adult books. Fortunately for me I work as a bookseller and can blame all childishness on the jobdescription...;). Sometimes as an adult you find a real gem, that you wish you could travel back in time and give to your ten-years-old self. For me Mary Hoffman's "Stravaganza: City of Masks" was such a book. A great YA book: Charles de Lint's "The Blue Girl". Try them out - you won't be disappointed!

pink shadow said:
Fortunately for me I work as a bookseller and can blame all childishness on the jobdescription...;).

Ah, I'm jealous. I often get fed up with novels about women of a certain age and their marriages, and I go running back to the children's section. Once there, though, I quickly feel like a goofus and slink out trying to convey an aura of "oh, I'm just shopping for my children, Kate and Devon, they just love books! They're not here because I just invented them, but look, there's the bus."

btw, how's the Carol Berg book going? I liked her original trilogy, but haven't been able to get into her latest stuff somehow.

Violanthe said:
If you're an adult, do you ever read children's books? Or did you gladly leave them behind when you grew up?
Hi!
I don't sit down and read a whole child's book now, but I do look thru them and remember when I read it and what I was feeling (as much as I can remember back that far). I would like to buy them just so I could look thru them. And, no, I don't want to ever leave them behind just because I grew up. The books I read as a child are still part of me, and I hope I never lose that part of me that is still a child. :)

henrietta said:
oh, I'm just shopping for my children, Kate and Devon, they just love books! They're not here because I just invented them, but look, there's the bus."

btw, how's the Carol Berg book going? I liked her original trilogy, but haven't been able to get into her latest stuff somehow.

Hihi - blaming the kids - a tried and true recipe. I use that too sometimes - and I don't even have kids!

I haven't read Carol Berg before, just started a couple of weeks ago with "Son of Avonar" and liked the fact that the protagonist was a mature, strong woman and that the story was told from her perspective (and also that a gorgeous naked man turned up on page two ;)) . So far I think the story's been good with a few unexpected twist. Remains to see what she'll do with it though. Hopefully the rest will be good. Did you read the Transformation series? How was that? What was it about Bridge of D'Arnath that put you off?

Back