• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Do you read non-fiction?

I'm a new-comer. I read more non-fiction than fiction. 'Books about books" always grab me. All of Nicholas Basbanes and Brian Lamb(C-Span 2). Fiction comes to me via 2 book clubs.---Robinson Crusoe---

I do enjoy to read the occational biography on interesting people, mainly politicians, statesmen that sort of thing.

I also read political science books, not that I necessarily need for work or anything, but it interests me. Books on democracy, EU, globalization, etc.

Right now, I am reading a biography of one of the two prime ministers of Denmark in the 20th century, who had the greatest impact on Danish political history and the social development of our country: Jens Otto Krag.

I read more fiction, I must admid, but I enjoy the occational non-fiction.

Hobitten

Hi Hobitten, I noticed that you read political science books for fun!! I found this amusing because I am writing my literature review for my PhD at the moment and escape to fiction at every opportunity. Have you read Paradise and Power by Robert Kagan? It's a very talked about book at the moment and whilst I don't agree with everything he says, he offers an interesting view of the transalantic crisis.

In answer to the thread - yes, I read loads of non-fiction but it tends to revolve around my research area and general current affairs. I prefer the escapism of fiction though...

I pretty much stick to fiction but I do like WW2 books. My last read was "The Musicians of Auschwitz" by Fania Fenelon. I also like books on Spiritualism.

Originally posted by Blade
My last read was "The Musicians of Auschwitz" by Fania Fenelon.
Musicians in a concetration camp? That's an intiguing title. Could you write something more what this book is about?

Hi Clara, I would not say I read pol. sci. for fun, but because I am interested in current affairs as well as political and social history (I am a historian by education, though not by profession).

Thanks for the tip about Robert Kagan. Sounds interesting, just the thing for me.

Like you, though, I prefer escapism through fiction. I usually have a fiction as well as a non-fiction on my bedside table at the same time.

Hey Idun,I tend to ramble on a bit when explaining things, so I'll quote straight from the books cover, if that's allowed!:)

Half French, half Jewish, pretty young singer/pianist Fania Fenelon was arrested for Resistance work and sent to the infamous women's camp of Birkenau - part of the Auschwitz extermination-complex. There she would have died a degrading, lonely death like millions of others, but for her outstanding musical talents. She was chosen for what must rank among the most bizarre phenomena of the Nazi holocaust - the "Women's Orchestra" of Auschwitz.
Created by camp commandant Kramer, an SS monster who fancied himself to be a music lover, the orchestra accompanied prisoners on their way to work-details and to the gas chambers. They also provided musical relaxation for camp guards at the end of a "hard day". The women had to please the camp hierarchy to stay in existence....

Hope that is okay for you!

Originally posted by Ross
...Tom Clancy and Carl Steiner's Shadow Warriors: Inside the Special Forces. I only read that one because I thought it might be interesting since Clancy wrote it. It was.

Ross, thanks for the title! I wanted to read some about these subjects, and had no idea what books are there. Gonna look it up...
Again, thanks! :)

I was wondering couple of days ago whether there were someone at this forum who STILL liked to read Philosophies.

I am now reading more non-fiction books, most are psychological and philosophcal book. Uh---------, coz they are my assignments,so. :eek:

Also because I am now questing, searching for something, not knowing exactly what they are, but really really really really... longing for some answeres. :confused:

Some of the current readings:
Being and Nothingness by Jean Paul Sartre
Freedom and Destiny by Rollo May
The Greek Myths by Robert Graves
Bible
second sex by simone De Beauvoir
Dscipline and Punish by Foucault
Mental testing

would be great to meet some at the forum who like to read those kind books.

BEsts,
watercrystal

I read from time to time some pedagogical and psychological books and ariticles. The last one was "The growth of Sociability" by H. R. Schaffer. As for a book from 1981 it's quite actual. From philosophy I've read lately "If there is no God" by L. Kolakowski. And I have Kierkegaard on my bookshelf, but don't have time and strength to read it now. Maybe in few weeks. :)

Idun said:
From philosophy I've read lately "If there is no God" by L. Kolakowski. And I have Kierkegaard on my bookshelf, but don't have time and strength to read it now. Maybe in few weeks. :)

:) hi, Idun, how do you think about it,' if there isno god'? (coz i am now dwelling on this kind of thing now, i know, i am kinda crazy :eek: )
Thanks for telling me. Bests, :)

I think it's very intriguing and thought-provoking book. It describes various theories which say that the rules of Christian religion are senseless, and then proves, they aren't. Even though it protects in some way Christianity, I think that the Church Hierarchy wouldn't agree with it, because Kolakowski's analysis are based on "secular" philosophy, logical and metaphysical thinking, without referring to any Christian dogmats. Example without getting into too much philosophical deliberating: Nietsche said, that Christian religion is for the weak, who will be destroyed. Kolakowski answers, that as for a religion of loosers and the weak, who are meant to die out, they have been doing surprisingly well for the last two thousand years.:)

Idun,
Don't let Kierkegaard scare you off. I have read Fear and Trembling and The Sickness Unto Death and didn't find them as difficult as I was led to believe they would be. In any event, they are primarily concerned with the difficulty of making the "leap of faith" required for religious faith as Kierkegaard understood it.

I'm not going to be scared off, but I feel I need to be in a proper mood and mental state to read Kierkegaard. I have a preconceived idea that his works are very depressive, which thesis would be proved by the titles you have given. And I need time to figure out what he means, as it is with all other philosophers. The time which I now lacks. Anyway, thanks for encouraging me. Which Kierkegaard's book would you suggest me to start with?

I've read some foucault and de beauvoir. if that stuff interests you, check out gender trouble, by judith butler. we used to cite her all the time in policy debate tournaments back in high school when we wanted to unleash the gendered language argument.

Idun,
You could start with either of the titles I mentioned above. They are both rather short and, if I remember correctly, are written in regular prose (as opposed to, say, Heidegger's Being & Time). However, they are the only Kierkegaard books that I have read, so there may be others out there which are more accessible.

Non-fiction reads

I'm new on the board, and almost don't know where to start. So, I'd thought I'd start with the easy stuff -- like answering simple questions :) I read a lot of non-fiction, primarily for research. So it depends on what I'm working on as to what I'm reading. I'm currently reading two great books on Cuba: Traveler's Tales, Cuba, edited by Tom Miller and Cuba Diaries: An American Housewife In Havana by Isadora Tattlein. Both are fascinating.

personally i rarely read non-fiction, when i do its for research on medievel mythology (greek, norse, egyptian, etc.) to use in my books and such. but although i don't read philosophical books, i do read fantasy books that hold MUCH philosophy... i mean terry goodkind's latest book in the soT series "naked empire" will give you enough philosophy to chew on yourentire life!

Back