• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Do you read non-fiction?

I usually read non-fiction, it's harder to guess what is going to happen next. For someone who is scared of heights, I seem to have developed a worrying interest in climbing books - 'touching the void', 'the death zone', etc

Darren Lewis said:
I wonder how many people read non-fiction? I must admint, that apart from technical books related to work, I rarely read non-fiction.

I know that Ian Sanders likes to read non-fiction, but does anyone else?

Yeah Ive read a few.
THE Blue Nile: Tells you about all the famous geographers that reached the nile, from early XV all the way to Napoleon.
Horatio Nelson: The life of this great war strategic, and navy commander.

I read non-fiction about as much as fiction. I love Biography, history, philosophy, science writing, travel, all kinds of stuff. I think it was Tom Wolfe who said that reality can be so strange that if you put it in a novel, no one would ever believe it. I also like that vague area of semi-fiction, so often found in historical or bigraphical fiction where the known rality is blended with the fruits of the author's imagination.

:) buddi

I rarely read non-fiction but I like it anyway. The best non-fiction book I've ever read is "On Wings of Eagles" by Ken Follett. Really thrilling one, I recommend it to everyone.

buddi said:
I think it was Tom Wolfe who said that reality can be so strange that if you put it in a novel, no one would ever believe it. I also like that vague area of semi-fiction, so often found in historical or bigraphical fiction where the known rality is blended with the fruits of the author's imagination.

reality can be so strange that if you put it in a novel, no one would ever believe it.

Like this. *chewing*

What would you recommend(to) me, Mr. Buddi? i am interested in that kind books ( blending reality with imagination, without clear-cut line or border between reality and irreality). but... don't know much.

I like to read non fiction books, as i have said before. :)

I love to read non-fiction. I like biographies, autobiographies, travel, and accounts of true adventures/survival stories. My favorite non-fiction book is Leap of Faith by Queen Noor. It was very enlightening.

I have read a lot of non-fiction particularly since archealogy(sp) fascinates me. And then there are books about people experiences in travel - The Blue Nile is one of them.

I also read biographies. Truman was the last one. I enjoyed that one.

I also have some older books - Incidents of Travel in Yucatan by John Lloyd Stephens is one of my favorites about discovering Mayan ruins.

The past year or two I have not read that much non-fiction because I have become so involved with mysteries.

My thoughts on Non-Fiction

Nonfiction is life.

Biographies unfolding like chapters in a book.

The fondness of truth can not be dismissed.

Fraudulence reality belongs in fantasy.

Creativity begins with just one thought
transforming fantasy into reality.

. . .and fiction becomes nonfiction. . .

I read a lot of gardening books and have had a gander at the new Trinny & Susannah book too. :rolleyes:

For some time now I've wanted to read one definitive biography on Winston Churchill. Does anyone have a suggestion?

RaVeN

RaVeN said:
For some time now I've wanted to read one definitive biography on Winston Churchill. Does anyone have a suggestion?

RaVeN

You might want to consider Roy Jenkins' recent book.

I can't give you any kind of comparative recommendation, as this is the only Churchill biog. I've read. However, Jenkins' is a good biographer, with an exhaustive approach, and uses his own indepth experience in C20th British politics to good effect. A little long-winded at times, but worth the effort IMO.

I tend to read non-fiction about events I know nothing about. For example, "Hot Zone" is the true story of an Ebola outbreak in the U.S. that never made the papers. And "Flu" told the tale of the 1914 influenza outbreak that killed hundreds of thousands of people over the world -- more than the Black Plague. Again, nobody knows about it less than a century later. How very strange that such things fall away from the mind to become invisible. :confused: Too scary to remember, I guess. The remembering would paralyze a person and not let them ever be happy again.

Cathy

Similar content

Cathy C, you would like "The Coming Plague" by Laurie Garrett. I couldn't put it down, and I was on vacation, reading until 3:00AM
It's all true stuff, unfortunately for us.

ON adverage about every 3rd or 4th book I read is non-fiction, mostly dealing with History, and most of those about WW II.

Sapper41, you might want to take a look at the series about the US Armed Forces. They're oversized, coffee-table books about the Marines, or the Army or Navy. Bought the Navy one for my father-in-law, and the Marine one for my brother-in-law. There are some super first hand accounts from WWII that are terrific (including the REAL story about Iwo Jima) and photos taken by soldiers that have never before been published.

I picked up The Coming Plague. Looking forward to starting it. Thanks, polockdoc!

Back